Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM

122 posts, read 293,859 times

Advertisements

What are the best places in Maryland to live and raise a family?
Please if you could give me some reason why?
Looking for some affordability doesn't have to be cheap.
Good schools.
Good healthcare.
Some things to do.
SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,460,303 times
If I could live anywhere in MD right now within reason for the family, I would go to Cape St Clair - super safe, affordable, on the bay (love the bay) and Broadneck HS is one of the best public HS in all of MD, ranks very high nationally (was Blue Ribbon not long ago). Anne Arundel Medical Center is just up 50 a couple exits; plenty to do around Annaoplis.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,451,883 times
You've asked this question a few times. It's getting tiresome as you sound paranoid.

Just go to Howard County. Google Columbia. It'll have everything you need and want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
What are the best places in Maryland to live and raise a family?
Please if you could give me some reason why?
Looking for some affordability doesn't have to be cheap.
Good schools.
Good healthcare.
Some things to do.
SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM

775 posts, read 1,787,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
If I could live anywhere in MD right now within reason for the family, I would go to Cape St Clair - super safe, affordable, on the bay (love the bay) and Broadneck HS is one of the best public HS in all of MD, ranks very high nationally (was Blue Ribbon not long ago). Anne Arundel Medical Center is just up 50 a couple exits; plenty to do around Annaoplis.
I second this. The Annapolis area is the best. There are areas more remote and maybe even safer, but the Severna Park, Arnold, St. Margarets and Cape has it all. Severna Park HS and Broadneck HS are two of the best in the state. The elementary and middle schools that feed into these two HS are excellent as well. School athletics and community athletics are plentiful and well run (SPY Swimming is amazing for kids.) You have downtown Annapolis, the Bay, the B&A Trail, The Naval Academy, Quiet Waters Park with ice skating in the winter months and the Magothy River, which is a beautiful sandy bottom river for boating, fishing or swimming.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,996,756 times
Safe is relative. Children will be exposed to negative things in the suburbs as well as in Baltimore. I went to an affluent school in the suburbs of Boston and knew of rich kids that were addicted to hardcore drugs, victims of rape, abuse and neglect. Several attempted suicide. Having money and living in a posh neighborhood doesn't guarantee anything. This isn't the 1950's.

If I chose to be a parent, I would raise my child right here in Baltimore. In my opinion, city kids are more prepared for the real world.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Safe is relative. Children will be exposed to negative things in the suburbs as well as in Baltimore. I went to an affluent school in the suburbs of Boston and knew of rich kids that were addicted to hardcore drugs, victims of rape, abuse and neglect. Several attempted suicide. Having money and living in a posh neighborhood doesn't guarantee anything. This isn't the 1950's.

If I chose to be a parent, I would raise my child right here in Baltimore. In my opinion, city kids are more prepared for the real world.
Spoken by someone with no kids.
Get some credibility. Have a couple of kidlets and raise them right here in the city through high school. I dare you.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,460,303 times
I'm raising two kids in a safe city neighborhood. The problem is that the schools pretty much are terrible unless you go private and you can't just let them out to play in the neighborhood, but instead go to activities or supervise play.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I'm raising two kids in a safe city neighborhood. The problem is that the schools pretty much are terrible unless you go private and you can't just let them out to play in the neighborhood, but instead go to activities or supervise play.
Let me see if I got that. You're raising two kids in a safe city neighborhood, they just can't go outside to play or go to school? Supervised play? I think that's an oxymoron. I'll bet that really spawns creativity in kids.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,821,266 times
Quote:
Mine go to the zoned public school and play outside all the time.

Not sure how many neighborhoods in Baltimore have the ability for both though.

But honestly when you live in the heart of any city, letting your kids just run around the neighborhood largely unsupervised isn't really an option anyway. That's not really a Baltimore thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM

158 posts, read 217,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post

This is a joke right? Raise kids in bmore/hood or raise kids in Potomac/Bethesda.

I choose Bmore/Hood because my kids will be more prepared (for what?). LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore