Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,370,997 times

Advertisements

I find it hard to believe any of these numbers imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
I find this hard to believe. 22% of businesses in Philly are owned by blacks and 28% in D.C. compared to 34% in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 AM

416 posts, read 578,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
The stats are here:

D.C.: District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Philly: Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Baltimore: Baltimore (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

These stats are for cities, not counties or metropolitan areas.

Here is an article that explains the growth of black firms in Baltimore between 2000 and 2007: Black-owned businesses: Number of firms up 61 percent in Baltimore area, Census Bureau says - Baltimore Sun

You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. These stats definitively refute your initial claim that blacks own just 2% of the businesses in Baltimore city. In terms of black business ownership, the only major cities that compete with Baltimore are Atlanta and Detroit. If you have evidence that shows something different, please provide it. Until then you're just stating an opinion.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM

8,149 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Baltimore has a higher percentage black population than Philly and DC.. I dont know what those population #s are in comparison to one another.. but if it has a larger percentage of the population.. then having more % of black businesses over DC and Philly seems to make sense...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 AM

226 posts, read 411,531 times
The "buy black" nonsense issue has nothing to do with race. At least it shouldn't. I call it nonsense in the sense that I believe in free market economy. You want my business? Earn it, through a better product, or price, or location or even (especially) a better customer service experience. Don't expect to win my business just because we have the same skin tone.

That said, the idea of "shopping in your local community" is not a "black businesses" problem. Its actually the bigger "buy local", support small business owners VS power of national chain stores issue.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 AM

226 posts, read 411,531 times
As as others mentioned, comparing black Americans to other immigrant nationalities in terms of community business support is a flawed concept.

There is a natural reason immigrant owned businesses thrive in immigrant areas. Its because of the cultural barriers that differ from the simple black/white race barrier.

The obvious trend is, immigrants from other countries show up here and naturally gravitate towards ares where there are other concentrations of people from their similar culture. Then, being new to this country, they find store which stock the products they are used to, and speak the language they are used to.

Its no different than the way an American, living abroad will usually find themselves frequenting businesses owned by English speaking American/British ExPats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore