Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Baltimore has some things going for it the port, Hopkins and proximity to DC. Otherwise it would be Detroit by the Atlantic.
That's like saying New York has some things going for it, like the financial industry. Otherwise it would be Detroit on the Hudson. Or Washington has some things going for it, like the federal government. Otherwise it would be Detroit on the Potomac.

Every city has assets and liabilities. They just need to be smart about building on the former and minimizing the latter, which I think is what The Sun article was getting at. It's hard to believe that just a few decades ago NYC was on the verge of bankruptcy and experiencing rapid population decline, but Ed Koch managed to turn the city around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,051 times
Baltimore thrives because of its port, its strong communities, its close proximity to D.C. and Philly, great shops and movie theatres, tons of bars and everything is walking distance. Itook one bus to and back to work, a lived 3 blocks from teh grocery store, 7 blocks from my doctor/dentist, a free bus to take me to Harbor East, which I frequented often, the Landmark The Rotunda and Charles Theatre all gave me a different movie experience, my gym was one bus away from, when i didnt want to walk it, and my best friends i met there. Honestly there aint one disadvantage living there. So much diversity in food and restaurants too. I can can a chicken box or dress fancy and spend $150 with a loved one.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
No comparison. Baltimore has issues and some big ones, mostly with violent crime and a really rough ghetto.

But the city also has so many positives. Baltimore has many thriving urban neighborhoods that continue to grow and become more popular. Downtown Baltimore has attractions and tends to be busy with tourists etc. Downtown and Harbor east are still bustling business centers. Baltimore has better transit and is just a much healthier city in general.

I think the crime and rougher areas of Baltimore get all the attention, meanwhile, so few people know about the healthy, growing and thriving parts of urban Baltimore. Detroit is in a whole different league of urban decay and blight.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,786 times
Baltimiore and Detroit have alot of differences but they are both as dark

Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
DC's prosperity definitely bleeds into Baltimore, plus Charles Street is f'ing awesome!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
DC's prosperity definitely bleeds into Baltimore, plus Charles Street is f'ing awesome!
Baltimore's prosperity is bleeding into Baltimore.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
10 Worst Cities to Visit in the United States | EscapeHere

Interesting. I guess Baltimore has enough positives to avoid this list.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Being originally from Detroit, I don't see any similarities at all. Some may point to crime but few mention New Orleans which outbeats both of them. Some may mention racial make-up but Detroit is something like 85% African-American.
Detroit is geographically flat with lots of lawns and freeways. It has hardly any rows. It lacks nearby forests and other major cosmopolitan cities (DC, Philly). It also lacks an ocean to the east and mountains to the west. It's avenues are much broader and it does not have the streetlife Baltimore has. It is also very spread out with a huge city area. Baltimore is tiny in comparison. It doesn't have any transit to speak of. I could go on.......

The topic should read, "Why Any City is Not Detroit". It is the only one in bankruptcy excluding Flint, it's nearby neighbor.

Detroit also lacks an active volcano. Just sayin.

" It also lacks an ocean to the east and mountains to the west."

Oh no! Where did the mountains and the ocean go?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Detroit also lacks an active volcano. Just sayin.

" It also lacks an ocean to the east and mountains to the west."

Oh no! Where did the mountains and the ocean go?

childish. No wonder few take you seriously.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
I also believe that Baltimore City has a better relationship with the State of Maryland and the surrounding counties than Detriot has with its suburbs.. There is racial and economic contrast between the Detroit City and its Suburbs and potentially the State of Michigan that makes the resemble a yoke around the city's neck. Baltimore doesnt have a perfect relationship with its suburbs but its more functional. Also, I think the Baltimore suburbs realize, though they may not admit it, that there is a symbiotic relationship between the City (being healthy or atleast breathing) and the health of the suburbs and the region. I dont think the Detroit suburbs believed that.. but now some of them may experience the same decline as the City (especially in areas immediately adjacent to it)... There was an article in one of the planning journals that summed it up perfectly ....when outside businesses and industry think of "Detroit" their frame of reference isnt a city limit line.. "Detroit" is a reflection of their entire metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore