Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times

Advertisements

Lexington Market is getting a 20-25 million dollar facelift. This is great news for the area.

Lexington Market eyed for $25M renovation, new vendors targeted - Baltimore Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Great! I like the gritty feel of Lexington Market, but it's getting a little old. I'm ready for a change. I would like to add, however, that no amount of renovation will bring folks from the Harbor over to Lexington Market, if the drugs/bootleg sales that occur out in the open aren't stopped.

I'm also glad to hear LA Fitness is building a new gym at Towson Commons.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Great! I like the gritty feel of Lexington Market, but it's getting a little old. I'm ready for a change. I would like to add, however, that no amount of renovation will bring folks from the Harbor over to Lexington Market, if the drugs/bootleg sales that occur out in the open aren't stopped.

I'm also glad to hear LA Fitness is building a new gym at Towson Commons.

Its seems like they are gearing up for the potential gentrification of the area.. What is going to be interesting is if some of the smaller "mom and pop" and many of the other cart vendors get displaced. If they do.. they will likely end up on Eutaw Street along with the others.. Some people like that cluttered and busy urban environment with street vendors.. others not so much.....I guess we shall see.. The clinics are being moved over into Washington Village and Hollins Market to the dismay of the folks that have worked so hard to revive those areas....

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I don't think street vendors are a problem. It's the "other" stuff. I think you are right though. This area seems to be one of the next districts to see some gentrification.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Good news. Never had a problem going to the market myself. People just need to stop being afraid of minorities.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

226 posts, read 363,991 times
good move for the city, hopefully they dont get rid of all of the hometown flavor in an effort to attract the tourist

Old 04-03-2013, 03:14 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Good news. Never had a problem going to the market myself. People just need to stop being afraid of minorities.

I dont know if that's the issue. There are minorities all over the City.. Highlandtown for instance and its actually becoming destination / attraction in its own right. I think its some of the activities going on that is off putting. The area is not at the 'tipping point' meaning enough shopper, visitors, etc versus loafers, addicts, and drug pushers... Once it tips then the less desirable activities will slowly move to other sections of the area.....Police presence will increase with the arrival of the new economic demographic and help accelerate that change....Unfortunately right now there are sections of downtown benefiting from the loafers congregating around Lexington Mkt because they are not in front of their establishments.. Lexington Market, portions of Howard Street, and W. Baltimore's the block on around to the War Plaza and "the courts" are where most of the loafing is occurring.....which keeps it away for the Inner Harbor , Charles Street, Camden Yards and the CHarles Center.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Never had a problem going to the market myself.
Neither did I when I was there a few years ago. But I don't see any point in going back. It is low class. Poor food at high prices. Fine if you want to brag at an up-scale cocktail party that you went slumming at Lexington Market. Otherwise, why bother? I went to the Lex Market when I was a kid because I did not know any better. Now I'd rather go to the Towson Mall.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
I'd rather go to cross st market. Just seems cleaner.

The food at Lexington Market was never that good. The questionable people who hangout inside and outside, and the occasion news story about sanitation was a turn off for me.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM

92 posts, read 173,566 times
I've been to Cross Street Market several times and I love it there. Haven't had the chance to check out Lexington yet but I've meaning to for some time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore