Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times

Advertisements

Zach Sowers is an awful story but I have to agree with the poster above tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I see we have a new poster who is going to make it their goal on here to keep everyone from moving to Baltimore, and instead commute from places like Philly and DC. Zach Sowers is a tragic story, no doubt about it, but it was more than 6 years ago and thousands and thousands of people have lived in that area and passed through and haven't been murdered. The story even was the main cog in getting the State's Attorney to lose re-election. So a terrible negative was turned into a small positive and a reason for change.

Since DC is so great, why don't you google some of the murders they've had in the last 12 months in great areas like Capitol Hill, Woodley Park, and Columbia Heights or a triple shooting they had in Georgetown two Halloweens ago.

I'm not trying to put down DC, but for you to hold an area accountable because of one incident six years ago is flat our ridiculous and absolute trolling. Take just about any are in the last 6 years, many considered as safe as anywhere, and you'll find some really tragic incidents.

It is a great area, and it is not perfect, but the chances of you getting murdered there are incredibly, incredibly low.

Very well-spoken. As a resident living quite close to where Mr. Sowers was killed, it affected me dearly. However, I didn't move and the neighborhood has seen nothing but significant growth and improvements since that occurrence. Unfortunately, is this country there is no safe-haven. In recent news, someone I happen to know was recently hit and killed while trying to cross York Road out in the county. Am I to hold the residents of that area responsible for her death? Mr. Sowers death was a tragedy but a rare tragedy is this neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Very well-spoken. As a resident living quite close to where Mr. Sowers was killed, it affected me dearly. However, I didn't move and the neighborhood has seen nothing but significant growth and improvements since that occurrence. Unfortunately, is this country there is no safe-haven. In recent news, someone I happen to know was recently hit and killed while trying to cross York Road out in the county. Am I to hold the residents of that area responsible for her death? Mr. Sowers death was a tragedy but a rare tragedy is this neighborhood.
Was that the doctor that jogged to work every morning?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM

132 posts, read 292,936 times
Default Lets be realistic

Zach Sowers was walking his pug on his own block when he was brutally murdered. Steve Pitcairn was walking home from the train station talking to his mom on the phone when he was killed. The guy up near herring park was getting his mail when he was killed. I think he worked for Hopkins as well.

Baltimore is dangerous. You could be minding your own business and end up dead. Is it likely? No. But the OP wanted a recommendation for as little crime as possible and Baltimore is not what he is looking for. Compared to a small town in central PA - this is a big, gritty city. Compared to Detriot- it is business as usual.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in sobo View Post
Zach Sowers was walking his pug on his own block when he was brutally murdered. Steve Pitcairn was walking home from the train station talking to his mom on the phone when he was killed. The guy up near herring park was getting his mail when he was killed. I think he worked for Hopkins as well.

Baltimore is dangerous. You could be minding your own business and end up dead. Is it likely? No. But the OP wanted a recommendation for as little crime as possible and Baltimore is not what he is looking for. Compared to a small town in central PA - this is a big, gritty city. Compared to Detriot- it is business as usual.

Mr. Sowers was not walking his pug when he was attacked. He was walking home from a bar pretty late at night. One of his attackers got 40 years prison time for the attack; not sure on the others. This does not excuse the fact or make it any less serious.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM

132 posts, read 292,936 times
Default Zach sowers.

He came home to walk his pug. It was 2am or so and his girlfriend / wife was out of town. I only remember this because I was living 4 blocks away and I had wanted a pug at the time. (This is what the paper reported anyways- I didn't know him personally ) But you are correct he was out in Canton that night. And it was a horrible crime.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,044 times
The White Marsh area was my fav area to live in. I found it safe and quiet. I moved from PA to Baltimore a couple years ago and just recently moved back to PA. I wouldn't recommend working at the Bayview hospital..from what I've experienced and heard I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to that hospital to get treated. Your best bet is to live around the White Marsh area, Bel air, surrounding areas. I would stay away from areas like Essex, Dundalk, and living near Bayview.
Best of luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyger13 View Post
The White Marsh area was my fav area to live in. I found it safe and quiet. I moved from PA to Baltimore a couple years ago and just recently moved back to PA. I wouldn't recommend working at the Bayview hospital..from what I've experienced and heard I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to that hospital to get treated. Your best bet is to live around the White Marsh area, Bel air, surrounding areas. I would stay away from areas like Essex, Dundalk, and living near Bayview.
Best of luck!
I worked at Bayview. Not bad....there are worse medical facilities to work at, like St. Agnes! The nursing staff and the ER are really good at Bayview. Love the burn center crew, too. Hopkins main campus is a way better working environment.

If the OP is too afraid to live in the city, you may be right to advise the White Marsh area. Some folks just don't have the character to deal with city living.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM

113 posts, read 337,165 times
This person said it best. Moved here from the philly area and i couldn't do baltimore, even mt vernon. I find the perry hall area best. There's so much traffic on the other side of town and there are many ways to get into the city. My friend worked at JHU and she lived in perry hall till she moved out of state. Bel air is going to far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyger13 View Post
Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Hmmm? I thought you moved to Vermont. That's where Burlington is, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore