Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:05 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Sometimes you have to get rowdy and cause a ruckus so people can notice you! Baltimore hasn't learned that yet.

I seem to remember a certain ruckus in Baltimore in the spring of 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
which made zero sense considering that they were playing tampa bay in the series that year.
Lmao!!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM

226 posts, read 413,741 times
Easy. Philly has a much higher percentage (well above 60% concentration) of the absolute worst people on the face of the earth. In fact, if someone is from Philly, its just a logical assumption that they ARE one of said worst people on the face of the earth.

(Just so there's no confusion, I'm talking about being Eagles fans... and I'm joking. mostly...)

Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Baltimoreans are friendly to the point of what would be considered nosiness in most places. Open, I'd call it, and they/we just assume most other people are too.
That's what I noticed when I visited for a few days. Almost stereotypically Midwestern friendly (and not what I was expecting in the East). I can't count the people downtown that would nod and say "how's it goin'?" when I'd pass them. I was taking pics in Federal Hill and both an elderly lady and a postman started talking to me and gave me tips on other interesting historic neighborhoods to visit. I was really impressed how nice everyone was.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
The way I differentiate people in Baltimore and Philadelphia is this: if the football fans are *******s, then I'm in Baltimore. If the hockey fans are *******s, then I'm in Philadelphia.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
Some people say that Baltimore is like Philadelphia. I see some similarities. But I think if Baltimore fancies itself as being like Philadelphia, then it comes off as a wannabe in comparison, and I say this as a Marylander. There are different characteristics in the people.

Philadelphia is larger, has much more of a reputation, and has more of a "grimy" and "gritty" feel. It makes Baltimore seem amateurish in its claims of being similar, but that perception of Philadelphia reflects itself in the personality of the people. They have a reputation for being brash and really passionate, stereotype or not. On top of that, Philadelphia has that genuine Northeastern-style East Coast feel that's like an outgrowth of the NYC/NJ area, which is something that Baltimore lacks.

On the other hand, some people say Baltimore is "Smalltimore", and it certainly feels that way sometimes. A big city (though not as big as Philadelphia) with a "local", mid-size city mindset -- where you can meet tourists and someone you know walking around a street or at a tourist area and chat both groups up. That's not to say that this can't occur in Philly, but it's more commonplace in Baltimore, and it reflects in the personality of the people. Baltimore and its people are "weird" -- the people are like a weird mix of stereotypical Northern bluntness and stereotypical Southern politeness. It's reflected in the culture and even in the accent, to some degree.

I'm generalizing of course, as everyone in both cities aren't like my perceptions. But that's my experience having been to both cities. Perhaps Wilmington, DE would be a better city that's more like Baltimore.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
The dialect, accent, mentality, and attitude towards sports teams/fans lol.

Last edited by tcave360; 12-18-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
[quote=jrh0341;29902879]Easy. Philly has a much higher percentage (well above 60% concentration) of the absolute worst people on the face of the earth. In fact, if someone is from Philly, its just a logical assumption that they ARE one of said worst people on the face of the earth.

(Just so there's no confusion, I'm talking about being Eagles fans... and I'm joking. mostly...)[/quote]

This. Rep points.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
"There's definitely a bravado to Philly, NYC and Boston that you don't find in Baltimore.."

*There is bravado here, it's always been here, you've just not around the right people! Later for all that weak, slave ish most negroes and whites be on in Baltimore.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:17 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE MAKKING ANY SENSE IN THIS POST!!!

Baltimore is like, if you took North Carolina, East New York, Camden, NJ, parts of Pennsylvania and some tax like NJ's, put them all in dirty bag. That's Baltimore for you!

quote=KeyserSoze;32655664]Some people say that Baltimore is like Philadelphia. I see some similarities. But I think if Baltimore fancies itself as being like Philadelphia, then it comes off as a wannabe in comparison, and I say this as a Marylander. There are different characteristics in the people.

Philadelphia is larger, has much more of a reputation, and has more of a "grimy" and "gritty" feel. It makes Baltimore seem amateurish in its claims of being similar, but that perception of Philadelphia reflects itself in the personality of the people. They have a reputation for being brash and really passionate, stereotype or not. On top of that, Philadelphia has that genuine Northeastern-style East Coast feel that's like an outgrowth of the NYC/NJ area, which is something that Baltimore lacks.

On the other hand, some people say Baltimore is "Smalltimore", and it certainly feels that way sometimes. A big city (though not as big as Philadelphia) with a "local", mid-size city mindset -- where you can meet tourists and someone you know walking around a street or at a tourist area and chat both groups up. That's not to say that this can't occur in Philly, but it's more commonplace in Baltimore, and it reflects in the personality of the people. Baltimore and its people are "weird" -- the people are like a weird mix of stereotypical Northern bluntness and stereotypical Southern politeness. It's reflected in the culture and even in the accent, to some degree.

I'm generalizing of course, as everyone in both cities aren't like my perceptions. But that's my experience having been to both cities. Perhaps Wilmington, DE would be a better city that's more like Baltimore.[/quote]

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 12-20-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore