Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM

216 posts, read 627,928 times

Advertisements

Hello-I would be interested in hearing about any safe (preferably suburban) areas that are a commutable distance to the inner harbour area. I am exploring Balimore as a possibility for a job move and currently reside in Columbus, Ohio. I have lived in Chicago (in the city) and prefer an area where I would feel totally safe walking my dogs at night...I can spend up to $2300/month on rent or purchase a home in the 400k area.

Thoughts????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
Federal Hill is relatively safe, and it's just south of the harbor. But that is definitely urban. What would be an acceptable commute to you? There would be a fair amount of traffic driving into downtown in the mornings (and leaving in the evenings). Columbia or Ellicott City are nice suburbs, with commuting times of 20-25 minutes without traffic. You also might want to check out Severna Park, Arnold, Crownsville, or Millersville in Anne Arundel County. These communities would have similar commuting times as Columbia/Ellicott City.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Default follow up...

good point..a doable commute for me is 35 minutes or less in traffic....

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 AM

57 posts, read 248,159 times
I'd recommend checking out a map of the light rail and then see which areas interest you. That way if you decided you didn't want to drive into the city for your commute you could just hop on the lightrail and that'll take you downtown. Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 12,473 times
A realtor will not be able to discuss safety with you in any way. (it is entirely against the code of ethics) if the realtor says its a "safe" area and something happens you would have recourse against that individual. That being said the Federal Hill and Canton areas have great proximity to the inner harbor and are very "popular" with young professionals. For crime stastics you can call a local police precinct in the area you area interested in. Federal Hill would be Baltimore City Southern District. Canton Baltimore City South Eastern District. Feel free to reply if I can provide any more information.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Anywhere around the Inner Harbor area is safe in terms of crime. Recommended neighborhoods to look into: Butchers Hill and Patterson Park (good dog walking in huge park), Canton, Fells Point, Brewers Hill (good dog walking along the waterfront) Federal Hill and surrounding areas (good dog walking in park) Mt. Vernon (not so good dog walking but beautiful areas and streetscape).

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the advice! I am looking at the light rail schedule. Which one of the stops would get me to some of the neighborhoods that sobo 16 recommended? I see Mt Washington but the others are confusing to me..falls road lutherville, timonium..Thanks!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM

57 posts, read 248,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
Thanks for the advice! I am looking at the light rail schedule. Which one of the stops would get me to some of the neighborhoods that sobo 16 recommended? I see Mt Washington but the others are confusing to me..falls road lutherville, timonium..Thanks!
Basically if you take that light rail from Lutherville/Timonium, it will take you through Mt. Washington, Hampden, and all the way downtown. Once you're downtown you can cab it anywhere, like Federal Hill, Canton and Fells point. The cabs are relatively cheap in comparison to other cities. There is also a water taxi that'll take you from Federal Hill over to Fells point. Hope that helps!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,704 times
Best area hands down for dog lovers: Wyman Park/Hampden (the further east you go and the closer to Wyman Park the better). Wyman Park is technically an "on-leash" park, but frankly everyone walks their dogs offleash there, especially on the trails and the lower fields, (the leash-enforcement people show up for about a week every year and a half to write some symbolic tickets, but they're too lazy to chase down anybody who's more than 20 feet from the road ) and you'll meet tons of people. The main part of the park above the woods is safe at night. My wife took the dog down there all the time. Plus you can get on 83 and be downtown in 5-20 minutes, depending on the time of day (the neighborhood is only about 5 miles north of downtown). Plus 36th Street has a lot of restaurants and bars, and Charles Village, just on the other side of the park, has plenty of stuff to do.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 102,081 times
Default Ridgley's Delight

I would recommend Ridgley's Delight. It's centrally located, relatively safe, and a little more affordable than some of the other neighborhoods mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore