Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM

95 posts, read 170,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I've been in the area once but I did not like it. Baltimore property taxes are really high. Do you think that you will be able to recoup your cost in 5 years?
I had a friend who thought the same way, so he bought a house in Howard County 7 years ago. He's been trying to sell his house for the past 3 years with no luck. Meanwhile we bought our house the same time he did at the height of the housing boom, and just got it appraised for $90,000 more than what we paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM

225 posts, read 428,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The generally poor construction quality of the houses...
and especially as compared to what is available in other city neighborhoods.

You can get above Roland or past 41st St and it's better...
but then that isn't really Hampden anymore.
Ah quality is possibly an issue, that I could see. I did go check out a beautifully done rowhouse on Hickory, just north of the Avenue, that retained a lot of the original flooring and masonry, and it was quite nice. But I think that was on the upper end of quality available (full brick front with 3 windows, not 2), and the bedrooms were still unbelievably small.

On the other hand, I have seen what modern home-building is and I have a hard time believing anything in Hampden can be worse than the standards we build to now (my European husband calls them paper houses). Anyway, that's a digression...

Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
I had a friend who thought the same way, so he bought a house in Howard County 7 years ago. He's been trying to sell his house for the past 3 years with no luck. Meanwhile we bought our house the same time he did at the height of the housing boom, and just got it appraised for $90,000 more than what we paid for it.
Interesting. Congrats on the equity. Are homes selling for that price in your area?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 PM

132 posts, read 292,875 times
Default Equity

We looked at buying a condo in pikesville- then my husband twisted my arm and we ended up in a rowhouse in fed hill. Both properties were roughly the same price ( the condo was a little more but taxes were less so the monthly payment was the same)

Those condos in pikesville are $100,000 underwater now and our federal hill home appreciated (according to our appraisal) $35000 in 4 years. That is one hellva swing in equity. Now if we had only picked the house with parking.......

Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Congrats on the equity. Are homes selling for that price in your area?
According to our real estate agent, they are. We're looking to sell next year, and she thinks we'll sell fast and get even more equity depending on whether we add some more amenities. The neighborhood is hot right now. There was an article in the Baltimore Sun saying Hampden houses were supposed to appreciate the most in 2013 in the entire Baltimore metro area.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L in sobo View Post
We looked at buying a condo in pikesville- then my husband twisted my arm and we ended up in a rowhouse in fed hill. Both properties were roughly the same price ( the condo was a little more but taxes were less so the monthly payment was the same)

Those condos in pikesville are $100,000 underwater now and our federal hill home appreciated (according to our appraisal) $35000 in 4 years. That is one hellva swing in equity. Now if we had only picked the house with parking.......
Good for you! It is all about supply and demand.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
According to our real estate agent, they are. We're looking to sell next year, and she thinks we'll sell fast and get even more equity depending on whether we add some more amenities. The neighborhood is hot right now. There was an article in the Baltimore Sun saying Hampden houses were supposed to appreciate the most in 2013 in the entire Baltimore metro area.
Awesome! Are you going to remain in Baltimore?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Are you going to remain in Baltimore?
We moved last year. We already sold one of our properties last year for less than what it was worth at the height of the boom, but sold it in 10 days. Our realtor said it would have gone for much more this year.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 AM

10 posts, read 27,544 times
Would you say there is a bad part of Hampden? Im looking at some homes west of Falls Road? This side of Hampden seems to be more affordable, any reason for that?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripurface View Post
Would you say there is a bad part of Hampden? Im looking at some homes west of Falls Road? This side of Hampden seems to be more affordable, any reason for that?
I think the prices are lower because of the location. I would try to buy closer to the Ave. That area is similar to Remington's demographics. Are you looking at Medfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore