Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM

225 posts, read 429,009 times

Advertisements

So I have noticed something about Baltimore that I don't quite get, maybe someone here can explain it to me.

I've lived in the South, Midwest, and West Coast before coming here. I'm not rich, so I took a lot of public transit (even in cities where must white chicks don't). I never felt uncomfortable on transit in any of those cities.

Here, I've had several "uncomfortable" experiences, where people (usually but not always black women) have given me what I would call a pretty hateful stare. Like, continuously for the entire time that I'm riding the bus or train. I've also had people come up and hit my car. For example when I'm trying to turn left on a green arrow (like I start going, they start crossing even though they don't have a signal, I stop to let them pass, and as they go they hit my car with their hand and make gestures). It's happened enough times that I don't think I just ran across a couple of loonies.

So what's up with that? What did I do to these people? I drive a normal car, look pretty average, try to be polite, and don't stare or do anything provoking. I'm trying to understand what it is about Baltimore that makes it so different from pretty much everywhere else I've lived in this respect. It makes me think that whatever is in the past of this city is really really ugly... and it surprises me because in the South I find people (of all classes) to be really far more polite than in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
I have had the same experiences with people walking in front of my car. I have lived here for 10 years. I don't understand a lot of it and don't want to, but don't put too much into it. Just go about your business and tune these folks out. Not everyone is like that but enough are. I have always said Baltimore is a different place. If you didn't grow up here it's hard to really understand the people. That would be true for any city.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

148 posts, read 242,484 times
Do you have an exit plan? Forget Baltimore, the people there have bad attitudes and are proud of the thugish behavior.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Baltimore envies different swag on the low, mostly the women. If you talk proper and don't have the accent you will be labeled "uppity" or conceited. Its even worse when you are black because you will be labeled an uncle Tom. As far as Baltimore's past its very messed up and I can't begin to explain it. All you can do is tune them out and go about your life and surround yourself with better off people. Riding public transit in this city though.... its impossible to avoid the ghetto ass people.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
It's jealousy, hatred, self-hatred, envy, poverty, miseducation, mental health, racism, intra-racism, drugs, guns, poor leadership, financial mismanagement, on and on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Baltimore envies different swag on the low, mostly the women. If you talk proper and don't have the accent you will be labeled "uppity" or conceited. Its even worse when you are black because you will be labeled an uncle Tom. As far as Baltimore's past its very messed up and I can't begin to explain it. All you can do is tune them out and go about your life and surround yourself with better off people. Riding public transit in this city though.... its impossible to avoid the ghetto ass people.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM

"If you talk proper and don't have the accent you will be labeled "uppity" or conceited. Its even worse when you are black because you will be labeled an uncle Tom."

*Who has time for such misplaced and ignorant thinking?! Equating with people who speak proper with foolishness, being white and all that garbage. Most of these folks don't even know who the real Uncle Tom was and what he carried out.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 AM

There should be a WAR or movement against ignorance in Baltimore.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
There should be a WAR or movement against ignorance in Baltimore.
I'm afraid there would be a lot of victims.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Baltimore folks have a very individualistic attitude. Trust no one, everyone may want to get you.. Even my best friend attitude. No one understands it and I'm surrounded by it. Don't take it personal although its discomforting.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Yeah, people in Baltimore are very high-minded
.......so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: