Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 16,547 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the federal hill area of Baltimore for my first job out of college and I need to get a different (not exactly 'new') car asap.

Currently I have a mitsubishi Eclipse project car with no AC and so much glass it's like a greenhouse. This was okay for up here in Central/northern NY state where there are maybe a handful of 90 degree days tops, but I don't think I would last long in the hotter Baltimore weather.

My question is about taxes/registration/general pricing of cars down there. What do you think would be best, trading my car in up here for something and moving it down, or getting a car a few days after I relocate to Baltimore?

I'll be looking on the cheaper end, for something to last me maybe a year tops before I can save up for a decent car (ie hopefully 5k or under)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,601,309 times
Taxes must be paid when acquiring MD plates. Not sure on the cost but I have heard it's quite expensive. You may want to sell there and buy here but others may be more informative.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times
Go buy a car on the outskirts of Philly. Automobiles are quite cheaper in that area.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Taxes must be paid when acquiring MD plates. Not sure on the cost but I have heard it's quite expensive. You may want to sell there and buy here but others may be more informative.
You'll have to pay sales tax on your car in MD no matter where it's purchased. It will also have to pass MD safety inspection, which is truly thorough and not easy. A lot of used cars are sold already inspected ... I'd recommend finding something in MD that's been inspected, or bargaining with the MD seller to have it inspected.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

280 posts, read 675,204 times
I think you will have to pay the inspection fee in NY in order to drive it here, and then pay the MD inspection fee once you register it here.

If it's any help, I drove a NY-purchased car here (had it 10+ years in NY and other states) and moved here 11 years. ago. I knew it wouldn't pass MD inspection and needed a new car anyway so I just traded it in at Carmax here. Used cars at reputable dealers are inspected first.

Also when you get your MD driver's license - if you use a middle initial, they want to see your full middle name. My previous driver's license and my US passport only use the middle initial. Not acceptable! I had to get a copy of my birth certificate in order to satisfy the middle name requirement

One other thing - your car only needs to inspected once, not every year like in NY. There is emission inspection every two years though (it's mostly a joke, never had a failure).

Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM

757 posts, read 2,555,029 times
MD charges a 6% excise tax on recently purchased cars when you register it here, so I would wait until you move here to buy even if you can find a good price elsewhere. Otherwise you will probably have to pay the MD tax in addition to whatever taxes you have to pay to NY.

New to Maryland Titling and Registering Your Vehicle Information

Old 05-25-2013, 02:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Save your money and keep the Eclipse. Especially since you will be buying a used car under $5K that you only plan to keep for one year. I would just see if you can get the AC working on the car you have now. It will definitely be cheaper than buying another beater.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Maryland has one of the best used car safety inspection programs in the country. LINK
Designed to protect consumers it requires all used cars to pass the inspection before they can be tagged.

Don't buy **anything** that doesn't come with a MD inspection sticker.
Be wary of bringing any currently owned car (eg: a POS project beater) that may not pass inspection

Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 AM

103 posts, read 326,528 times
I'm worried about bringing our 10-yr-old Hyundai when we move. I know there's an issue with brake noise, and who knows what else. We've been basically just hoping it lasts long enough to get my new mortgage and move, and then we plan to trade it and lease something new. I don't know if it will pass inspection. I know this isn't exactly on the up-and-up, but how long do you think it would take the city to realize we've moved there and fine us for not registering in MD? When we moved to VA-- over 20 years ago-- we kept our NY tags for the 3 mo or so it took for Alex City to tell us to register or else. We'd like to be able to settle in a bit before car shopping, say, a month or two. Do you think we could keep our VA tags for a month, or would we be found out and forced to go through the inspection before we were ready to get rid of the car?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
In Maryland it isn't the city or the county that cares (We don't have the Personal Property Tax they do in Virginia) . It somewhat depends on where you move to. Anywhere in the Washington commuting area Virginia tags are so common that you may not draw attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore