Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM

775 posts, read 1,776,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
No one is arguing that this is inevitable or an ideal way to have a city, but personally I'd rather fight for a better Baltimore by living in the city than taking flight to the suburbs and gated communities. Complaining on the internet is not really going to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Exactly! Added to that is the daily mentioning on the news of crimes committed in the burbs as well. There are many areas of the city that are as safe or safer than some suburban areas but on this site: generalities rule!
Where do I start? First, I live in the city. I don't live in the burbs. I don't even live in Vermont. I'm right here.
Second, thanks for making my point about staying here. For quite a while posters on this forum have been offering me the "leave Baltimore if you don't like it" solution to the city's problems. I guess it could be because many of them respond to me emotionally, rather than intelligently. Case in point- the second quoted post. Number three. Generalities? jonjj, do you even read other people's posts or are you so anxious to respond that you don't take the time? (with over 4,000 posts, I think I know the answer) I posted an article containing very specific information about crimes and where they have occurred. this information may cause some one to be a little more prepared. On the other hand, I can't count the number of times jonjj has posted the ultimate generality-"Crime happens everywhere." Wonder where I got my screen name? Just read some of this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM

775 posts, read 1,776,932 times
Quote:
Exactly! Added to that is the daily mentioning on the news of crimes committed in the burbs as well. There are many areas of the city that are as safe or safer than some suburban areas but on this site: generalities rule!
jonjj
befriend

4,111 posts, read 7,422,400 times

The attitudes in Baltimore are no different than any other major city. Let's all not be so naïve. Generally, I do think Baltimore is more friendly than DC. But then again, I think every city's residents are more friendly than DCs.
Rate this post positively

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 AM

74 posts, read 121,583 times
If these joggers were allowed to carry a gun, nobody would have attacked them.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,908,449 times
Im so sick and tired reading about gangs of "urban youth" roaming cities and punching random people in the face and also stealing cell phones.

Also why do stolen smart phones even have value? They should be worthless and locked by carriers after reported stolen.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 AM

26 posts, read 55,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers101 View Post
If these joggers were allowed to carry a gun, nobody would have attacked them.
Think about what you just said. Even if we could carry, how many people would jog with a gun? That just sounds silly to me.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
jonjj
befriend

4,111 posts, read 7,422,400 times

The attitudes in Baltimore are no different than any other major city. Let's all not be so naïve. Generally, I do think Baltimore is more friendly than DC. But then again, I think every city's residents are more friendly than DCs.
Rate this post positively

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Seems to me we have both been on this site for the same amount of time. That is if you include your other name "bawlmer" which goes back to around 2007. Added to that are all the other misnomers you have used on this site to help give yourself some sort of credence. I think we both know who made most of the opinionated generalities with little or no references to back them up. I'll leave it at that. Now, go find someone else to pester for awhile child.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,907,990 times
Quote:
Seems to me we have both been on this site for the same amount of time. That is if you include your other name "bawlmer" which goes back to around 2007. Added to that are all the other misnomers you have used on this site to help give yourself some sort of credence. I think we both know who made most of the opinionated generalities with little or no references to back them up. I'll leave it at that. Now, go find someone else to pester for awhile child.
jonjj, you are pretty much an apologist for criminals and Democrats, no matter what the circumstances. Sad, but true.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
jonjj, you are pretty much an apologist for criminals and Democrats, no matter what the circumstances. Sad, but true.
cute. I've been called a lot of names in my life, but never an apologist. Thank you. I can add that one to the record. I guess you equate democrats with criminals. There ya go. Another factual comment. Just what I love about this site.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,778,462 times
So you do know the difference between low risk and no risk right?

I think perhaps you should look up recent crimes in old money urban neighborhoods like the Upper East Side of Manhattan or multiple sections of Boston to get a little perspective.

Hint: you will have the occasional mugging or whatnot in those places too.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

225 posts, read 426,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So you do know the difference between low risk and no risk right?

I think perhaps you should look up recent crimes in old money urban neighborhoods like the Upper East Side of Manhattan or multiple sections of Boston to get a little perspective.

Hint: you will have the occasional mugging or whatnot in those places too.
Yup. This is America, it's the society we live in. Other societies are different for many many diverse reasons. Some worse, a few quite a bit better. If you don't like the crime, think about what causes it. The answer isn't "throw more people in jail." It takes all of us "buying in"... it's a big change and it will realistically take generations. I'm an optimistic person so I'd like to think it will happen in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore