Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM

620 posts, read 1,073,805 times

Advertisements

When visiting a city , I feel like a great way to see the "local" city is taking the city bus like the residents do.

I will be in Bmore for 2 days and want to do this.

What bus will give me a good view of the city of baltimore . I dont mind passing through the ghetto if need be.

What bus line covers the most area ???

Thanx for any and all info !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,848 times
MTA bus routes
#1 (Covers a good chunk of West Baltimore as well as Federal Hill and Locust Point via downtown)
#8/48 (North-South route that goes from downtown to Towson through the heart of Baltimore)
#5 (Covers Mondawmin, Reservoir Hill and other West Baltimore Neighborhoods then travels through Lexington Market and downtown before venturing through East Baltimore to its terminal in Cedonia, near the edge of town)
#11 (Towson, Northern Baltimore, Charles Village, Penn station, Mt. Vernon, downtown, Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Canton)
#36 (Covers a lot of SW and NE/East Baltimore and downtown)
#54 (Penn North ,Mondawmin, Park Heights, Milford Mill, Randallstown.... give you a good view of the west side above North Ave)

http://mta.maryland.gov/local-bus

Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
What's about the circulator?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
Scenic Tourist route: Free Purple Circulator Route [Mount Vernon -- Midtown Belvedere -- Inner Harbor -- Federal Hill]

True Baltimore route: MTA 21. Why? Because you will begin at Mondawmin Mall, go through Sandtown, graze Bolton Hill, run through Mount Vernon then pass Johnston Square before ending up in Harbor East. Pockets of extreme poverty and extreme wealth at opposite ends held together by lower and upper middle class neighborhoods. I took the route for practical reasons for a couple of years, but I don't think you can get a better vantage point from one single route.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Bus drivers can be so helpful. Not certain which city, but, think it was Philly and boarded the wrong bus. The driver said we would be meeting the one I wanted and they communicated. At the time we met the other bus, both stopped in the middle of the block and I exited one and went to the other. It was so great to not end up totally lost and wondering what and where I needed to go.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM

The #8/48 has got to by my favorite, its the bus route that made me fall in love with Bmore. At one of the line you have suburbs (Lutherville and Towson) and throughout the journey on Greenmount and York road you see a lot of the city and going south the further you go, the more gritty it gets until you finally see the downtown skyline. I think its a good entrance into the city although some may be intimidated because Greenmount and York rd does have some rough spots. Another route I forgot to mention is the #13... Its goes from Canton to Walbrook Jct and travels most of North avenue, which no doubt will show you Bodymore, Murdaland. The #64 is a good route if you wanna go out South Baltimore and ride through neighborhoods like Cherry Hill, Brooklyn, Brooklyn Park in AA, and Curtis Bay. If you want some suburban scenery take the #77, #56, #59, #9, #55, #4.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,668 times
The short bus!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM

569 posts, read 1,443,266 times
Unless you have a conceal carry permit I wouldn't recommend taking any ghetto tours on public transportation:

19-Year-Old Woman Says She Fears Using Public Transportation After Attack On MTA Bus « CBS Baltimore

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Unless you have a conceal carry permit I wouldn't recommend taking any ghetto tours on public transportation:

19-Year-Old Woman Says She Fears Using Public Transportation After Attack On MTA Bus « CBS Baltimore

**** happens everywere...

LiveLeak.com - Racist Man On Greenline Train In DC Assaults Camera Lady & Calls Everyone The N Word

DC Metro Robbery and Beating RAW ( Green Line ) - YouTube

Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Been riding transit through the less desirable areas of Baltimore for years ... never a problem. Most who tell you to fear transit have either never been on transit or haven't been in years. Rare incidents that make the news are unfortunate and alarming but statistically insignificant. The rate of injury or death in auto accidents is far, far higher than being a victim of violence while riding transit in this or any U.S. city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore