Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong on this but I think New Orleans has the highest homicide rate in the country. That doesn't stop me from really loving it though. It is one of my favorite places to visit during the cooler months. Do I wish homicide rates were lower? Sure. I am hoping one day these gang-bangers and thugs will realize there is more to life than killing someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Is the pace calculation just straight arithmetic? I would think you'd have account for the higher murders in the summer.
It could happen, but it's not like its snowed at all. It's been chilly, but barely freezing days. Last year the biggest surge was at the end of the year, when Batts took over. Thankfully the new staff has it way more under control than during the limbo of all the new hirings.

East Baltimore is also way more under control right now, but west is its typical warzone so far.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
WTF?

Baltimore has more murders than any other city on the east coast besides NYC and even then its no comparison, because they only have 62 murders for a population of over 8mil. What is exactly going on in the city? It must be a lot of beefing going on and its only going to get worse as it gets warmer.
Are you Bawlmer? Ah ha! Found you again!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
WTF?

Baltimore has more murders than any other city on the east coast besides NYC and even then its no comparison, because they only have 62 murders for a population of over 8mil. What is exactly going on in the city? It must be a lot of beefing going on and its only going to get worse as it gets warmer.

Baltimore isn't like DC I went to Towson myself and spend quite a few years in Bmore. Its not about neighborhood crews beefing like DC but like another person said, dope boys standing on the corner with nothing to lose. It could be 6 inches of snow on the ground and you will still find dudes on the corner ready to take a bullet in the head. If I was a killer in Baltimore and wanted to ride on my enemies I would know exactly where to find them, on the corner "loafin".

Another note Baltimore police dont seem adequate enough to handle the city. The police in the DC area is like the military compared to Baltimore area.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Baltimore isn't like DC I went to Towson myself and spend quite a few years in Bmore. Its not about neighborhood crews beefing like DC but like another person said, dope boys standing on the corner with nothing to lose. It could be 6 inches of snow on the ground and you will still find dudes on the corner ready to take a bullet in the head. If I was a killer in Baltimore and wanted to ride on my enemies I would know exactly where to find them, on the corner "loafin".

Another note Baltimore police dont seem adequate enough to handle the city. The police in the DC area is like the military compared to Baltimore area.

I have to tell you.. those guys have their heads on "the swival" 24/7.. I may have told the story of how I was riding around W. Baltimore looking for a certain address... When I rounded the corner the corner boys eyeballed me and my car until I was out of sight..If I had doubled back and come around again.. it would have been a misunderstanding waiting to happen....I have ridden by stoops, corners, alleys, and what not and its denizes snap to attention and monitor you sternly.... If I were stupid enough to return their steely glare...I could easily end up being one of those murder stats for mistaken ID because they will shoot and not even ask questions later if they feel threatened of if it serves their rep... Its amazing that there are some folks who have done so much dirt, grime, and crime in this town that they have to constantly watch their back and be in a constant state of alert and on guard......smh

Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Not sure what I get for paying some of the highest property taxes in the area. Scared Police force, pot holes the size motorcycles, groups of men who have nothing to do all day but stand on the corner looking to rob, pillage, and deal.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
81 in ChiTown as of 03/30/13. And it has been a cold February and March. More to come when it heats up.

I am sick of it.
Huh? Temperatures were pretty average from a historic perspective. February had 14 homicides, the fewest of any month in like 50 years. March had 16 nearly the same.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Default Yup!

During the late 1980's, the crime in DC had gotten so bad, The National Guard was called out to patrol the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
"..Its not about neighborhood crews beefing like DC but like another person said, dope boys standing on the corner with nothing to lose."

I don't know about this statement being totally true. They've always been neighborhood crews and beefs, it depends on what part of the city you reside in.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"..Its not about neighborhood crews beefing like DC but like another person said, dope boys standing on the corner with nothing to lose."

I don't know about this statement being totally true. They've always been neighborhood crews and beefs, it depends on what part of the city you reside in.

Guys hanging on the corner unfortunately is a prerequisite for the beginning of a beef because it usually pisses somebody off..whether its residents who are afraid and dont want people loitering on the corner, to drug dealers who feel someone is trying to muscle in our their game, to teens simply looking to maintain their "turf".

I was doing yard work late one afternoon and a group of good kids that I have seen around from my neighborhood met up on their bikes at the corner.. they were about 15-17 years of age..A car full of teenagers was passing by and shortly after it passed these teens they stopped.. Unbeknownst to the neighborhood kids.. they were being observed by the teens in the vehicle...the car's back up lights came on just as I walked up to the kids on the bike and made them aware of the situation..As soon as I walked up the car.. which was about 30 yards away slammed into gear and continued on its way. Robbery in progress? Mistaken Identity? Who knows.. the point is hanging on the corner sends mixed messages depending on the observer(s) and the neighborhood/city where you live. Therefore, I encouraged the youth to stay off the corners...especially if you have a yard, parks, and other amenities nearby that you can frequent....Is it your constitutional right to stand on a public street? Sure it is.. but this is Baltimore ladies and gentlemen.. so some common streetsmart sense is in order...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore