Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,025,259 times

Advertisements

So far 4 more tonight.
People are singing on the corner as if that will accomplish something.
Seems like Baltimores summer is off to a furious start.

The murder rate was already up according to the media .
The mayor and the blind are happy believing people are leaving because of taxes... really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,985 times
Hey Hey Hey! Stop it, now.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
Well, I left because of the taxes. The crime wouldn't keep me out of Charm City. Most violent crime occurs in areas I wouldn't even drive through. The taxes, the absurdly bad public transportation, lack of parking, those are the primary reasons I left the City. I still enjoy the great restaurants, bars, concerts in the parks, etc. But then I go home to the county. No regrets. The crime sucks. I feel bad for folks who have few options but to stay in those neighborhoods but, until there are opportunities for the poor to get job training and real jobs, the crime is not going away. If you have nothing to live for and no hope for the future, wake up frustrated and with nothing to look forward to, there is little incentive for obeying the law.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,874 times
Poor babies -- no opportunity, so they have to shoot each other.

I remember when the City police had to travel in pairs with a dog when they patrolled the area around Union Memorial Hospital, in the days when anybody with a pulse could get a job.

Great town. That's one reason why I left.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,429,272 times
First damn week of summer!!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 AM

226 posts, read 414,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Poor babies -- no opportunity, so they have to shoot each other.

I remember when the City police had to travel in pairs with a dog when they patrolled the area around Union Memorial Hospital, in the days when anybody with a pulse could get a job.

Great town. That's one reason why I left.
Yup.

I get the whole "poverty and disenfranchisement" angle, but that can't be cited as the whole problem. Its a home issue.

My neighborhood is a perfect example. Most of the folks are good people, but man this one house just moved in and the people are the perfect example of the stuff that keeps Baltimore's problems alive.

Almost any time of day, late into the night there's like 4-12 kids aged 5-15, hanging out, sitting on people's steps, playing in the street, whatever. Now, this in itself would be ok, but the kids are so lacking in correction, training or supervision, its shameful.

Sitting on other people's porches, or on their cars etc, addressing each other with MF*** this and Hey N**guh that.

That parents most of the time are not watching them, or the few times I have seen someone out watching, they offer no correction whatsoever. They might as well not be out there. Its like they condone it.

I'm talking YOUNG kids.

When a 7 year old is outside playing near or on a busy main city street with no one watching

and

when an 8 year old addresses a 6 year old by shouting "hey n****" across the parking lot, IN FRONT OF the parents, who don't seem to think anything is wrong with it

and

when you inform the parents that their kids are being wild and messing with people's stuff and those parents have the nerve to argue with you about it or or back their kids lie

that's not society's fault. That's not "poverty and lack of opportunity". The government is not the one failing these kids. That's **** poor parents who are either too lazy to do anything with their kids, or so ghetto that they think their kids behaving like hoodlums is cool. I actually do feel bad for the kids in a way. They are lacking opportunity, as in the opportunity to be raised properly by responsible parents.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM

866 posts, read 2,629,670 times
But "overall, crime is down". So it's OK!!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
Its a home issue.
Its a lack of home issue.

Quote:
...that's not society's fault. That's not "poverty and lack of opportunity".
The government is not the one failing these kids.
Actually it is.

It being "good intentions" for the sake of them even in the face of contrary evidence.
It being an education system that actually embraces supplanting social worker roles.
It being the supports for a rising fertility rate among the poor.
It being the preference for perpetuating (and funding) delusion.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,672 times
The issue seems to be mostly about lack of efficient policing that would deliver results, and the Baltimore residents' complacency with it

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
The issue seems to be mostly about lack of efficient policing that would deliver results...
Are you referring to the drug trade at the root of this thug on thug violence?
If so... then sorry. Policing is just not going to fix this.
At most it contains it... until one of these "shocking" incidents flares up.

Quote:
...and the Baltimore residents' complacency with it
Meh. More like resignation to realities above their pay grade.
And recognition that the problem will rarely cross their lives directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore