Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand where all this negativity about DC comes from? DC is a great town, and Baltimore could emulate and model some of its good attributes. So why the hate??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
I know hundreds of Baltimorians and never heard anyone say they hate DC. That is a figment of your imagination.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
It's mutual. You really see it in the prisons and juvenile facilities. DC Metro and Baltimore area (mostly City) inmates/clients have to be isolated from each other or all Hell breaks loose.

It might be InfiniteHeights choice of companions.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I know hundreds of Baltimorians and never heard anyone say they hate DC. That is a figment of your imagination.
It's more of a rivalry between Black residents of both cities but it's not as severe as the OP makes out. It's more pronounced in the criminal settings though. Most folks could care less.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
I don't think many people hate the actual town of DC. Just some (not all) of the entitled/snobby people that live there.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Love d.c., one of the best things about living in Baltimore area. I can get to d.c. in 50 minutes but don't have to pay to live there. don't know anyone in Baltimore who hates d.c.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM

92 posts, read 173,413 times
I don't hate DC either, I've lived in Maryland my whole life and have always been grateful that I grew up in such a great area where both Baltimore and DC are easily accessible. I'll always be a Baltimore guy, but have a special place in my heart for DC as well.

The only negatives I think of when I think of DC are the relatively rare times when I come across some ignorant DC resident (in person or online) who thinks Baltimore is such a horrible, worthless place but they barely know the city and are just making up their mind based on stereotypes. And I can't stand it when I encounter Nationals "fans" who were once O's fans that just gave up on them...I'm a big enough sports fan that I would never give up on the Ravens or Orioles no matter what, so that just grinds my gears.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,822 times
There is a good healthy rivalry there, which should be expected. I'm sure Oakland/SF is the same, as well people in Jersey fighting over weather Philly or NY is better and Connecticut over NY and Boston. Shoot, even the Arnold and Severna Park area have a rivalry.

Let's face it DC and Baltimore's violence problems are people fighting against people from their own city and nothing to do with the city 45 minutes down the road.

I know in the world I live in, most people I am associated with at their core are either 'DC People' or 'Baltimore People.' Two very difference cities, with two very different mindsets and very different price tags. With that said, they don't hate each other and rarely hate the other city outside of a Ravens/Skins game or constantly getting lost navigating the other city.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I'm trying to understand where all this negativity about DC comes from? DC is a great town, and Baltimore could emulate and model some of its good attributes. So why the hate??!!
Two things from the past:

For obvious reasons, The Griffith family who owned the Wash. Senators franchise fought to keep Baltimore from having a major league team. Most of those B'more sportsfans are dead now, though.

Driving in the city of Washington drove Baltimore people bananas, especially because Wash. was heralded as having an outstanding traffic plan regarding how the streets were laid out. B'moreans complained that they went round-and-round in circles. For that reason, I never drove inside DC. Not sure about current attitudes in this regard.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM

27 posts, read 45,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Where are you coming up with this nonsense from? You stuck in the past or something? None of what you are saying is relevant. There is no hate, quit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's more of a rivalry between Black residents of both cities but it's not as severe as the OP makes out. It's more pronounced in the criminal settings though. Most folks could care less.
No it's no rivalry between Black residents from these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore