Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,100,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Wow... this is one of the stupidest threads ever. Is there a point to it other than making racist comments against white people?

Saying that black people have an excuse to be lazy is ridiculous. Slavery is pointless to bring up. You were never a slave! I never owned a slave! It means nothing. If a white person and black person grow up in the same neighborhood, how does the white person have less of an excuse? It's all about your drive. Anyone can do anything if they want it bad enough. Excuses are for the lazy.

The blue collar comment is something I say all of the time. If you don't see the difference between DC and Baltimore lifestyles, you are being dense. I lived in DC for awhile before moving to Baltimore. I moved here because I prefer the blue collar lifestyle in the city. Yes, I have a blue collar job. No, I'm not a bartender. There are plenty of blue collar jobs out there that need to be done. What's wrong with someone who wants to be a plumber. Someone has to do it. I have a low-paying fire department job. I will never be rich but I enjoy my job and someone has to do it. Sorry I don't have a masters degree, but do you really care about that when I show up after you call 911?

People need to stop worrying about race. There are bad whites, bad blacks, bad hispanics, bad asians, bad everyone. There's also plenty of good. I have friends of every race and it means nothing to me. A friend is a friend. That's all that matters. There's a lot of great people in this city and I love living here. Unfortunately there's a lot of negative people on this forum who try their hardest to talk the city down. If you want change, then do something about it.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
Lucky I wasn't there to sucker punch the black guy for starting sh*t with one of our soldiers. Then I would have said, "NO, you is a b!t<h!"
Please go back to your pipe.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Slavery is pointless to bring up."

Why is it pointless? It's a part of American and global history! Just because you're inadequate within your intelligence and knowledge base to discuss these things, you have a problem with others who want to dialogue about this??!!

Seriously??
Infinite, you remind me of my cousin. Without fail, every conversation will somehow become about politics and then race. It's always devolves into slavery and reparations and how the white man keeps the black man in bondage (I'm getting a headache thinking about it). It's so bad, I actually avoid his calls and texts because he's only 47 (one year older than me) but it's like talking to that older relative who just keeps living in the past and can't move forward.

It's sad and it's a waste of your life. The past is the past and you can do nothing to change it. However, today, starting at this moment, is the beginning of the rest of your life.

You can live in the past (a past that you had no part in) or you can take what you have, your knowledge, skills, and abilities and use them to make the future you want or at least something close to it. All the rest is dust in the wind.

Maybe, we don't know our history but we all know our present circumstance. As individuals, it's incumbent upon each of us to answer two questions:

1) What do I want to do with my life?, and

2) What education or training do I need to acquire in order to realize my goal?

Once you answer these two questions, then you know what your personal mission is and what you should be striving to achieve.

I think if more people took this approach in life, then we would have more happy people and fewer people giving or receiving the isms (racism, sexism, etc.) and blaming others for their own unhappiness.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think Baltimore can benefit from having a delicate balance of residents.. Some from here.. some from someplace else.. That how a city evolves and becomes more cosmopolitan. The problem arises when Everybody is from "here" and where neighborhoods are so insular and parochial that they produced one sided mono cultured individuals.. This is a problem when the culture being practiced is one not of productive citizens that care about each other and their surroundings/community.. THAT negative behavior culture transcends race and we all know what I am referring to...so I wont belabor that issue. The interesting dichotomy between Baltimore and DC is one of in DC most people are from someplace else..and that has produced a certain culture.. some like some dont.. but the City has certainly, to some degree benefited from it. Baltimore, more people are likely from Baltimore than those that have move here. Certain neighborhoods.. the opposite is true.. but the City as a whole is probably more indigenous Baltimoreans than not..Again pros and cons.. the culture of your corner bars, mom and pop stores, neighborhood festivals and block parties and simply being a true "neighborhood" are attractive attributes of this City.. those same attributes can be negative if the predominate culture of a neighborhood is one of crime, self destruction, neglect and lack of community pride........

Baltimore is not unique in that regard.. You can go to Detriot, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis, Memphis, sections of Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, and most small midwestern, southern and post industrial northeastern towns and see the same thing.. I think where Baltimore gets a bad wrap is.. It is considered a 'large city' it has a triving tourist economy and is located between DC and Boston.. where most 'large cities' are viewed as having evolved out of this sterotype monoculture for the most part. Baltimore is probably the largest of the major East Coast Cities that many may still view as being very parochial and insular... followed by PHilly...but Philly certainly has a more cosmo feel than we have and has made a concerted effort to evolve beyond that reputation.. to one becoming the sixth borough of NYC.......
Excellent explanation. We have lived here 10 years and have been treated horribly when we tell people we are not from here. I understand Baltimore wants to keep its hometown flavor, but the city needs money, diversity and stuff to do!!! You can't grow holding on to the same all the time. A little hometown with out of town and this city could explode. People here need to know there is life outside Baltimore and its ok to be from some place else. But again, city and state gov needs to also know there's life past Pratt and Paca! When is Howard street, north avenue etc going to get some help? Baltimore is the largest city in Maryland and you would never know it.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
Sorry buddy but whatever point you were trying to make just lost all credibility with this post. Not sure what typical American story you are talking about but I think beating someone up taking their "woman" sounds more like assault and rape. Maybe that's why so many blacks are enjoying the prison system in this country.
Wow.

Either you were making a poor attempt to be funny or you're totally clueless and insensitive.

Which is it?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think Baltimore can benefit from having a delicate balance of residents.. Some from here.. some from someplace else.. That how a city evolves and becomes more cosmopolitan. The problem arises when Everybody is from "here" and where neighborhoods are so insular and parochial that they produced one sided mono cultured individuals.. This is a problem when the culture being practiced is one not of productive citizens that care about each other and their surroundings/community.. THAT negative behavior culture transcends race and we all know what I am referring to...so I wont belabor that issue. The interesting dichotomy between Baltimore and DC is one of in DC most people are from someplace else..and that has produced a certain culture.. some like some dont.. but the City has certainly, to some degree benefited from it. Baltimore, more people are likely from Baltimore than those that have move here. Certain neighborhoods.. the opposite is true.. but the City as a whole is probably more indigenous Baltimoreans than not..Again pros and cons.. the culture of your corner bars, mom and pop stores, neighborhood festivals and block parties and simply being a true "neighborhood" are attractive attributes of this City.. those same attributes can be negative if the predominate culture of a neighborhood is one of crime, self destruction, neglect and lack of community pride........

Baltimore is not unique in that regard.. You can go to Detriot, Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis, Memphis, sections of Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, and most small midwestern, southern and post industrial northeastern towns and see the same thing.. I think where Baltimore gets a bad wrap is.. It is considered a 'large city' it has a triving tourist economy and is located between DC and Boston.. where most 'large cities' are viewed as having evolved out of this sterotype monoculture for the most part. Baltimore is probably the largest of the major East Coast Cities that many may still view as being very parochial and insular... followed by PHilly...but Philly certainly has a more cosmo feel than we have and has made a concerted effort to evolve beyond that reputation.. to one becoming the sixth borough of NYC.......

Good point. One thing that many aren't remembering, myself and infinite heights are guilty of this, is that Baltimore is a city of neighborhoods. In neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point, Fed Hill, Harbor East, Mount Vernon, Hampden and others, you actually get a more cosmopolitan feel. People come from all over the country. Diversity isn't a problem at all. Then there's the other half of the city that's mostly locals. So I can admit that I've been looking at a skewed picture of it all. Though I'm still not changing my viewpoint on 90% of everything else I said.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Good point. One thing that many aren't remembering, myself and infinite heights are guilty of this, is that Baltimore is a city of neighborhoods. In neighborhoods like Canton, Fells Point, Fed Hill, Harbor East, Mount Vernon, Hampden and others, you actually get a more cosmopolitan feel. People come from all over the country. Diversity isn't a problem at all. Then there's the other half of the city that's mostly locals. So I can admit that I've been looking at a skewed picture of it all. Though I'm still not changing my viewpoint on 90% of everything else I said.

Agreed.. and you bring up an intersting point.. those neighbrohoods that you mentioned probably are the ones that may have more or at least a even balance of... locals and transplants.. The interesting thing is many of the transplants moved to these neighborhoods, not only because of their location.. but also likely because of their character and being a "hometown" and because of that neighborhood feel. Many transplants want to support the "local" hometown business and corner stores and shun chains. This is good for the local business and the community as a whole. Also, transplants..more so if they purchase and plan to stay awhile as opposed to rent. Tend to get involved with community organizations and activities that make the neighborhood better or act in the perceived best interest of the neighborhood. One can simply look at the opposition to expansion of bars in Fed Hill or the Red Line in Canton to get a sense of that... though in the case of the Red Line I would wonder how many of those who oppose it are locals/homegrown versus transplants.

I recall a woman living north of Patterson Park in a "transitional" neighborhood telling me how she came to the defense of transplants when a man was stating that the neighborhood is being gentrified by "folks who are not from here". The women reminded him that the neighborhood has been cleaner, looked nicer, and the police response time along with DPW had increased because of the new residents who tend to be more active and less intimidated by local thugs in terms of reporting on their activities.... THAT fact alone benefits everyone in the neighborhood

One thing about race and gentrification... low income whites are being displaced by upper income whites in Baltimore moreso than lower income blacks being displaced by upper income whites. Hampden, Woodberry, Federal Hill, Canton, Highlandtown, Greektown, to name a few have been predominately ethnic white neighborhoods. Johns Hopkins may be the only recent exception.. but that story is yet to be written since most of the new homes built are rentals and include mostly former residents who were primarily African American. Places Like Uplands (under construction), Heritage Crossing, Jonestown, Orchard Ridge, Frankford Estates have been redevelop and where upper income african americans and a few whites have replaced lower income african americans who were renting in subsidized housing.... these are probably some of the only exceptions.

. Now Im only talking about from the 1950s to the present.. if you go back further than that...and analyze "white flight" and related middle class actions..then many neighborhoods have changed over from one race to another. Today though.. those racial lines are now more firmly established and neighborhoods are likely more diverse and divided based on socioeconomics

Last edited by Woodlands; 08-07-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,185 times
I feel there is still racial tension through out the city if we want to admit or not. I walk down the street and there are tags of "F white people" written on side walks and parks. Locals would even say many communities are not used to the presence of white people in its areas. It's one of the few areas I have ever been too where I have seen very few interracial couples in public. Realistically, neighborhoods today are generally segregated excluding your downtown areas. You can drive through Boyd-Booth and see mostly black folks, then ride just west through Mill Hill and see mostly low income white folks. Racial tension has always been a problem in Baltimore since the 1960s, which explains for much of the plight of such neighborhoods. Hopefully overtime, rejuvenation programs in which I partake will help the city prosper as one again.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
Just seeing this!

With all due respect, what are you talking about? Living in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Infinite, you remind me of my cousin. Without fail, every conversation will somehow become about politics and then race. It's always devolves into slavery and reparations and how the white man keeps the black man in bondage (I'm getting a headache thinking about it). It's so bad, I actually avoid his calls and texts because he's only 47 (one year older than me) but it's like talking to that older relative who just keeps living in the past and can't move forward.

*I'm sorry that you're experience some sense of physical pain when discussing this most sensitive issue. For some reason, you've attempted to draw a solid picture of me and my politics just by most post. Unfortunately, this is forum is very limited. Haven't you heard the mantra, "there are 2 things that you shouldn't discuss with people, religion and politics." So, one might argue for a third, and that would be race! Some scientists might argue that the past, present and future are working all in accordance of each other (but, that is topic for a whole other discussion).

It's sad and it's a waste of your life. The past is the past and you can do nothing to change it. However, today, starting at this moment, is the beginning of the rest of your life.

**It is sad that people do continue waste their lives. They waste it through improper nutrition, poor money management, mis-education, poor thinking, drugs, alcohol, greed, evny and hate. That's just the reality of our existence in the world. "The past is the past and you can do nothing to change it." *I'm not sure what your point was so I refrain from commenting on it.

You can live in the past (a past that you had no part in) or you can take what you have, your knowledge, skills, and abilities and use them to make the future you want or at least something close to it. All the rest is dust in the wind.

**No comment. I would say one thing, it's obvious that you may need to read, study and research a little more. We are here because of a past, someone's past has brought you here to this world. Your parent's past, your grand-parents and their parents. These people, like all people, have their own histories and narratives. So, once again, I don't understand your frame of reference? Sorry..

Maybe, we don't know our history but we all know our present circumstance. As individuals, it's incumbent upon each of us to answer two questions:

**And, why is it that we don't know are history? Or don't care to know our history? Interesting comment. That is a pretty general statement that we all know our present circumstances. Some don't, some do.

1) What do I want to do with my life?, and

2) What education or training do I need to acquire in order to realize my goal?

Once you answer these two questions, then you know what your personal mission is and what you should be striving to achieve.

**You see, you are missing the point?! If you think that personal success trumps collective power, and all people have to do is strive to achieve, and everything will be O-tay, then you are missing the point.

I think if more people took this approach in life, then we would have more happy people and fewer people giving or receiving the isms (racism, sexism, etc.) and blaming others for their own unhappiness.

**Ok, I'll leave you with your opinions and perspectives, because obviously, we're seeing different things. But your words are appreciated.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 08-07-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
*Interesting and a genuine perspective. You have more hope than I do. With the level of thinking of most Baltimoreans, I don't see this rejuvenation coming any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I feel there is still racial tension through out the city if we want to admit or not. I walk down the street and there are tags of "F white people" written on side walks and parks. Locals would even say many communities are not used to the presence of white people in its areas. It's one of the few areas I have ever been too where I have seen very few interracial couples in public. Realistically, neighborhoods today are generally segregated excluding your downtown areas. You can drive through Boyd-Booth and see mostly black folks, then ride just west through Mill Hill and see mostly low income white folks. Racial tension has always been a problem in Baltimore since the 1960s, which explains for much of the plight of such neighborhoods. Hopefully overtime, rejuvenation programs in which I partake will help the city prosper as one again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore