Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times

Advertisements

Where are your restaurants, social, cultural and intellectual infrastructures??! Where are your progressive theaters, clubs and upwardly-forward thinking institutions? Where are your schools?!! Where are your scientists and engineers who need to design and help build a better life for your youth? Smh!!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-07-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Where are your restaurants, social, cultural and intellectual infrastructures??! Where are your progressive theaters, clubs and upwardly-forward thinking institutions? Where are your schools (the jews have their own schools and teach their children, so where are yours?)?!! Where are your scientists and engineers who need to design and help build a better life for your youth? Smh!!
Interesting Question.. My take on it is..there are plenty of the things you mentioned in the African American community here in Baltimore. From Churches, to trade organizations, to fraternal/sororities, Masonic groups, and various social organizations. Restaurant/Bars..though maybe not as plentiful.. still exist. If you start peeling back the onion you will realize that the African American community in Baltimore and elsewhere is not a monolithic community.. though many non blacks feel that Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson etc are 'Lords of the Black People'. You will find that though many may relate to the issues that they champion.. many many more dont necessarily agree with their tactics/methods because they are often self serving. Just as the election of President Obama didnt magically make "black on black" crime and other social issues go away as some people may have thought...

During Segregation..it was more so out of necessity...Black Businesses, Black organizations etc existed in great numbers because they were not welcome anywhere else. Upper Middle and Lower Income Blacks were regulated via zoning, redlining and racial covenants to the certain communities which added to their social and economic diversity. Schools like Howard, Morgan, and Coppin thrived during that same time frame..now they struggle to keep up there own enrollment as African American students and Athletes go to the larger formerly "whites only" institutions. There are divergent interests that have decentralized African American interests that began with desegregation and the resulting with Black Flight from the inner city by middle and upper income blacks and the breaking down of racial restrictions.

There has been more intergration of Black now African American culture into what is now considered simply "American Culture" from Soul Food, to Music, Entertainment, etc so the silos of what was considered solely a "black interest" has been eroded. African American Architects are now likely to be just as active in the American Institute of Architects (AIA) as they would be National Organization of Minority Architects( NOMA) and related professional organizations..which before they were excluded... They can be more effective at advancing their interest in these national organizations on a broader scale as opposed to a 'mostly black' trade organization...which has caused their numbers to drop in certain sectors. Others may get involved in their suburban HOA or the local PTA or athletic league in the suburbs near where they live and that tend to be more diverse as opposed the inner city Boys and Girls Club where some have grown up/and or still have family ties...not to mention many Gen X African Americans have grown up in middle income diverse suburbs and therefore have similiar interest as their white counterparts. Interacial and blended marriages further expands the concept of what one considers to be their community and what it means to be "black" or anything else....depending on the race or ethnicity of the spouse and the new adopted cultural heritage.

I believe the jewish community has been more cohesive because they have made a concerted effort and has CHOOSEN to hold those institutions together because of religious reasons.. which makes it easier to do so.. African Americans.. are Christian, Muslim, Athiest, etc etc etc and all the subsets and the diversity found within these groups rituals/practices are being observed by their African Americans members again leading to varying beliefs among African Americans and approaches to governing ones life...

I think to expect that the problems with dealing with crime, poverty, etc in Baltimore is the issue of the race that is being most adversely impacted and that they should DO something about it ...is the wrong approach..nor will it work because of what I have just posted about the African American Community not being a "monolith". As City residents we need to view it as a "City Problem" and anyone who has an interest in working to address it should step forward and work for change regardless of what race the people are that are affected...since we are all impacted in one way or another.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-31-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Your input is more that 2 cents bro!!! Way more like a $2k..! Thanks for your fine perspective.

I have my own perspectives on social and economic integration how these dynamics have played within the American political and economic landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting Question.. My take on it is..there are plenty of the things you mentioned in the African American community here in Baltimore. From Churches, to trade organizations, to fraternal/sororities, Masonic groups, and various social organizations. Restaurant/Bars..though maybe not as plentiful.. still exist. If you start peeling back the onion you will realize that the African American community in Baltimore and elsewhere is not a monolithic community.. though many non blacks feel that Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson etc are 'Lords of the Black People'. You will find that though many may relate to the issues that they champion.. many many more dont necessarily agree with their tactics/methods because they are often self serving. Just as the election of President Obama didnt magically make "black on black" crime and other social issues go away as some people may have thought...

During Segregation..it was more so out of necessity...Black Businesses, Black organizations etc existed in great numbers because they were not welcome anywhere else. Upper Middle and Lower Income Blacks were regulated via zoning, redlining and racial covenants to the certain communities which added to their social and economic diversity. Schools like Howard, Morgan, and Coppin thrived during that same time frame..now they struggle to keep up there own enrollment as African American students and Athletes go to the larger formerly "whites only" institutions. There are divergent interests that have decentralized African American interests that began with desegregation and the resulting with Black Flight from the inner city by middle and upper income blacks and the breaking down of racial restrictions.

There has been more intergration of Black now African American culture into what is now considered simply "American Culture" from Soul Food, to Music, Entertainment, etc so the silos of what was considered solely a "black interest" has been eroded. African American Architects are now likely to be just as active in the American Institute of Architects (AIA) as they would be National Organization of Minority Architects( NOMA) and related professional organizations..which before they were excluded... They can be more effective at advancing their interest in these national organizations on a broader scale as opposed to a 'mostly black' trade organization...which has caused their numbers to drop in certain sectors. Others may get involved in their suburban HOA or the local PTA or athletic league in the suburbs near where they live and that tend to be more diverse as opposed the inner city Boys and Girls Club where some have grown up/and or still have family ties...not to mention many Gen X African Americans have grown up in middle income diverse suburbs and therefore have similiar interest as their white counterparts. Interacial and blended marriages further expands the concept of what one considers to be their community and what it means to be "black" or anything else....depending on the race or ethnicity of the spouse and the new adopted cultural heritage.

I believe the jewish community has been more cohesive because they have made a concerted effort and has CHOOSEN to hold those institutions together because of religious reasons.. which makes it easier to do so.. African Americans.. are Christian, Muslim, Athiest, etc etc etc and all the subsets and the diversity found within these groups rituals/practices are being observed by their African Americans members again leading to varying beliefs among African Americans and approaches to governing ones life...

I think to expect that the problems with dealing with crime, poverty, etc in Baltimore is the issue of the race that is being most adversely impacted and that they should DO something about it ...is the wrong approach..nor will it work because of what I have just posted about the African American Community not being a "monolith". As City residents we need to view it as a "City Problem" and anyone who has an interest in working to address it should step forward and work for change regardless of what race the people are that are affected...since we are all impacted in one way or another.

Just my 2 cents

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM

"If you start peeling back the onion you will realize that the African American community in Baltimore and elsewhere is not a monolithic community.."

*Man, we've never been monolithic as a people!! We have always been fluid, polyethnic and multi-dimensional people, just like European Americans.

*Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton is a topic for a whole other discussion!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 AM

"During Segregation..it was more so out of necessity...Black Businesses, Black organizations etc existed in great numbers because they were not welcome anywhere else. Upper Middle and Lower Income Blacks were regulated via zoning, redlining and racial covenants to the certain communities which added to their social and economic diversity. Schools like Howard, Morgan, and Coppin thrived during that same time frame..now they struggle to keep up there own enrollment as African American students and Athletes go to the larger formerly "whites only" institutions. There are divergent interests that have decentralized African American interests that began with desegregation and the resulting with Black Flight from the inner city by middle and upper income blacks and the breaking down of racial restrictions."

**Many scholars would express a contentious view, that when segregation was dismantled (at least on the books), many Blacks started to dismantle their institutions for whitey stuff and institutions. They sold off their businesses, their houses, land, and little resources they accumulated; moved out to the vanilla suburbs and try to assimilate into white culture. That was a very grave mistake!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,003 times
Quote:
"During Segregation..it was more so out of necessity...Black Businesses, Black organizations etc existed in great numbers because they were not welcome anywhere else. Upper Middle and Lower Income Blacks were regulated via zoning, redlining and racial covenants to the certain communities which added to their social and economic diversity. Schools like Howard, Morgan, and Coppin thrived during that same time frame..now they struggle to keep up there own enrollment as African American students and Athletes go to the larger formerly "whites only" institutions. There are divergent interests that have decentralized African American interests that began with desegregation and the resulting with Black Flight from the inner city by middle and upper income blacks and the breaking down of racial restrictions."

**Many scholars would express a contentious view, that when segregation was dismantled (at least on the books), many Blacks started to dismantle their institutions for whitey stuff and institutions. They sold off their businesses, their houses, land, and little resources they accumulated; moved out to the vanilla suburbs and try to assimilate into white culture. That was a very grave mistake!!!
Unless someone holds themself out as different, I consider them an American first. This is a diverse country, but we all have similar needs and desires. Class division is the larger issue these days. We Americans are more alike than different.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,474 times
Quote:
Where are your restaurants, social, cultural and intellectual infrastructures??! Where are your progressive theaters, clubs and upwardly-forward thinking institutions? Where are your schools (the jews have their own schools and teach their children, so where are yours?)?!! Where are your scientists and engineers who need to design and help build a better life for your youth? Smh!!
Not really getting the point of this thread. Are you subtly trying to make a point by posing questions which assume their own answer? I'm doubting you really want an answer so much as you want to passively make some kind of a point. In this age of internet, most, if not all, of these questions would be answered quickly via Google.

Quote:
"If you start peeling back the onion you will realize that the African American community in Baltimore and elsewhere is not a monolithic community.."

*Man, we've never been monolithic as a people!! We have always been fluid, polyethnic and multi-dimensional people, just like European Americans.

*Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton is a topic for a whole other discussion!!!
I beg to differ. The overwhelming majority of blacks seem to be monolithic thinkers, at least as it pertains to religion, political, and social issues. The disclaimer here is that I am, in fact, black. I can't recall the amount of times I've been called a sellout or Uncle Tom for championing the same "personal responsibillity" campaign that Bill Cosby, Don Lemon, and the like, have preached. Thank God I'm not Republican; I'd be crucified by now. Many more times I've encountered disappointment at the fact that I am black and agnostic, not Christian, as most of my fellow African American peers are. My objectivity towards gays also gives me just about the same disappointed response from most AA's I encounter with those opinions.

We have a number of people who don't follow these common trends of thinking, but certainly not enough, and not nearly enough to thwart the claim that most of us are, at least, monolothic in our reasoning toward those aforementioned topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: