Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 23,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im going to be moving to Baltimore to work at Hopkins (both main campus and bayview) soon. Looking for somewhere really boring to live with not much going on at night and very little crime.
Ideally somewhere close to the hospital(s) or at least along the hopkins shuttle route.

Price is not a major issue (anything up to $2500 a month would be reasonable) but only looking to rent at this point.

It will just be me and my significant other moving. No kids, no pets. We will have a car so proximity to restaurants or grocery stores is not high on the priority list.

Any suggestions? Will I be better off finding a place in the burbs along the MARC line and commuting?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 PM

26 posts, read 56,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezwho View Post
Hi,
Im going to be moving to Baltimore to work at Hopkins (both main campus and bayview) soon. Looking for somewhere really boring to live with not much going on at night and very little crime.
Ideally somewhere close to the hospital(s) or at least along the hopkins shuttle route.

Price is not a major issue (anything up to $2500 a month would be reasonable) but only looking to rent at this point.

It will just be me and my significant other moving. No kids, no pets. We will have a car so proximity to restaurants or grocery stores is not high on the priority list.

Any suggestions? Will I be better off finding a place in the burbs along the MARC line and commuting?

Thanks
I feel as though Locust Point is both the quietest & safest place in Baltimore.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezwho View Post
Hi,

Thanks
When you find that, let me know. Hopkins is in the hood. So, if you want close to Hopkins- well you get the idea. Anything close to Hopkins isn't going to be quiet either. You'll have the ghetto bird overhead, sirens and you'll wish you didn't have a car. Since you have a car, you might as well go out to the burbs. Anne Arundel County has some great neighborhoods right off major roads into Baltimore. Look at Severna Park, Arnold. The commute into Baltimore is not bad in the morning. Everyone is headed out of the city because with the exception of Hopkins, UMMC and the SSA, there no jobs in Baltimore. It's generally a decaying, crime ridden, barely functional city. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Since you have a car, you might as well go out to the burbs.
If you want to be in the city, look at Roland Park, Mt Washington or Ruxton. Also, Bel Air is a nice, quiet, boring suburb.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 AM

26 posts, read 56,075 times
Quote:
When you find that, let me know. Hopkins is in the hood. So, if you want close to Hopkins- well you get the idea. Anything close to Hopkins isn't going to be quiet either. You'll have the ghetto bird overhead, sirens and you'll wish you didn't have a car. Since you have a car, you might as well go out to the burbs. Anne Arundel County has some great neighborhoods right off major roads into Baltimore. Look at Severna Park, Arnold. The commute into Baltimore is not bad in the morning. Everyone is headed out of the city because with the exception of Hopkins, UMMC and the SSA, there no jobs in Baltimore. It's generally a decaying, crime ridden, barely functional city. Good luck.
I see lots and lots of people who work at Hopkins walking to work every morning. They walk from Upper Fells, Butchers Hill, & Patterson Park (& even farther probably). They are all nice, safe, & quiet neighborhoods. They're also convenient to both Hopkins campuses.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you want to be in the city, look at Roland Park, Mt Washington or Ruxton. Also, Bel Air is a nice, quiet, boring suburb.
I think it would be a bit of a pain to drive to the medical campus from up here every day though. Not to mention paying for parking. I'd stick to the safer neighborhoods that are closer to the harbor, there are certainly enough to choose from. Plus the between Hopkins shuttle and the circulator plenty of them have easy access to the campus.

Either that or live near the undergrad campus because there are constant shuttles between the two all times of day and night. So Wyman Park or Charles Village could work depending on how close it is to a shuttle stop.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Let's be realistic here. Quiet? It is a major city and quiet is not quite how I would call it. A former post incorrectly gave you the wrong information. The main campus of Hopkins is along Charles Street-certainly not the hood. There are plenty of neighborhoods north of it that are as quiet as a city can be. Look at Oakenshaw or Tuscany-Canterbury---not sure on the exact spelling. Charles Village is a nice area also which is surrounding the main campus. Parts of Hampden near the park would be quieter. The Bayview campus is also not in the "hood". It is along Eastern Avenue in the southeast quarter which is a working class neighborhood with a large Greek and Latino population although not solely that. Plenty of Hopkins employees live in Butchers Hill, Patterson Park, Upper Fells Point, and Canton all within walking distance of the large medical campus located north of them although you mentioned you will not be located there.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM

104 posts, read 252,976 times
Bolton Hill is actually a quiet neighborhood with easy parking and convenient transportation options.

Metro stop at State Center goes right to main medical campus. Hopkins shuttle stops at both Penn Station (10 minute walk) and Mt. Vernon (15 minute walk). Very easy drive along Orleans straight to main med campus, about 10 minute drive, faster once you figure out shortcuts. A bit longer to Bayview.

Neighborhood itself is quiet, boring, good mix of retirees, kids, empty nesters, gay, straight, etc. One restaurant and two small delis are only commercial places within neighborhood, but if you want bars, restaurants, movies, opera, concerts, symphony, that is all easy walk of 5-15 minutes.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,531 times
Quote:
HAHA. Are you kidin' me?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default Cheswolde

Cheswolde is the wooded, mostly single-family-home neighborhood straddling city/county line between Mount Washington and Pikesville. We see deer, rabbits and foxes almost every day from our windows.

When we moved here more than a decade ago, I told my wife we might occasionally hear klezmer music. But not even that. This place is quiet, particularly during Jewish holidays.

We have NW Citizens Patrol cars on the streets every non-Sabbath night. And bad guys seem to believe every family has UZIs in the house.

Sure, we do. Easy to use since I was trained with an AK-47.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore