Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM

32 posts, read 38,714 times

Advertisements

My situation is as follows. I moved to NoVa this past March to be closer to my immediate family and due to the abundance of job opportunities that are in the area. I work in banking so I was able to land many interviews when I moved out here and ended up getting hired by a bank that pretty much dominates the Baltimore market and is super small in DC/VA (I'll give you a hint their name is on your football stadium).

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of training in Baltimore and you know what? I am probably in the minority here but I totally dig Baltimore and the surrounding area, much more than NoVa! I've come to find that unless you make a 6 figure income you will not live a normal life and people are so much more laid back and down to earth up here as opposed to down there. Being a native Chicagoan it is easier to feel at home here since this is a more blue collar area. Now don't get me wrong there are some sketchy areas and I get that but I figured I could definitely live a much more enjoyable life out here on my 60K salary as I could in NoVa and to top it off traffic here is nothing compared to NoVa (double win!).

So here are my questions:

1) What are some good areas to look for rent in? I am a single professional in my early 30's so safety is my main concern and obviously I'd like to live somewhere that is decent.

2) What range could I expect to pay for rent in the recommended area?

Ideally the cheaper the better but I take solace in knowing that I can find something cheaper than 1,000 a month for a 1bedroom apt. Also, whatever advice you may have would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,822 times
You are not in the minority, many people hate NoVa. I respect the massive economy they have which is all thanks to them have a much better government for business than Maryland, but it is certainly suburbia gone crazy.

Having sent some time in Chicago, I think there are many similarities between the two cities mostly that many of the northside neighborhoods have a very similar feeling to the nice parts of Baltimore.

I would check out Federal Hill/Locust Point (would need to get a roommate to meet budget) Fells Point, Canton (would need to get a roommate to meet budget), Ridgely's Delight, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, Butchers Hill, Patterson Park, Charles Village, and Hampden and see which you are vibing the most.

If you really like Canton but want cheaper, Upper Fells, Greektown, Patterson Park and Highlandtown could be an option. If you really like Hampden but want to spend less, Remington and Medfield could be an option. If you like Mt. Vernon but want cheaper, check the Seton Hill area.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 38,714 times
Thanks Klynch. What suburban areas might I also want to look at? I've been staying in the Arundel Mills (when I come up for training as opposed to driving up from NoVa at 4am LOL) area which isn't bad but someone told me I should look at the Owings Mill area? I'm open to all suggestions since if I do make ask for a transfer up here I've been told that I'm better off working in a suburban location as opposed to a down town Baltimore branch since there are more sales opportunities in the burbs. At the end of the day affordability (no roommates) and safety are important to me. It would be nice to live close to people my age as well since I'm single and have no social circle yet.

Last edited by Wsox83; 09-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Added a few things

Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM

225 posts, read 428,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsox83 View Post
Thanks Klynch. What suburban areas might I also want to look at? I've been staying in the Arundel Mills (when I come up for training as opposed to driving up from NoVa at 4am LOL) area which isn't bad but someone told me I should look at the Owings Mill area? I'm open to all suggestions since if I do make ask for a transfer up here I've been told that I'm better off working in a suburban location as opposed to a down town Baltimore branch since there are more sales opportunities in the burbs. At the end of the day affordability (no roommates) and safety are important to me. It would be nice to live close to people my age as well since I'm single and have no social circle yet.

If there are branches all over Baltimore that you can choose from, I'd check out places like Mt. Washington, Roland Park (yes there are rentals), etc in the North. To give you a rough area, north of Hopkins is good all the way up, and the further north you go from there, the further East/West is also "good".

Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,822 times
I think the last place you want to be in the Baltimore area being single and looking to meet people is the suburbs. We really don't have any suburbs that are very social for singles, they very family oriented, some are kind of rough.

Check out Upper Fells/Butchers Hill, there are a lot of one bedroom apartments in large rowhomes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore