U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM

13 posts, read 97,042 times

Advertisements

Is there any forms of organized crime in the city? Is it anything like the show on HBO The Wire?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,688,776 times
Default Yes

Of course there is organized crime. How much of it is homegrown and how much is linked to other cities depends on who you ask.
As to "The Wire," it is totally authentic even though it is scripted. Drug activity like that occurs in several parts of the city.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 97,042 times
Yeah I figured that much. There's quite a few things that go on here in San Antonio, involving Mexikaneme, Gulf Cartel and the Sinoa Cartel. I just know that San Antonio is one of the major trafficking hubs to Cleveland, Omaha and Harrisburg. I never carught word of Baltimore.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,372,959 times
There is organized crime up and down the east coast and all of it is indirectly related.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM

258 posts, read 994,743 times
I am wondering what kinds of Organized Crime is here in Baltimore. I am a pretty avid read of OC...and have rarely come across anything on OC in Baltimore. There was a book on the Philly mob a few years ago called "The Goodfella Tapes". There was discussion of at least one mob hit here in town...but its been a while since I have read it. I am not sure where it was or who was shot. Talking to some of the local people they talk about some of the social clubs in Little Italy and Highlandtown.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM

72 posts, read 442,342 times
To me, organized crime is any criminal activity that is carried out in an organized fashion by a group of people. This includes not just the mafia, but drug gangs and "crews", and gangs. Baltimore has plenty of criminal drug organizations, and now gangs are quickly catching up. I am curious to see how the two organizations will play out against/with each other. I wish the Wire would introduce that aspect into the storyline, but this is the last season.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Season 2 was about the Greek/Eastern European OC groups....and their dealings with local black organizations...and the dock unions.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM

757 posts, read 2,511,600 times
In David Simon's (the creator of the Wire) books (Homicide: Life on the Street and The Corner), it seems like one of the arguments that he makes for why there is so much violent street crime in Baltimore is that there isn't the presence of organized crime. It sounds counterintuitive, but it makes sense because you have a lot of small, local "gangs" fighting over turf to sell drugs. With organized crime, there's much more of a hierarchy that controls people's actions. In Baltimore, everyone's their own boss.

However, I'm sure there is a connection with what most people consider organized crime. There also seems to be a growing influence of national gangs such as the Crips and Bloods, although there's debate whether these groups are really influenced by the national organization or if they're just local groups who want to give a name to themselves.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 AM

ya rudy......Baltimore has been a "open territory" for some time. Nobody has been in charge.

Legend has it that J Edgar Hoover had a "deal" with the Mafia to NOT have families in Baltimore or DC.......to keep them away from the Federal Govt and out of the limelight. Not sure how much truth there is to that....but other than probably Seattle...these are the only 2 major cities that never really had an official "family".

Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 AM

418 posts, read 1,708,776 times
There are organized gangs, especially black gangs, and some small time Greek stuff, but they seem extremely localized and focused on drug dealing, and they don't own politicians or sanitation or docks like in other places. Most gangs are built around neighborhood affiliations, like the So-and-so Street Boys or whatever. I agree with rudy_d's comment that the recent emergence of "Crips" and "Bloods" seems unusual and perhaps overstated. I also agree that part of the reason the drug trade is so bloody in Baltimore is because it's so decentralized.

It's nothing like the stereotypical Italian (and recently Russian) mafias that predominate in NYC or Philly or Providence, or the Irish gangs in Boston. Baltimore's never had a real Mafia presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore