Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,003,810 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in the UTNE Reader: Baltimore: The City That Reads

Title:
BALTIMORE: The City that Reads.

Basically they talk about the zine scene. One in particular is mentioned and discussed, Smile, Hon, You’re in Baltimore!

They also talk about the writing of The Wire. Baltimore people might be sick of hearing of that show, but you have to admit, that was some great writing!!

THe article continues on with dozens of reading open-mic night events, a lot of local publishing houses, and on and on.

In short, I think Baltimore isn't always recognized as literature, but it's there. I swear I've also seen it on many of the Top 10 lists that are geared towards literate cities or well-read cities and whatnot. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM

225 posts, read 426,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Learning about the Ravens? Or Orioles? Or Faidleys Crab Cakes? Or the National Aquarium-Baltimore? These are but a few examples of the 'best' of Baltimore in which I have exposed myself to. My general feelings are lackluster at best. And you know what? For all the crime that the WaPo posts about PG County (which is a huge territory, of course), I feel absolutely safe where I live. I do not feel safe in Baltimore. This is not to say that I don't hope that Baltimore sees a revival, but the fact that the entire city is enveloped in drug corruption for decades tells me that it is not being governed correctly. But I guess that can be a narrative for the state of Maryland in general, too.

So anyway, your assertion that I have no idea what there is in Baltimore is wrong. The meaning of my previous post's statement was that I just don't like going to Baltimore.

Oh, I will say one thing I find humorous about Baltimore: How everyone seems to think it is okay to jaywalk, especially during an Orioles game. I was at a game last year and even saw POLICE OFFICERS just lazily walking across the heavily congested roads surrounding the stadium.

I will admit to cringing at the amount of front-page space the local teams get when Baltimore is in the state it is in. There is more than a tinge of bread-and-circuses there. But there are great cultural offerings in the city if you bother to look. Hopkins is world-class and frequently has open lectures (hey, we have public lectures on the latest astronomy research at the Space Telescope Institute, first Tues of the month!). There are tons of theaters, big and small, so you could go to probably a show or two every night if you wished. There are free art exhibits, concerts, etc. all the time.

And we have an AMAZING local library system. I checked out "for all the world to hear" (at the downtown library) and the companion piece "for all the world to see" (at UMBC) which were about the civil rights struggles and both greatly impacted me. I left both with tears in my eyes.

So, any city will have a large population of people that just don't care. So what? You aren't going to change them. Find the people and places that do work for you. And remember that a lot of those people you're apt to look down on have a lot of heart & wisdom even if it didn't come from a book.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,360,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
So, any city will have a large population of people that just don't care. So what? You aren't going to change them. Find the people and places that do work for you. And remember that a lot of those people you're apt to look down on have a lot of heart & wisdom even if it didn't come from a book.
So very, very true.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I would say that it was easier to distinguish white and black folks from Baltimore from DC folks a few years ago when regional clothing styles and trends were more distinctive. A few years ago, people from Baltimore would wear those long @$s capri shorts with an oversized polo shirt that was buttoned all the way to the top. Braids parted down the center of the head is another Baltimore thing. Black Baltimoreans tend to dress more similar to Black Philadelphians in some respects.

DC's style is very unique to the region. Black folks in DC were heavy on local clothing brands like Solbiato which featured quirky early 90's-esque clothing featuring heavy primary color blocking and strange fashions like t-shirts with lightweight hoods attached. Today, people in DC wear jackets by brands like Helley Hansen and Spyder as well as wearing those Snoop Dogg-esque wave caps.

Today, regional styles across the country among urban blacks are disappearing as blacks in big cities across the country are all beginning to dress exactly alike wearing the latest Air Jordan retros, fitted clothing, Polo, snapbacks etc. But I have noticed that heavy tattoos, especially on the face, are more prominent in Baltimore than DC today.

White folks from DC and Baltimore are easily distinguishable. The type of working class white folks that live amongst blacks in places in South Baltimore do not exist in the DC metro area. White people in the DMV are upper middle class or just plain rich and do not associate with urban dwelling blacks or any other minorities except for the standard token upper middle class Asians, Indians and bougie thoroughly whitewashed suburban blacks that live in Montgomery County. Whites in DC are very aloof and dress very preppy like people from the Ralph Lauren catalog. Whites in Baltimore dress more urban like the black folks they live around, either that or they still dress like its the 90's (in a bad way) or don't care about how they look, period.

LOL.. true.. I also noticed among African Americans in Baltimore are heavily into the beard thing just like in Philly. Additionally, I have noticed more white hipsters in Baltimore that also rock beards and long shaggy hair almost Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Style flannel shirts and related MICA artsy gear.. That is almost unheard of in most of the rat race yuppie populace of DC....

Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,435,665 times
There are millions of people in the Baltimore metropolitan area.

There are millions of people in the Washington metropolitan area.

Be careful before making blanket statements about how people dress in one metro versus another.

Some of you are forgetting that Baltimore has a large professional class (including people of all races). DC is also home to many poor people.

DC may be the seat of the Federal Government and is unquestionably a white collar town. While Baltimore had a large blue collar population due to its industries, those industries are largely gone and Baltimore still home to major educational facilities (Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland) as well as a number of regional banking houses (T Rowe Price, Legg Mason come to mind). As such it's misleading to solely compare poor people in Baltimore to affluent people in Washington and completely ignore that Baltimore has many affluent residents while DC also has poor people.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,347,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I would say that it was easier to distinguish white and black folks from Baltimore from DC folks a few years ago when regional clothing styles and trends were more distinctive. A few years ago, people from Baltimore would wear those long @$s capri shorts with an oversized polo shirt that was buttoned all the way to the top. Braids parted down the center of the head is another Baltimore thing. Black Baltimoreans tend to dress more similar to Black Philadelphians in some respects.

DC's style is very unique to the region. Black folks in DC were heavy on local clothing brands like Solbiato which featured quirky early 90's-esque clothing featuring heavy primary color blocking and strange fashions like t-shirts with lightweight hoods attached. Today, people in DC wear jackets by brands like Helley Hansen and Spyder as well as wearing those Snoop Dogg-esque wave caps.

Today, regional styles across the country among urban blacks are disappearing as blacks in big cities across the country are all beginning to dress exactly alike wearing the latest Air Jordan retros, fitted clothing, Polo, snapbacks etc. But I have noticed that heavy tattoos, especially on the face, are more prominent in Baltimore than DC today.

White folks from DC and Baltimore are easily distinguishable. The type of working class white folks that live amongst blacks in places in South Baltimore do not exist in the DC metro area. White people in the DMV are upper middle class or just plain rich and do not associate with urban dwelling blacks or any other minorities except for the standard token upper middle class Asians, Indians and bougie thoroughly whitewashed suburban blacks that live in Montgomery County. Whites in DC are very aloof and dress very preppy like people from the Ralph Lauren catalog. Whites in Baltimore dress more urban like the black folks they live around, either that or they still dress like its the 90's (in a bad way) or don't care about how they look, period.
Good description. You can find some working class Whites in the DC area though in places like Waldorf and Rt 1 in Virginia but in DC and close in suburbs forget it.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM

10,084 posts, read 9,863,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Be careful before making blanket statements about how people dress in one metro versus another.

Some of you are forgetting that Baltimore has a large professional class (including people of all races). DC is also home to many poor people.

DC may be the seat of the Federal Government and is unquestionably a white collar town. While Baltimore had a large blue collar population due to its industries, those industries are largely gone and Baltimore still home to major educational facilities (Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland) as well as a number of regional banking houses (T Rowe Price, Legg Mason come to mind). As such it's misleading to solely compare poor people in Baltimore to affluent people in Washington and completely ignore that Baltimore has many affluent residents while DC also has poor people.
Reps for you!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM

20 posts, read 41,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Couldn't have said it any better!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times
Default Funny!!

What are you talking about??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPilot View Post
How many times are you going to start different threads irrationally bashing Baltimore and its residents? It sounds like you're part of the problem here. Sure, the city has problems. I'm not denying that. But every time I read one of your posts infiniteheights77, I feel like I'm reading the words of an immature high schooler who has nothing better to do than be a troll and act as if everything about Baltimore is completely awful.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times
Miss Crabcakes,

Please don't belittle my intelligence! If you're a native Baltimorean, this town is infected by this ignorance. It's all over! East, West, South, North and all in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Again, what part of town do you live in? I only ask because my experience, neighbors, friends and peers are the exact opposite of what your threads describes. Not saying I doubt what your posting. Just curious where these backwards bumpkins are.

Course I currently live in B-more County but still have many friends within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: