Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Greetings to Charm City from the City Of Brotherly Love!

I just got back from Baltimore after showing a friend around your fine city who had never been there before. He was impressed ... and charmed by Charm City.

Driving down to Baltimore from Philly is easy, takes me about 2 and a quarter hours ... 95 miles from my house to Mount Vernon Place. I figured out a way to go and return without paying even a penny in tolls.

Some of the things we did were visit the American Visionary Art Museum which was a lot of fun (my friend is an artist), also visited the Walters Gallery. I've been to the Baltimore Museum of Art on other trips but we skipped it this time.

Drove around some of the older historic neighborhoods like Fells Point, Little Italy, Federal Hill, etc. Walked around Mount Vernon. Pointed out the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, etc.

Lunch at Attman's Deli on Lombard St. What a great place! Oy, I'm kvelling! Dinner at an upscale place on Charles Street. Expertly mixed cocktails on Read Street.

The city has some great architecture. The people seem friendly (so unlike Philly!) There is a general weirdness about Baltimore that I cannot put my finger on ... but I am convinced that John Waters and Divine could not have come from any other place but Baltimore.

I think Baltimore is unique. It has it's own special vibe. In some ways it is very similar to Philly ... a city of neighborhoods and rowhouses. I would like to think Baltimore and Philly are almost sister cities, except that Baltimore is more Southern than Philly and therefore the people are friendlier (as I mentioned before) and more polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
"I think Baltimore is unique. It has it's own special vibe. In some ways it is very similar to Philly ... a city of neighborhoods and rowhouses. I would like to think Baltimore and Philly are almost sister cities, except that Baltimore is more Southern than Philly and therefore the people are friendlier (as I mentioned before) and more polite."

*As a Baltimorean with Philadelphia roots, I say Philadelphia is a better city and holds its own. That whole Southern thing intrigues me, because most people affiliate the term with ignorance, backwardness, slowness, provincial and etc. If they are both sister cities, Baltimore is that slowass, mentally challenged sister that you feel sorry for, but don't want anything bad to happen to them because she already does harm to herself.

What special vibe are you talking about??

Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
People talk about Baltimore being so friendly.. Where do they get this stuff from?? Baltimore is not a friendly town in my humble opinion.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Baltimore can be seen either way. In terms of customer service, being in a crowded place, or having pedestrians step out in front of your vehicle outside of a crosswalk, Baltimore can seem harsh, chaotic, and unfriendly.

But if you're in a bar or other place of business, it's very likely that a fellow patron will strike up a conversation with you. In that way, the city can seem very friendly.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
People talk about Baltimore being so friendly.. Where do they get this stuff from?? Baltimore is not a friendly town in my humble opinion.
Compared to D.C. it is. Ditto for NYC and Philly and Boston. Outta all the BosWash cities, Baltimore is the friendliest.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

*As a Baltimorean with Philadelphia roots, I say Philadelphia is a better city and holds its own. That whole Southern thing intrigues me, because most people affiliate the term with ignorance, backwardness, slowness, provincial and etc. If they are both sister cities, Baltimore is that slowass, mentally challenged sister that you feel sorry for, but don't want anything bad to happen to them because she already does harm to herself.

What special vibe are you talking about??
One thing that is apparent is that Philly is a much bigger city than Baltimore. It has taller buildings, more hustle and bustle, more crowded streets in it's center. More shops and restaurants and theaters. It spreads out even further than Baltimore. Sorta like comparing Cleveland to Chicago.

It's hard for me to describe Baltimore's special vibe. It seems to be odd of mix city/country, north/south, rich/poor, liberal/bigot, etc. My impression is that Baltimoreans are less inhibited than folks in other large cities - they dress and act as they please, you see a lot of eccentric folks there. Its as if a lot of folks from the country invaded the city and decided to act like city slickers - or their version of city slickers ... but this is not a put-down: there really is something charming about it. People wearing off beat clothes and out of date hair styles. As I said before, I think only Baltimore could have produced a John Waters and a Divine and their crew.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One thing that is apparent is that Philly is a much bigger city than Baltimore. It has taller buildings, more hustle and bustle, more crowded streets in it's center. More shops and restaurants and theaters. It spreads out even further than Baltimore. Sorta like comparing Cleveland to Chicago.

It's hard for me to describe Baltimore's special vibe. It seems to be odd of mix city/country, north/south, rich/poor, liberal/bigot, etc. My impression is that Baltimoreans are less inhibited than folks in other large cities - they dress and act as they please, you see a lot of eccentric folks there. Its as if a lot of folks from the country invaded the city and decided to act like city slickers - or their version of city slickers ... but this is not a put-down: there really is something charming about it. People wearing off beat clothes and out of date hair styles. As I said before, I think only Baltimore could have produced a John Waters and a Divine and their crew.
You just described Baltimore in a nutshell. Rep +2

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
So, someone from Philly praises the city, and Baltimoreans bash that person's positive opinion of their OWN city? Is that what we do now?

Last edited by KodeBlue; 07-10-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM

377 posts, read 529,314 times
I'd be suspicious too, if a guy from Philly comes to DC and raves about DC, I'd be quite leery about it myself, people from Philly just don't come to DC and give good reviews, it's not in their nature, maybe other cities, but not DC

Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So, someone from Philly praises the city, and Baltimoreans bash that person's positive opinion of their OWN city? Is that what we do now?

I know, right! I swear it's a town of Eyeores. Some of y'all constantly complain about everything. This city needs a therapist. LOL!

I've always found it pretty friendly around here too. People even chat me up in the checkout line at the supermarket. Definitely has its unapologetic quirk factor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: