Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
The only thing I always suconsciously counted was the number of gunshots. Ah, only six, and I turned over.

Ever get any thru the house or notice marks on the brink outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
A constant question for homebuyers is space vs. location. The good part about the houses you are looking at is you can still walk to all of the bars and restaurants of Canton and Highlandtown. Unlike certain up and coming areas, highlandtown still offers walkability just a bit farther than Canton.

There always comes a time where you feel like you need more space. I had some friends who lived on East St., a block south of Baltimore and absolutely loved it. Their house was a beautiful and they had a ton of space. Now they are in a pretty small place in the heart of Canton which they also love.

Personally, I would rather take the bigger house because space is something that will become an issue at some point. But you and your wife should definitely make sure you feel comfortable with the area. But I do think that area will revitalize very quickly.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Ever get any thru the house or notice marks on the brink outside?

Baltimoreans and our guns.....I used to hear shots often coming from Park Heights... I used to be able to tell the *bang* *bang* *bang* about two seconds in between.. was just some idiot letting off steam.. But when you hear*bangbangbang* *bangbangbang*.. Some poor soul is being shot at. Once I heard *bangbangbang* followed by a prompt *ppppppppt* *ppppppt*...silence...then an azz of sirens.. I checked the paper for several days and sure enough someone was called home to glory.. probably the guy with the *bangbangbang* because the *pppppt* guy sounded like a higher caliber weapon with a large clip...you would be surprised how far sound travels in the still of the night....

But to your point...Can a bullet actually pierce the brick facade of a rowhouse? Im taking about a 9mm not some elephant gun or hand cannon.....Sorry to focus on morbid stuff just curious though....

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
I hear shots in Bolton Hill at night when I'm outside. Not sure where they are coming from but I would think Madison/Upton. They sound far away but you will hear it go back and forth. Never heard an ambulance after but that would be weird. I've heard of bullets going thru windows and think there was something on the news a few years ago about a home in Cherry Hill that this happened and maybe someone was hit in the house.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 31,615 times
Thanks to everyone for their advice and thoughts. We're first time home buyers (can't remember if I had that in my OP), so the whole process has involved learning a lot about the pros and cons of certain properties and neighborhoods. It seems like a neighborhood that is in flux, like Highlandtown, is particularly tough to gauge.

Our realtor also recommended we think about Greektown as well, so I think between Patterson Park, Highlandtown, and Greektown, we'll have some great properties to choose from. Greektown is supposed to also be a neighborhood in transition, although we're not familiar enough (yet) with it to know how it compares with Highlandtown.

Anyone have strong thoughts on that?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM

I really like Greektown. Greektown has never really been an area with much crime, but it is sort of undergoing a rejuvenation right now with some new housing options, and some new businesses. Greektown will not be as close of a walk to Canton, but is probably safer than a lot of parts of Highlandtown right now.

If I was looking to buy my first home to buy in an up and coming area I'd definitely be looking in Greektown, Highlandtown and Pigtown. Or a place like Remington or Greenmount East if I was so concerned with being near the highways.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default My 2cents

Just had lunch at Matthews on Eastern Avenue with a guy who lives in Greektown. Because of Patterson Park, I would still take Highland Avenue over Greektown, which has its own crime issues and mobsters. Really. Both are in transition.

My only advice to the OP is this: The decision is yours and you will be the only person living the house and in the neighborhood. None of the posters will. So follow your heart and instincts. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I really like Greektown. Greektown has never really been an area with much crime, but it is sort of undergoing a rejuvenation right now with some new housing options, and some new businesses. Greektown will not be as close of a walk to Canton, but is probably safer than a lot of parts of Highlandtown right now.

If I was looking to buy my first home to buy in an up and coming area I'd definitely be looking in Greektown, Highlandtown and Pigtown. Or a place like Remington or Greenmount East if I was so concerned with being near the highways.
Someone recommended Remington to me the other day. Do you know much about it? I was told a lot of younger city workers(teachers, police, fire) are starting to buy there. Cheaper than Hampden but still near The Avenue.

I love going to Greektown for dinner. The neighborhood has a very unique feel. Seems to be pretty quiet.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
Hi all - So, I'm that "booster" barante referred to--I work at the Southeast Community Development Corporation and posted that article. I also live in Highlandtown on Gough Street, about 3 blocks from 100 S. Highland.

If you move to the 100 block of S. Highland, you'll be in good company. A few folks have moved onto that block recently, and I'd be happy to introduce you to them. Of course, it probably goes without saying that I love Highlandtown and think you should definitely make the move. Besides all the great things everyone else has mentioned, Highlandtown is full of excellent people from all over the world. And the food around here is fab.

If you want to chat more, email me at [email]kari@southeastcdc.org[/email]. The Southeast CDC has a loan program to help homeowners buy and renovate homes. That block, and a few others, are eligible. I can give you more information and connect you to more residents from Highlandtown.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Someone recommended Remington to me the other day. Do you know much about it? I was told a lot of younger city workers(teachers, police, fire) are starting to buy there. Cheaper than Hampden but still near The Avenue.

I love going to Greektown for dinner. The neighborhood has a very unique feel. Seems to be pretty quiet.
Remington is kinda sandwiched in between Hampden and Charles Village so It's kind of in a can't miss location based on the activity around it. Some of the blocks are awesome tree lined streets, some need some work.

Remington has some good energy, there is going to be a large new development called 25th Street Station starting there soon, a new theatre and restaurant by the Woodberry Kitchen crew are going into an old tire store, and already a couple well reviewed places like The Dizz, Charm City Cakes, and a place called WC Harlan that just opened. Pretty sure you can walk to The Avenue from most of it.

New Remington bar takes patrons to another era | On the Town | Baltimore magazine

Spike Gjerde to open restaurant in Remington - baltimoresun.com

25th Street Station | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore