Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM

58 posts, read 121,800 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Baltimore. I'll be freelancing and working from a home office most of the time, while she'll be working for a Bio-Tech start-up near what appears to be (at least according to a neighborhood map) the Mount Clare Neighborhood (Baltimore Street and South Carey).

We'd both like some suggestions on cool areas to move into. We can afford a decent rent ($1200 to $1500) for an apartment, so if that gives us more options in terms of neighborhoods, great. A safe neighborhood is most definitely required, along with something that has a friendly vibe, along with an urban feel - but not too cookie cutter or conservative - if those descriptors make any sense Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
South Peninsula (Otterbein, Federal Hill, Locust Point), Ridgely's Delight or Barre Circle is probably were you want to be. Super short commute to work and all have tons of walkability and are safe (though I can vouch for Barre Circle but it looks quite nice.) Your budget won't go very far but you should be able to find a 1 bedroom, or two bedroom that isn't completely updates. There are also several apartment buildings right near UMD that you might want to check out like Greenehouse, Abell, Zenith and more.

Her work is in between the Union Square, Franklin Square and Hollins Market area. Union Square has some very nice homes, but is still very patchy, same with Hollins Market and Baltimore Street is pretty sketchy. Hollins Market does have some cool places to eat though and a nice energy.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
South Peninsula (Otterbein, Federal Hill, Locust Point), Ridgely's Delight or Barre Circle is probably were you want to be. Super short commute to work and all have tons of walkability and are safe (though I can vouch for Barre Circle but it looks quite nice.) Your budget won't go very far but you should be able to find a 1 bedroom, or two bedroom that isn't completely updates. There are also several apartment buildings right near UMD that you might want to check out like Greenehouse, Abell, Zenith and more.

Her work is in between the Union Square, Franklin Square and Hollins Market area. Union Square has some very nice homes, but is still very patchy, same with Hollins Market and Baltimore Street is pretty sketchy. Hollins Market does have some cool places to eat though and a nice energy.

I second this. Perhaps Patterson Park?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 38,632 times
Native Baltimorean here who currently lives in Ann Arbor. If I had a nickel for every time I told someone here I am from Baltimore and they asked me about The Wire....be original people! But I digress.

You are certainly not going to feel the same level of safety in Baltimore that you do in Ann Arbor. That said, I would recommend Mount Vernon. It's not within walking distance of your wife's job, but it's not too far either. It's got more of an edgy vibe and is an eclectic area, very hipster-ish. There's a lot of good bars and restaurants and you'll meet a diverse cast of people there (UB and a prominent art college, MICA, are close by and it has Baltimore's gay nightlife district, FWIW).

You can definitely find something within your price range there, as well. For safety purposes, I would say to stay south of I-83 (the intersection of East Preston and Charles is roughly the core of Mt. Vernon. I have a hipsterish young professional friend that has lived there for years and likes it). The crime is not out of hand there though, I think it is generally safe. The worst I have heard from my friend is his car window smashed by someone looking to steal something, but this can happen to you anywhere in the city (the same thing happened to me very close to where your wife will be working, about a block away from University of MD Medical Center).

If you want cookie cutter and conservative, go to Canton or Federal Hill. Federal Hill is yuppie central, while Canton is more bro-ish. As for Locust Point, that's a nice area but it's very suburban in character.

Last edited by jmatthewo; 05-03-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: .

Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM

58 posts, read 121,800 times
Thanks for all your input so far. Curious, what is the opinion on Bolton Hill? My wife has a couple of friends who live there and say they like it. Any thoughts?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
For proximity to your wife's work, I recommend Bolton hill or ridgelys delight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: