Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM

92 posts, read 173,427 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, how do overall crime stats/rates/trends in Baltimore's "nicest" neighborhoods (Roland Park, Canton, Fed Hill, Locust Point etc) compare to the crime rates in other nicer neighborhoods in other major cities?

And some might respond by saying crime is automatically going to be worse in these Baltimore neighborhoods vs. other cities because it's Baltimore, but I'm looking for educated answers from people who might know other cities' "nice" neighborhoods well and things of that nature. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Without data at hand and without specifics, this question is almost impossible to answer. I lived in Boston, Detroit, and Milwaukee and I could say that the nicest areas in all four cities would be comparable in that I would feel relatively safe in any of them. I'm not quite even sure you listed the nicest neighborhoods in Baltimore in your question; certainly Guilford and Homeland are missing along with Bolton Hill.
I guess I would feel the least safe in the wealthier neighborhoods of Detroit and the most safe in the wealthier neighborhoods of Milwaukee but that is just my opinion with no statistics to back that up.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
For starters, highly sought after areas in DC like Capital Hill, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park and Georgetown have had some pretty ugly violent incidents in the last year and a half. When something really bad happens in a perceived "very nice" neighborhood in Baltimore it stays in the news for a long time.

There aren't too many place anywhere that are free of crime.. at least not in this state. I've lived in Annapolis, Arnold, and Towson and been on the bad end of robberies in all of them. In 10 years in SoBo I haven't once and have felt comfortable the whole time. One good thing about Baltimore neighborhoods like Canton, the South Peninsula and Roland Park are not only nice but are also surrounded by solid neighborhoods or natural boundaries. So not too many incidents carry over from the adjacent neighborhood. But certainly has been a problem in places like Guilford, Mt. Vernon and Bolton Hill when they are close to some rough areas.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Homeland, Cheswolde, Roland Park are comparable to Upper NW DC nabes like Tenlytown, Spring Valley, Friendship Heights, etc..

Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM

225 posts, read 429,009 times
You can get a rough idea by checking crimemapper.com (I think that's the site). But from my experience, they're roughly equal. On the upside, Baltimore's nice neighborhoods are still relatively affordable despite the fact that they are very safe. (Compare $100 - $200/sq foot in Roland Park to $500 - $1000/sq foot in Georgetown).

Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
The Inner harbor is a nice area is it not??? At least its considered a nice area? And remember the shootout at light Street Pavilion, the gunfight during July 4th, the guy being stabbed in the Super Bowl celebration, and the youth mobs that descend on the area regularly????/

Even if you look at other cities with a crime-ridden reputation, you don't see these youth mobs rampaging and descending upon the French Quarter, Michigan Avenue, or Biscayne Boulevard.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
For starters, highly sought after areas in DC like Capital Hill, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park and Georgetown have had some pretty ugly violent incidents in the last year and a half. When something really bad happens in a perceived "very nice" neighborhood in Baltimore it stays in the news for a long time.
Just curious, what have been some of the ugly violent incidents that have occured in Capital Hill, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park and Georgetown in the last year and half? I guess I'd be most curious about Capital Hill in particular. But a bit curious on all of them.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Capitol Hill Murder Of Jason Emma Creates Sadness, Shock, And New Fears For Neighbors | wusa9.com

Six teens indicted on murder charges in stabbing at Woodley Park Metro station - Washington Post

Georgetown Halloween shooting victim dies | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights has several, just google it.

Other than Coumbia Heights, they are all great neighborhoods, but when you are only a few miles from sketchy areas, stuff unfortunately happens sometimes.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Capitol Hill Murder Of Jason Emma Creates Sadness, Shock, And New Fears For Neighbors | wusa9.com

Six teens indicted on murder charges in stabbing at Woodley Park Metro station - Washington Post

Georgetown Halloween shooting victim dies | WJLA.com

Columbia Heights has several, just google it.

Other than Coumbia Heights, they are all great neighborhoods, but when you are only a few miles from sketchy areas, stuff unfortunately happens sometimes.
Yeah, 12th and C seems to be pretty close to sketch to me. It does seem like it's changing for the better into the future, but that's still only relatively recently. Interesting nontheless. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Inner harbor is a nice area is it not??? At least its considered a nice area? And remember the shootout at light Street Pavilion, the gunfight during July 4th, the guy being stabbed in the Super Bowl celebration, and the youth mobs that descend on the area regularly????/

Even if you look at other cities with a crime-ridden reputation, you don't see these youth mobs rampaging and descending upon the French Quarter, Michigan Avenue, or Biscayne Boulevard.
I'm pretty familiar with Chicago and New Orleans. They both have issues with crime and the French Quarter and Michigan Avenue are not exceptions. Do your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore