Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM

22 posts, read 45,210 times

Advertisements

Yet another D.C. resident looking to move to Baltimore -- fed up with D.C.'s absurd housing prices, and I do most of my work remotely, so it's time for a change.

Looking into neighborhoods now and could use some guidance from local experts/natives.

I'm 32/F, not married, no kids/pets, not a partier anymore but do like to be within walking distance of some restaurants, coffee shops, bars. Also walking distance to groceries.

I need a 1-BR apartment rental, under $900/month, no roommates. I'll have to travel to D.C. fairly often so it should be easy to get on the highway (though I expect to use the MARC sometimes too.) And although I know Baltimore isn't the safest place, I'd like to feel not terrified on my own at night.

I'm most familiar with Hampden (which I like but I'm probably ruling out -- it's a little too sleepy residential for me, and too far from downtown) and Upper Fells/Butcher Hill (which I like as an outsider but am told is rife with frat boys?). Federal Hill's too snooty for me. And living around lots of families is fine, but being happily childless myself I don't want a neighborhood that's 100 percent strollers.

Given the info above, what neighborhoods should I be browsing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM

225 posts, read 429,382 times
Mount Vernon, if you are willing to up your price a bit. I think 1100/mo would get you a decent 1 bedroom. Tons of nightlife, stuff to do, restaurants. It's big and walkable. Harbor East is nice, more upscale and modern, but will be more expensive. Also, check out Hampden again, there's more stuff going in all the time and I wouldn't call the Avenue sleepy.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 PM

65 posts, read 158,824 times
Seconding Mount Vernon. I think you can find a studio for $900 but a 1 BR will probably be a bit more. It's safe and has many great restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. There's at least one grocery store in the area that I know of that you could walk to. You could also easily walk to Penn Station to take the MARC or Amtrak to DC, and it's fairly convenient to drive to 95. Within walking distance of downtown as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM

With Mount Vernon, if I have to go outside that neighborhood's official boundaries, what are the best options near there? Any in particular to seek out/avoid? I've heard a couple people praise Bolton Hill but don't know much about it.

So is what I'm hearing right about Upper Fells/Butcher Hill -- frat boys, 20-something drunks? I kind of like the vibe of that area, a little ramshackle... old houses with character ... they don't have that sort of cold elegance of the ones in Mount Vernon.

As for my price range – I should add that my standards probably aren't as high as a typical woman my age. In D.C. I lived with multiple roommates until hitting 30, then a pretty sh*tty, not well-kept rent-control building. And I say 1-BR not because I need the square footage (I'm fine with anything over like, 500), but because I find I mentally need two rooms because I do a lot of work at home/don't want to work in my bedroom.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
I've never heard anyone call Upper Fells/Butchers Hill a frat boy/20-something drunk neighborhood. They really aren't even close to that. Some call Fed Hill a frat boy neighborhood and they call Fells Point a drunk/party neighborhood. Upper Fells and Butchers Hill are MUCH quieter. There actually isn't really much to do at all as far as going out. They are cheaper than the popular neighborhoods and aren't too far from them but there isn't a nightlife area in any of them. It's just little corner dive bars. I suggest driving around some time there. It should be pretty easy to tell that it's more of a residential neighborhood that's fairly quiet.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Good suggestions so far, I agree with FFnight that Upper Fells/Butchers is far from frat boyish.

Seton Hill is a good cheaper option close to Mt. Vernon. Some parts are nice, some less some when you get closer to MLK. I'd also consider an area like Barre Circle.

I don't think living in Baltimore will be much different than DC safety wise if you stay away from the hood which are mostly In West Baltimore and East Baltimore, though east is rapidly changing.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDC View Post
Yet another D.C. resident looking to move to Baltimore -- fed up with D.C.'s absurd housing prices, and I do most of my work remotely, so it's time for a change.

Looking into neighborhoods now and could use some guidance from local experts/natives.

I'm 32/F, not married, no kids/pets, not a partier anymore but do like to be within walking distance of some restaurants, coffee shops, bars. Also walking distance to groceries.

I need a 1-BR apartment rental, under $900/month, no roommates. I'll have to travel to D.C. fairly often so it should be easy to get on the highway (though I expect to use the MARC sometimes too.) And although I know Baltimore isn't the safest place, I'd like to feel not terrified on my own at night.

I'm most familiar with Hampden (which I like but I'm probably ruling out -- it's a little too sleepy residential for me, and too far from downtown) and Upper Fells/Butcher Hill (which I like as an outsider but am told is rife with frat boys?). Federal Hill's too snooty for me. And living around lots of families is fine, but being happily childless myself I don't want a neighborhood that's 100 percent strollers.

Given the info above, what neighborhoods should I be browsing?
Check out the Symphony Apartments in the Mt. Vernon area. Nice, upbeat, can walk to train station. I am a DC transplant too, but moving back home.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Here's why Upper Fells/Butcher's Hill appeals to me: Patterson Park, walking distance of water, easy to get on the highway to D.C.

I do think there's something special about the Mount Vernon area, though, so I'll keep my eye out. Also, the price seem a little cheaper there. Looking on a map at the areas around it:

- I've never heard anyone mention or recommend the areas called "Mid-Town Belvedere," "Johnston Square," and "Old Town." Stay away?

- If I include Seton Hill in my search, should I stick close to the boundaries of Mount Vernon?

- Can anyone comment on Bolton Hill?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 AM

225 posts, read 429,382 times
Belvedere is kind of on the edge of some developing neighborhoods, but no good nightlife really. Its close to Towson U. There is a nice strip mall there and businesses on falls road. The other two I don't know. Seton hill can be nice, but is also close to crime areas and will be less safe than Mt Vernon. I recommend crimemapper.com to compare to where you've lived in DC. Most people I know wouldnt be comfortable with that area.

I second the opinion that upper fells is not fratty. However it is pretty quiet, and again the crime goes up as you go North from the harbor.

If I were you, without a lot of time to visit and explore, I'd stick with Mt Vernon, in fact the symphony apts might be a good option since you don't care about being in a beautiful town home. From there you can get on 95 in 8 minutes probably, and walk to MARC.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDC View Post
Here's why Upper Fells/Butcher's Hill appeals to me: Patterson Park, walking distance of water, easy to get on the highway to D.C.
It is not easy to get on the highway to D.C. from Upper Fells/Butcher's Hill at all. You either have to go through the downtown streets, or go east through Canton and then go through one of the tunnels.

What about Locust Point? I don't think many would consider it snooty, and it's quiet and safe. It has amenities that could be within walking distance, and it's extremely easy to get on I-95 from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore