Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

I plan to ride MARC from DC to Baltimore this Sunday and I have never ridden the system before. What's the best time to purchase a ticket, a day in advance or right before I board? Does MARC sell roundtrip tickets?

Up here in Boston, you can purchase a ticket for commuter rail anytime even if it means standing room only on busy trains. And yes we too have a $3 surcharge for any ticket purchased on board when the station you boarded from has its own ticket outlet. I assume MARC has a similar policy right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
You can purchase MARC one-way tickets up to a year in advance. You purchase two one-way tickets for a round trip. You would only request a round trip ticket when you're purchasing onboard and wanting to avoid the $3 penalty twice (i.e. once for each one-way ticket purchase).

Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
When you're at the station, you can purchase from the ticket counter or from a quick track machine. There is a machine behind the information desk that usually doesn't have a line.

After seeing the crowds this past weekend, definitely give yourself some extra time to get tickets and through the station. It will not be as crowded this coming weekend, but there may still be a long-ish line for tickets with the holiday weekend.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
MTA to introduce bike car to weekend MARC service - Baltimore Sun

new bike car on select trains on MARC weekend service

Old 03-03-2015, 02:21 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
MTA expands Camden Line MARC service to bolster university connections - Baltimore Sun

Expanded service on Camden line to College Park beginning 3/9

Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
MTA expands Camden Line MARC service to bolster university connections - Baltimore Sun

Expanded service on Camden line to College Park beginning 3/9

From my own self serving position.. I hate the fact that they are adding College Park to the 553 Camden Line train.. that currently expresses to Muirkirk.. BUT.. I understand why they would want to do it....it will just make my Camden Line Trip to Baltimore a little longer...... I never realized that College Park had that much demand.....

I remember when they wanted to cut St. Denis from the Camden Line.. Those resident in that area raised hell.. all two of them.. and service was retained.......LOL>

Also speaking of the Camden Line.. I wonder with the plans surrounding the new Under Armour Development at Port Covington if they will make a DC to Fed Hill Train that would bring service near Port Covington/Federal Hill? They could likely divert two trains a day to Riverside-instead of Camden Yards (the current yard for the Camden Line) and achieve an expanded service

Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Also speaking of the Camden Line.. I wonder with the plans surrounding the new Under Armour Development at Port Covington if they will make a DC to Fed Hill Train that would bring service near Port Covington/Federal Hill? They could likely divert two trains a day to Riverside-instead of Camden Yards (the current yard for the Camden Line) and achieve an expanded service
Now that would be killer! The UA development at Port Covington will be a big deal for the city, and it is perfectly situated for rail service.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM

252 posts, read 425,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Now that would be killer! The UA development at Port Covington will be a big deal for the city, and it is perfectly situated for rail service.
I've thought about this for a while actually, as there were some mentions of using Riverside yard (interview KLynch did with a delegate a year ago), but the space seems tight to be honest. Further, that would really make Camden Station almost useless. I think using Lot O at M&T Bank Stadium would make a better use, as there is plenty of parking there as well. Then UA could have some sort of shuttle. But this way it'd serve more than UA.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
I've thought about this for a while actually, as there were some mentions of using Riverside yard (interview KLynch did with a delegate a year ago), but the space seems tight to be honest. Further, that would really make Camden Station almost useless. I think using Lot O at M&T Bank Stadium would make a better use, as there is plenty of parking there as well. Then UA could have some sort of shuttle. But this way it'd serve more than UA.
Rather than have UA provide a shuttle, it would be really nice if MTA would add a transit option between he stadium that provides reasonable service to Port Covington. That would support commuters for UA, and also help city center residents get to the Walmart and the new UA retail complex without needing a car. Right now, the "shortest" MTA option from the stadium is a rambling 30 minute bus ride through Westport and Cherry Hill.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM

252 posts, read 425,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Rather than have UA provide a shuttle, it would be really nice if MTA would add a transit option between he stadium that provides reasonable service to Port Covington. That would support commuters for UA, and also help city center residents get to the Walmart and the new UA retail complex without needing a car. Right now, the "shortest" MTA option from the stadium is a rambling 30 minute bus ride through Westport and Cherry Hill.
Apparently I rep you too often as CityData told me to spread the love. I couldn't agree more with this. While the MTA data is poor, the Transit App is awesome, and I hope it all leads to better and more timely service. If someone can design an app with poor data, I am hopeful that someone can illustrate the standard deviations on the service. Average headway is not a good measure. For example, if one bus is 15 minutes early and one is 15 minutes late, the average headway is in line with schedules. But the standard deviation should differ significantly, depending on whatever the average headway is for the route and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore