Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

Stop hating on UMBC because of Dr. Freeman H. leadership! You hate Black people don't you??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
Also heard "U Must Be Crazy" and "University of Baltimore, Behind Catonsville"... heh.

I would recommend looking at the US News rankings. They aren't the end-all-be-all, but they should give you an idea. If a school is not ranked, it's bad & you should not go there, frankly.

A second, and very important consideration, is what KIND of research you want to do. I would look up the profiles of all the faculty at the institutes in question and see if you like what they do, because you will wind up working with one of them. You should also talk to them directly, and try to find out what funding is like, what the job market is like after graduation.

I know you think you like Baltimore, but if you are serious about your education, you should be applying nationwide (or even world-wide) and trying to get the best place you can.

Biology is a *tough* field if you want to stay in academia, also. That's why I'd recommend finding a messageboard for biology grad sutdents and post-docs and asking questions. You should know these things going in, because grad school is a long slog of hard work and low pay. (I say this as a PhD Scientist).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM

225 posts, read 429,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Stop hating on UMBC because of Dr. Freeman H. leadership! You hate Black people don't you??!!
Is this a joke? Read my earlier post, I said UMBC is a fine option. I have a lot of respect for the school considering it has a pretty good graduation rate for schools of it's level, and a FANTASTIC graduation rate if you compare it to other schools with significant minority populations. And I also mentioned that it's going up in the rankings and that is certainly due to the leadership of their very good president.

Seriously man: reading comprehension is your friend.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
emmiesix, don't worry about this guy, one of the board's trolls.

UMBC is climbing in the standings. I have a buddy there in some type of modeling research relating to geology, big project. They have a few things going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore