Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You're not the only one who is trying to "uncover this reasoning!!" Being born in 1969, many of what took place was before my birth. There are truths to what you say about Blacks not maintaining a sense of neighborhood ethics and decorum. I've heard this from Black folks themselves!!!! It is true, that some Jewish people did help assist Black folks, maybe up until the Black Power Movement (a whole other topic). My great-grandmother told me a story when she first moved down here from Philadelphia. The white Anglo-Saxons wouldn't give her a job, but a Jewish family did in their bakery. The relationship between Black and Jews in this city has been "hot and cold" depending on whom you speak with.
Too bad you've got racist anti-semite hatemongers like Farrakhan completely undoing all of this goodwill between Jews and Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:22 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers101 View Post
Black people have a really negative history in this country, and many have lost their identity of who they are. Whites, even though they call themselves American, know about their Irish, German, English, Polish heritage, etc. Blacks know nothing about their tribes, culture, etc or where they came from except this continent called Africa. It's very unfortunate. So many through that time frame have gone downhill morally and ethically. Over the last 50 years things have changed, and it's time for them to move on (really no other choice). Many nowadays are lazy or look for excuses, I'm not denying that. However, it doesn't negate the fact that their history as 2nd class citizens and not having a real base of identity has negatively impacted their evolvement in society. Whites have no excuse in my book. There is no reason why there are so many worthless, scumbag, welfare, overweight, white trash in this country. I can't understand it. And the fact that these people have the nerve to be arrogant and think they're better than others illustrates the delusion of their worthless being.
There are many African Americans who have kept family records which provide a great deal of information regarding our specific African ancestry. I was raised in the North; however, some of my distant relatives in the South still have the official records (and oratory history) which reveals our ancestors' specific country (and tribe) of origin.

My family has always known that our origin is in Nigeria (and more specifically our tribe of origin, at least on my Mom's side is Ibo). I have visited West Africa and always found it quite interesting that some of my facial features are very much in sync with my distant Nigerian ancestors.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,021 times
Just like Woodlands stated, Blacks as well as Jews were discriminated against whether it was housing, jobs, schools, etc....I grew up in the south (North Carolina) and my mother relocated my siblings and I to Baltimore back in the early 60's. We lived in the West Baltimore area and as a child I could remember blocks and blocks of row houses with white marble steps. Each Saturday, my mother would have my sister and I wash the marble steps and clean the area around where we lived.

On my last visit to Baltimore and to the same neighborhood, I could not believe what had happened over the years...Very disturbing and very unfortunate......

Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
[
Interesting comment.

quote=ToneGrail;30871004]Too bad you've got racist anti-semite hatemongers like Farrakhan completely undoing all of this goodwill between Jews and Blacks.[/quote]

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Thank You for sharing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
There are many African Americans who have kept family records which provide a great deal of information regarding our specific African ancestry. I was raised in the North; however, some of my distant relatives in the South still have the official records (and oratory history) which reveals our ancestors' specific country (and tribe) of origin.

My family has always known that our origin is in Nigeria (and more specifically our tribe of origin, at least on my Mom's side is Ibo). I have visited West Africa and always found it quite interesting that some of my facial features are very much in sync with my distant Nigerian ancestors.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM

The history and relationship between Blacks Americans and Jewish Americans is that of a complex one, that is much larger than Minister Louis Farrakhan or his comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Too bad you've got racist anti-semite hatemongers like Farrakhan completely undoing all of this goodwill between Jews and Blacks.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Have you ever seen a film entitled Liberty Heights by Barry Levison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCTo View Post
Just like Woodlands stated, Blacks as well as Jews were discriminated against whether it was housing, jobs, schools, etc....I grew up in the south (North Carolina) and my mother relocated my siblings and I to Baltimore back in the early 60's. We lived in the West Baltimore area and as a child I could remember blocks and blocks of row houses with white marble steps. Each Saturday, my mother would have my sister and I wash the marble steps and clean the area around where we lived.

On my last visit to Baltimore and to the same neighborhood, I could not believe what had happened over the years...Very disturbing and very unfortunate......

Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Liberty Heights Movie Review & Film Summary (1999) | Roger Ebert

Baltimore, 1954. Integration is the law of the land, and none too soon for Ben Kurtzman and his best pals, who are freshmen in high school. They regard the sign outside a municipal swimming pool: "No Jews, dogs or colored." Dogs they understand. They ask themselves why Jews are listed first and decide it's because "you never see any colored at the beach, so it must be directed mainly at Jews." Not deep analytical thinking, but they are distracted by the girls on the other side of the chain-link fence, their plump bits displayed in frilly bathing suits. This will be a year of discovery for Ben, and by the time it is over, he will understand more about Negroes, Jews, segregation and himself.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCTo View Post

Growing up in DC that was always a great Baltimore thing, the marble steps and the pride people took to keep them clean, I would look forward to seeing them when I would visit. What happened?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Growing up in DC that was always a great Baltimore thing, the marble steps and the pride people took to keep them clean, I would look forward to seeing them when I would visit. What happened?

They're still there. Just have to look a bit harder. But on weekends, I see some old-timers doing their stoops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore