Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 AM

206 posts, read 795,289 times

Advertisements

"The Block" isn't special any longer. Every City has it's red light district. I can remember being Portland Oregon at a club and those girls were twirling fire. At the Acropolis you could get a $5 steak diner and nice looking girls. San Francisco has North Beach, Key West has Duvall Street, New Orleans has Bourbon Street, etc., etc. None of these areas look like a war zone like Baltimore's Block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,200,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
"The Block" isn't special any longer. Every City has it's red light district. I can remember being Portland Oregon at a club and those girls were twirling fire. At the Acropolis you could get a $5 steak diner and nice looking girls. San Francisco has North Beach, Key West has Duvall Street, New Orleans has Bourbon Street, etc., etc. None of these areas look like a war zone like Baltimore's Block.
Huh? Those areas you named are not red light districts at all.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,553,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Huh? Those areas you named are not red light districts at all.

I agree. Duval Street in Key West is full of stripper bars????? Either this guy has got a very vivid imagination or is wishful....

Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM

8,152 posts, read 13,217,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
Still not sure what biz owner on bmore ave has on what govt official, but that place needs to be razed. Could turn it into Bourbon street type area of bars.

Lots of drugs, prostitution, dieseases on that street. AND THAT IS WITH A POICE PRESENCE.

I bet... probably someone on the Liquor Board who is appointed by City Council/Mayor.. A Liquor License is like gold.. If they lost that.. that would be the end of them. The owners probably pay the Liquor Inspectors, and City Council off... in one dollar bills of course....... There was an article in City Paper not to long ago about how screwed up the Liquor Board is in terms of inspections and lack there of....though I imagine there could be some code violations or number of calls for service from the BPD to certain establishments along there that could justify closure for some as well

Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 77,669 times
I also concur. We may as well keep the degenerate strip clubs and such all in one place. If we have to, just put barricades around it and call it a free zone like "Hamsterdam" for you Wire fans.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM

8,152 posts, read 13,217,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespurdy2 View Post
I also concur. We may as well keep the degenerate strip clubs and such all in one place. If we have to, just put barricades around it and call it a free zone like "Hamsterdam" for you Wire fans.

Yeah.. it wouldnt surprise me if all of them are 'grandfathered' in at that location.. If one closed and tried to reopen it would have to do so immediately or face the "new" rules.. Thats why they probably just change ownership but NEVER close. The City is redoing it zoning ordinance which will likely make it more difficult to open a strip club except in some industrial district.. because most neighborhoods would not want one anywhere near them.. Could you imagine "the Block" in Waverly or on Harford Road?????? It would be a disaster for the surrounding property owners. That being said.. by zeroing this type of places out in most parts of the City...that will only make "the Block" perservere and increase in value since you cant do that type of operation anywhere else.. They will continue to rake in the dough.. contribute to local and state political campaigns of key politicos to look the other way.. and unless someone comes in with some really deep pockets the property owner(s) who, I bet have a minority stake in each of the establishments that lease in their buildings, will continue what is probably a cash mortgage free cow.....

Old 06-03-2013, 03:57 PM

45,018 posts, read 60,017,539 times
The Block has been declining since Marty Bass was arrested for wanting to "get into a hooker's head", or something like that.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,553,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Block has been declining since Marty Bass was arrested for wanting to "get into a hooker's head", or something like that.

Actually, I think he was arrested in or near Patterson Park trying to pick up hookers.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM

45,018 posts, read 60,017,539 times
I thought it was on The Block. Hookers? I really believe he was practicing psychoanalysis.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,027,808 times
I think the Block started going downhill when they built the new Police Headquarters next to it. When I worked downtown I would occasionally walk down to Pollock Johnny's for lunch. That was the only reason I ever visited the Block but we would occasionally drive down it going to or from Dundalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore