Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,120 times

Advertisements

Different aspects have been covered in different threads, but I'm hoping I could get input on the following. I'm moving alone to BMore, will be car-free (relying on public transport). I'll be working at JHH m-f. Ive looked at places in the recommended areas (Canton, Fed Hill, Fell's Point, etc. in central Baltimore) but they are pricey. I'm thinking of taking my search to the 'burbs, but I am looking for a safe place close to public transit. I don't really want to take three different buses or anything in order to get to work.
Are there any outlying safe areas with rental properties (under1300/month for a 1 or 2 bedroom) within a short distance of public transit??
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
By living in Owings Mills, you can take the train straight to Hopkins. I think you should be able to find a decent apartment in the city under $1300, though. Have you looked at Charles Village or the Inner Harbor near Shock Trauma?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapples
Ive looked at places in the recommended areas (near your work) but they are pricey.
Even if objectively so... it's a price that needs to be paid for the first year.
It'll take that long to make some friends and explore which other areas will suit you...
for the reasons beyond practicality, convenience for work and the density of other young people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I think you should be able to find a decent apartment in the city under $1300, though.
This might be one of those situations with varying definitions for RE terms like 'nice' and pricey'

Quote:
By living in Owings Mills, you can take the train straight to Hopkins.
Then you only have to juggle getting to/from the station twice a day.
How 'pricey' is the extra hour per day plus a car?

Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,623 times
Go to mtamaryland.com and look at the transit map. I'd like to suggest Reisterstown in Baltimore County. You would ride the feeder bus three miles to the Metro and ride the train to Johns Hopkins. I think there are apartments in Reisterstown fairly close to Reisterstown road where you would catch the bus and there are amenities nearby to walk to.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapp1es View Post
Different aspects have been covered in different threads, but I'm hoping I could get input on the following. I'm moving alone to BMore, will be car-free (relying on public transport). I'll be working at JHH m-f. Ive looked at places in the recommended areas (Canton, Fed Hill, Fell's Point, etc. in central Baltimore) but they are pricey. I'm thinking of taking my search to the 'burbs, but I am looking for a safe place close to public transit. I don't really want to take three different buses or anything in order to get to work.
Are there any outlying safe areas with rental properties (under1300/month for a 1 or 2 bedroom) within a short distance of public transit??
Thanks in advance!!
With no car, look into Butchers Hill and Patterson Park or Upper Fells Point. Skip the transit and walk to work. Lots do.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Go to mtamaryland.com and look at the transit map. I'd like to suggest Reisterstown in Baltimore County. You would ride the feeder bus three miles to the Metro and ride the train to Johns Hopkins. I think there are apartments in Reisterstown fairly close to Reisterstown road where you would catch the bus and there are amenities nearby to walk to.
This is not a good idea. If you have no car, you need to be in the city, and then only in a few specific neighborhoods where it isn't onerous to go without one. Your life will suffer otherwise. Relying on some once an hour MTA bus to get you from Reisterstown to Owings Mills? Never going to be worth it. Additionally, if you are studying at JHH, it's not a 9-5 that you can just commute into. You'll want to be closeby or on one of the Hopkins shuttles.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
With no car, look into Butchers Hill and Patterson Park or Upper Fells Point. Skip the transit and walk to work. Lots do.
The best idea.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,120 times
Thank you so much for replies! Yes 'nice' and 'pricey' are totally objective.

I'll be working at JHH and almost thinking I might want to go the roommate route for he first while until I get my bearings. I had my eye on a place a few block east of JHH, but then saw there were boarded row homes on either side and more boarded up buildings on the way to the hospital. Not sure how safe it would be as a lone woman to be walking home from work potentially after dark past boarded up homes.

I will keep looking into the suggestions you all have made. Thank you, thank you!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for replies! Yes 'nice' and 'pricey' are totally objective.

I'll be working at JHH and almost thinking I might want to go the roommate route for he first while until I get my bearings. I had my eye on a place a few block east of JHH, but then saw there were boarded row homes on either side and more boarded up buildings on the way to the hospital. Not sure how safe it would be as a lone woman to be walking home from work potentially after dark past boarded up homes.

I will keep looking into the suggestions you all have made. Thank you, thank you!
A roommate is a good idea. I'm sure you can find someone in your program to room with.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I had my eye on a place a few block east of JHH, but...
Go south first (6 to 10 blocks) THEN go east.

601 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205 to Canton, Baltimore, MD - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore