Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 PM

20 posts, read 65,383 times

Advertisements

I checked out the place in question (26th and N Calvert) today and was really pleased with the roommates and the house itself. Like Baltplanner said, the neighborhoods can shift dramatically, and this is no exception. The woman who showed me around the house confirmed that things get dicier below 25th. She mentioned a methadone clinic, which concerns me. Anybody know where that is? She said that she hasn't seen any crime in the area, though, and she doesn't drive so she clearly feels comfortable walking and biking in the area. It's one block from St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM

219 posts, read 405,838 times
Methadone clinics don't tend to advertise to the public so they can be really difficult to pinpoint. There are a few medical offices a couple blocks away that could be providing addiction services. I work near a methadone clinic and can say honestly heroin addicts are not that intimidating. They're pretty zoned out, they move slowly, they fall asleep in public without any warning and they're not prone to violent crime...they do however looovvvvee burglarizing cars to get quick cash (you seldom hear of them committing armed robberies- its just not there style). Between 28th and University Parkway is probably prime charles village- but if you have a good feeling about the house then you're not in a terrible spot. You can walk to the safeway and the CVS from there which is pretty convenient. However, you're pretty far walk from a lot of the bars and cool restaurants. As I'm sure you learned in college- a good roommate situation can make a world of difference. Trust your instincts.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
I would not feel uncomfortable at Calvert and 26th. I have a buddy on the 2700 block of Calvert, been there for years, plenty quiet. Other friends at 25th and Maryland were broken into once when they were out of town, but their place was not secured as well at that time. Easy parking is a real plus.

Commuting at 11 AM or 8 PM will not be as bad as during rush hour. I can make Towson from Station North area in 30 minutes or less up 83.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezliz View Post
I checked out the place in question (26th and N Calvert) today and was really pleased with the roommates and the house itself. Like Baltplanner said, the neighborhoods can shift dramatically, and this is no exception. The woman who showed me around the house confirmed that things get dicier below 25th. She mentioned a methadone clinic, which concerns me. Anybody know where that is? She said that she hasn't seen any crime in the area, though, and she doesn't drive so she clearly feels comfortable walking and biking in the area. It's one block from St. Paul.
The methadone clinic is on Maryland Ave....closer to North Avenue. If you were renting on that block, I would agree about not being uncomfortable. I like to go for drinks at IBar once in awhile and it's across the street from the clinic. The "zombies" pretty much line up early in the morning then scatter. There's methadone clinics all over the city - the one in Hampden seems to get more attention due to the complaints from new Hampdenites. I would be cool on 26th/N Calvert, but it would really depend on the roommates. You are near a grocery store, and close to 83 which is ideal.

Honestly, things in that neighborhood could change for the better or worse once the Walmart gets thrown in. It may attract more crime, but we have yet to see.

Look for a place further into North Baltimore if the roommates are sketchy, other wise - if the rent is cheap and you like the apartment, grab it.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
The methadone clinic is seven blocks from your prospective living quarters. To me that is the least of your concerns; I wouldn't even give it a thought. I know the area as I used to frequent a couple of Korean restaurants nearby. Lots of good food for the money.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 65,383 times
Thanks guys! I'm waiting to hear back from the people living in that house. There was a fair amount of competition for that room. If they choose me I think I'll take it. I also heard from an old acquaintance who is currently living in Fells Point (St. Ann, I think, about 2 blocks from the water) who has a room opening up in January. $630 a month and utilities "under $100" on average. She said it's a great deal for the area and that she did some negotiating to get it down to that price. Is that lower than average for that area?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezliz View Post
Thanks guys! I'm waiting to hear back from the people living in that house. There was a fair amount of competition for that room. If they choose me I think I'll take it. I also heard from an old acquaintance who is currently living in Fells Point (St. Ann, I think, about 2 blocks from the water) who has a room opening up in January. $630 a month and utilities "under $100" on average. She said it's a great deal for the area and that she did some negotiating to get it down to that price. Is that lower than average for that area?
That's reasonable....it would be cool if parking was included.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,906 times
You should listen to your parents. they seems to know alot more than you do about baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: