Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 33,783 times

Advertisements

Where can I find the best crabs for quality and price in Baltimore? Is there any seafood market you recommend?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
Pick any crab place's name ("X Crabs") out of 'phone book. Tell a native that "X" has the best crabs in town. He will immediately tell you that you are full of beans, and that "Y" is far superior, and he's had'em all. Try "Y's" crabs. If they're not to your taste/pocketbook, tell another native that "Y's" has the heaviest and tastiest crabs in MD. He will tell you that you're crazy, and that "Z" is the only place to go. Repeat process until you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 AM

226 posts, read 413,522 times
Dundalk.

Oh wait, did you say buy or catch?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Baltimore Steamed Crabs and Baltimore Crab Houses

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
I'm a big fan of LP Steamers. The only place I wouldn't recommend is Phillips.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM

89 posts, read 208,060 times
Most if not all places that carry steamed crabs near downtown are generally average and overpriced. If you are looking for take out crabs, your best bet is crab corner in west Baltimore. The area is a little sketchy, but the prices are the best I have found in the city. Otherwise I would recommend going to either Anne Arundel or Baltimore County closer to the bay.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:32 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
There are hundreds of "Maryland" Blue Crab restaurants serving thousands of bushels a day in Maryland. Because of industrial and farm pollution as well as runoff form cities like Baltimore, the Bay Blue crab population, while stronger, cannot keep up with the demand at a price people are willing to pay. Therefore, most (not all) crabs in Maryland come from some place other than Maryland- usually from Louisiana. (from a place like this:Wholesale Blue Crab)
You want fresh blue crabs that are most likely going to be the same crabs you find in a Maryland restaurant- order them yourself.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
Most if not all places that carry steamed crabs near downtown are generally average and overpriced. If you are looking for take out crabs, your best bet is crab corner in west Baltimore. The area is a little sketchy, but the prices are the best I have found in the city. Otherwise I would recommend going to either Anne Arundel or Baltimore County closer to the bay.
Some Baltimore ladies I met once told me that the "crab corner" generally sells cheaper quality crabs and a lot of females. I've never tried them because that area is super sketchy. I'm an adventurous person and Baltimore doesn't faze me, but when I parked on Pratt just past Monroe, I seriously did not want to get out of the car and decided to just go someplace else. A few months ago I posted a thread asking about the "crab corner" but couldn't get any solid recommendations.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM

89 posts, read 208,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Some Baltimore ladies I met once told me that the "crab corner" generally sells cheaper quality crabs and a lot of females. I've never tried them because that area is super sketchy. I'm an adventurous person and Baltimore doesn't faze me, but when I parked on Pratt just past Monroe, I seriously did not want to get out of the car and decided to just go someplace else. A few months ago I posted a thread asking about the "crab corner" but couldn't get any solid recommendations.

I've only ever gone to Bay Island Seafood and have had a more positive experience in terms of quality and price (takeout) than anywhere else in the downtown area. They sell males, generally around $35/dozen for "larges" which are really mediums. I have never felt unsafe there during the day, night may be a different story.

I have had good crabs at LP Steamers, but I have also had some pretty disappointing and overpriced crabs there as well. Likewise at Bo Brooks. Anyone ever done the AUCE at Captain James?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM

66 posts, read 169,770 times
IMHO, for carry out crabs...Conrad's on Joppa Road in Parkville. I've never had a bad crab there. Just had them 2x's last week from there. Love Conrad's...they aren't cheap but always good quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: