Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 AM

16 posts, read 31,663 times

Advertisements

We are a relatively middle class, working family with young children that enjoys the city and what it has to offer. We also enjoy being involved in artistic and musical endeavors, as well as community development (both civic and faith based). I've gotten a few recommendations of neighborhoods that might be of interest to us, but was hoping those of you who live in the city would have others?

I'm open to the west side county also. The organizations that we want to partner with are near Edmundson Ave, Curtis Bay, and Charles Village. We do have young children and really do want to send them to public schools. I am knowledgeable about city schools. I am less concerned about a schools MSA scores, and more interested in parental/community involvement and overall safety issues. I like the housing options on the Harford Road corridor (Lauraville, Hamilton) but it is a trek from downtown and work.

I really do appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I don't think Curtis Bay is going to improve for many years. It's an interesting place with an interesting history but that history is largely industrial and it bears the pollution of that practice.

Some progress is being made with the Uplands redevelopment on the western end of Edmondson Ave. There are some nice communities around there, and some that are not as nice.

Hamilton and Lauraville are a bit removed from downtown but there seems to be a good bit of civic engagment. If you're looking for a lot of house and yard, that's a good place to look.

But of your list, I'd say that Charles Village and its surrounding, less expensive communities (Waverly, Remington, Harwood) are the best bets for up-coming neighborhoods with great civic engagement. Remington is furthest along of those three.

This is a good weekly event that draws folks from all over the North Baltimore community. Might get a good idea of what awaits. Baltimore's 32nd Street Farmers Market

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't think Curtis Bay is going to improve for many years. It's an interesting place with an interesting history but that history is largely industrial and it bears the pollution of that practice.

Some progress is being made with the Uplands redevelopment on the western end of Edmondson Ave. There are some nice communities around there, and some that are not as nice.

Hamilton and Lauraville are a bit removed from downtown but there seems to be a good bit of civic engagment. If you're looking for a lot of house and yard, that's a good place to look.

But of your list, I'd say that Charles Village and its surrounding, less expensive communities (Waverly, Remington, Harwood) are the best bets for up-coming neighborhoods with great civic engagement. Remington is furthest along of those three.

This is a good weekly event that draws folks from all over the North Baltimore community. Might get a good idea of what awaits. Baltimore's 32nd Street Farmers Market

I would add Woodberry, Medfield, Hampden, and Ednor Gardens...simply in terms of them being noticed more now by potential buyers in addition to having fairly strong neighborhood associations.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would add Woodberry, Medfield, Hampden, and Ednor Gardens...simply in terms of them being noticed more now by potential buyers in addition to having fairly strong neighborhood associations.
^Yup. With the exception of perhaps Woodberry, I think most of these are pretty well established and not exactly up-coming. I guess we read that differently.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
^Yup. With the exception of perhaps Woodberry, I think most of these are pretty well established and not exactly up-coming. I guess we read that differently.
I was mainly referring to "the hill" section of Woodberry and not Clipper Mill. I have heard there are still some...and Im quoting a Woodberry resident... "hillbillies" living in them there hills. What that means I imagine, is subject to ones own interpretation. I would like to see what is happening in Woodberry creep across Greenspring. I think the areas right along Greenspring between Druid Hill Ave and W. Coldspring Lane is fairly stable.. the further west you go it destabilizes quickly as you get into Park Heights. ."historic" Park Heights/Park Circle is the focus of some rehab and potential infill but I believe it is still heavily subsidized and incentivized to make them attractive and is really appealing only to residents who are first time homebuyers and likely from Baltimore and often from the same area.. Not that that is a bad thing..some of the other areas listed though have attracted market rate buyers from all over the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore