Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 PM

453 posts, read 631,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacksb View Post
The Wire is based on Baltimore's criminal world. The creator, David Simon, had in depth knowledge of the issues because he worked for the Baltimore Sun for 12 years reporting on the very crimes shown in the series. After living in the city for 5 years and having been involved in community development and working with various city agencies, I can say many of the same issues still exist.
I'm aware of all that, but I've also seen the show and from what I can tell, it really ISN'T meant to convey that every single portion of the city and county is like that.

As you said, the criminal world. Not the entirety of the city or area.

There is a criminal world in Cleveland too, and in every city. That doesn't mean the entirety of every city is made up of criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
David Simon is not from Baltimore.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:35 PM

"I have to say that alot of newcomers (the people I spend most of my time with) are unimpressed by what they see as the generally inconsiderate, boorish behavior of a lot of the "blue collar locals".

**I'm a native and find have ALWAYS found this behavior boring, antiquated and backwards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
I have to say that alot of newcomers (the people I spend most of my time with) are unimpressed by what they see as the generally inconsiderate, boorish behavior of a lot of the "blue collar locals". Littering, public intoxication, not saying please and thank you, not bothering to take care of your property, swearing around children, and generally being inconsiderate of how your behavior impacts other people around you are all low class traits and do nothing to create a more positive living environment.

Its easy to see why alot of new people isolate themselves to parts of the city where this behavior is less common- it just makes for a better quality of life.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Trying to raise the social, cultural and intellectual frequency of a city's people is hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"I have to say that alot of newcomers (the people I spend most of my time with) are unimpressed by what they see as the generally inconsiderate, boorish behavior of a lot of the "blue collar locals".

**I'm a native and find have ALWAYS found this behavior boring, antiquated and backwards!!

The problem is when this type of behavior is viewed as the "norm" and thus no one sees a problem with it.. until someone with a different set of norms moves in.. Then there is a class of norms for a while until either the new person moves out or enough new people move in to establish new norms.. This is what happens in most gentrifying neighborhoods in Baltimore.. which for the most part.. are mostly blue collar white neighborhoods becoming upper income and young urban professional (and still mostly) white. Patterson Park, Canton, Remington, Hamden.. to name a few....I have a friend that lives in Barclay and the neighborhoods is having an influx of new young residents moving in because of it being an affordable alternative to Charles Village. On their block is a local drug house.. not on the level of Avon Barksdale.. but the type of drug house where the adult kids of the residents sell weed.. but they still have a regular job at a carwash or some other place. They sell and use out of the same location.. Because its so Low Scale.. the cops generally dont care. The funny thing about drugs is.. that even low scale drug activity evenutally brings additional crime and potentially more violence..either from disputes among users or rival dealers....In this particuliar case.. it was the later... and a rival shot someone off of the stoop at this particuliar house who wasnt the intended target nor did these residents even think that they were being "targeted" by someone.. which in this case were dealers on Greenmount who just didnt like the idea of any illegal commerce happening in their area that they didnt have control over... no matter how low scale....

My thing is this.. If you are going to be a drug dealer... why would you set up operations inside of your home especially if it is in a decent block or neighborhood and endanger your family???? Wouldnt it make sense for you to go somewhere else and screw up someone else's hood then come back to yours where its peaceful and quiet??? THis is how I knew the guys were small time idiots.... I have had folks who live in very nice neighborhoods discover that their neighbor was a noted drug dealer because he acted just like everyone else (the norm).. They had no clue that the guy was even a drug dealer because he didnt deal drugs out of his home but at a "stash house" in the middle of another hood all the way in West Balitmore..It wasnt until his house was raided and he was carted off did the full story come out.

.....These idiots in Barclay.. were not even big time but the fact that they were operating in what someone else considered to be their territory..they were swept away into the dustbin of street violence and took their likely unsuspecting family with them.... (Disclaimer: I dont advocate drug dealing period.. it just amazes me how some of these guys think and operate)

Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,185 times
How are the city programs by offering people grants to renovate homes coming along? Any success? I saw Reservoir Hill on the list which is not a bad option.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:20 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
I'm aware of all that, but I've also seen the show and from what I can tell, it really ISN'T meant to convey that every single portion of the city and county is like that.

As you said, the criminal world. Not the entirety of the city or area.

There is a criminal world in Cleveland too, and in every city. That doesn't mean the entirety of every city is made up of criminals.
Yeah but Baltimore City has skewed its criminal statistics for years. Everybody on the block knows there has been more than 230 homicides and much more shootings. This isn't a d!ck measuring contest but robberies and burglaries occur everyday in these "nicer" neighborhoods. In other states, one robbery would make the front page. The Wire was much more realistic in the early 2000's and 1990's when the Cops had no clue how to police its city . Second that, they still don't know what to do and they care less. Which is why 85% of the police force lives in the county. There's a reason why cops with firearms won't raise their families here. What is Cleveland's police like?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM

453 posts, read 631,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Yeah but Baltimore City has skewed its criminal statistics for years. Everybody on the block knows there has been more than 230 homicides and much more shootings. This isn't a d!ck measuring contest but robberies and burglaries occur everyday in these "nicer" neighborhoods. In other states, one robbery would make the front page. The Wire was much more realistic in the early 2000's and 1990's when the Cops had no clue how to police its city . Second that, they still don't know what to do and they care less. Which is why 85% of the police force lives in the county. There's a reason why cops with firearms won't raise their families here. What is Cleveland's police like?
Cleveland's police force is understaffed, I know that much. Underpaid, too. Competent, most of them, but there are bad apples.

There are areas of Cleveland where I just don't go due to the crime rate. Then again, I've lived in one of the inner-ring suburbs for most of my time here. It's fairly safe and quiet, but there was a murder in my neighborhood a few years ago. I knew the victim, though not well. And in one of the outlying suburbs last year, someone I knew murdered his wife in front of their child. So things happen everywhere. Hell, I spent a few months living within about a mile and a half from the house where those three young women were held in captivity for ten years. Creepy, right? I used to drive through that neighborhood.

There's no utopia, and if there were, few of us could probably afford to live there.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Cleveland's police force is understaffed, I know that much. Underpaid, too. Competent, most of them, but there are bad apples.

There are areas of Cleveland where I just don't go due to the crime rate. Then again, I've lived in one of the inner-ring suburbs for most of my time here. It's fairly safe and quiet, but there was a murder in my neighborhood a few years ago. I knew the victim, though not well. And in one of the outlying suburbs last year, someone I knew murdered his wife in front of their child. So things happen everywhere. Hell, I spent a few months living within about a mile and a half from the house where those three young women were held in captivity for ten years. Creepy, right? I used to drive through that neighborhood.

There's no utopia, and if there were, few of us could probably afford to live there.

For those of us not familiar with the geography of the City... What are the "good" or "bad" areas.. are they east, west, south of downtown... and what are their names.. I did a Google visit to Cleveland to find the house in the Christmas Story TV Movie (Classic).. seemed like a decent block.. but the surrounding area seemed sketchy.. Dont know if that is accurate.. seemed like the SEish side of town....? Other neighborhoods like Ohio City seem nice....and some of the smaller trolley car cities to the east as well...along the Light Rail.

Back in the 80s Cleveland was the butt of many comedic jokes much the way Detriot is now..... especially from the likes of Eddie Murphy.. not sure what he had against Cleveland... didnt the river there catch on fire from the pollution back then?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM

252 posts, read 425,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
didnt the river there catch on fire from the pollution back then?
At least 13 times actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: