Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkj View Post
Maybe I'm a sucker but I've enjoyed living in Baltimore and had positive interactions with local
officials, so I don't mind continuing to put my middle-class tax dollars toward the city.
So long as you're going in with your eyes open.

Quote:
I think we've ruled out townhouses because we're really itching for a real yard.
There's no substitute.

Quote:
...but the areas I explored in Ten Hills today seemed to be pretty well-maintained.
Along with Roland Park they are some of the nicest choices available.

Quote:
We are looking at doing a $200-250k house on a 15 year mortgage,
or a $300-350k house on a 30-year mortgage.
You'll have more choices at the 300-350 range

Have fun looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM

17 posts, read 26,718 times
Thanks a lot! We're not picky with regard to "updating"-- if the big parts (plumbing, heating, roof, appliances) work and don't need to be replaced in the next two years, I'm happy. I roll my eyes at granite countertops and other such "musts" some of my peers have. And in terms of split-level vs. bungalow vs. cottage vs. whatever, as long as it's not a sub-street-level apartment, it's an upgrade for us!

I'm hesitant about Dickeyville because of the potentially awful commute for me down to Laurel... but perhaps we'll expand our search there if we strike out everywhere else.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,436 times
Dickeyville wouldn't be a bad commute. Take 70 from the park-and-ride to 695 to 95. Easy peasy.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default Yes, look at Dickeyville

A nice, historic, somewhat isolated milltown. Lots of interesting neighbors.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM

253 posts, read 655,094 times
I lived on the city side of Catonsville (Westgate) for a few years, and coming from NYC, it didn't feel unsafe to me. I'd avoid the North Bend road side of town, and stick to Ten Hills area. It gets a little rough on that side from the lower income apartments. Crime-wise, there's been petty theft and car break-ins, but nothing serious that I know of? Living-wise, it is near 695 and downtown Catonsville is a wonderful place to hang and eat. Community-wise, people there watch out for one another. So long as you have common sense, keep doors locked and possibly installing a security system, you should be ok.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks! We're now looking pretty seriously at Hunting Ridge... my fiance is very excited about the prospect of having the Gwynn Falls Trail so close. Our realtor has urged us to stay financially practical though, and we're wondering if we should lose those thousands of dollars per year paying city taxes when we're effectively living in the suburbs (vs getting a "more expensive" county house and ending up with a lower monthly payment).

Anyone want to assure me that buying in the area is a good investment and that a house in that neighborhood will at least hold its value(ish) for the next 5-10 years? Pretty please?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Anyone want to assure me that buying in the area is a good investment and that a house in that neighborhood will at least hold its value(ish) for the next 5-10 years? Pretty please?
Getting some funding for the Red Line would help property values in Hunting Ridge and Edmondson Vill. Keep an eye on the transportation bill currently banging around Annapolis.

Those areas by the trail are so pretty and unique; the tax situation is a real concern if you can't find anything comparable in the county in your price range. I'm not sure there is anything.

Go Baltimore Red Line

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Of course, no one can guarantee it, but I think the Hunting Ridge house would have moderate, but not spectacular, appreciation. As long as Social Security remains in Woodlawn, there will be a need for convenient housing. Here's a report for January, 2013, with Baltimore showing a 1.31% increase (over the year) in median listing prices at line 27: Real Estate Market Data and Statistics from Realtor.com - Realtor.com®

Note that the median listing price is $238,000. If the house you like isn't way over the median price, I think you should be OK. Perhaps your realtor can pull some data that will show *trends* in actual sale prices. These would be more accurate than listing prices. Plus, there's at least one house on Briarcliff Road that shows evidence of a professional flipper, so they think the neighborhood is worth it.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-27-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default My 2cents

Do it, if you like the house, the price, and are planning to stay in Baltimore for the next five years. You will have interesting neighbors, including Michael Fletcher, a Washington Post journalist, and Sheila Dixon, the disgraced former neighbor.

Check out the book Not in My Neighborhood; any city or county library should have it. Hunting Ridge was built to be a prestige community, meaning that those houses have quality.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM

Great, thanks for the feedback! Still plenty of houses to look at, but I'm glad to know Hunting Ridge has some votes of confidence. As far as I'm concerned, as long as we can sell it for anything more than the total of the down payment + any substantial improvements we make to the house, we're well ahead of where we would be if we rented for the next 5-10 years.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'll try to tune in more often and answer other people's questions when I can, so I'm not just leeching off of your collective wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore