U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,111 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Middle River for work and I'm considering a job in Ellicott city. How far is the drive in between during rush hour and are there any communities between Ellicott city and Middle River where we could both have a reasonable commute? We're looking to spend around $200,000 for a home, but would perfer not to have a condo or townhouse since we have 2 large dogs and require a fenced back yard. Any help would be appreciated since we're not familiar with the area. thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,678,038 times
Middle River is on the southeast side of Baltimore and Ellicott City is on the southwest side of Baltimore. I have three dogs and live in the Patterson Park area of Baltimore City. Unfortunately, 200 grand isn't going to get you much, especially if you don't want a townhouse which is basically most of Baltimore and its inner suburbs. Your chances would be better toward the Middle River area. I think Ellicott City is pretty expensive. That is if you don't want to rehab in Baltimore. The Highlandtown area is a possibility. It is relatively safe and right on the perimeter of positive change.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:57 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,314,250 times
Default Worth a search

There is a lot of revitalization going on in the east end of Baltimore County, which boomed during World War II but then declined after defense industries cut back and manufacturing in general disappeared. Because lots of Appalachians moved there nearly 70 years ago -- yes, we are talking about the runup to the war -- lots of Baltimoreans still see a real class difference between the east end and the rest of the beltway communities. For a person who can overcome bigotry toward the working stiff this presents terrific opportunities. The area is gentrifying some. Waterfront property has gone through the roof but there are some gems inland.
I have no idea as to what specifically is available and where but I would think that you should be able to get an older fixer-upper in live-in condition in certain areas of Middle River/Rosedale/Philadelphia Road area. Another possibility is Dundalk where the population is aging in places like Graceland Park.
If you go to realtor.com, you can do searches according to zip codes. I don't have zip codes for those areas handy, but perhaps someone else has.
Good luck.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 23,511 times
Have you looked down near Governor Ritchie Highway. A friend brought a nice rancher in that price range I will find out the development and get back to you. It is some where near David's Bridal. But you can look up Phil Cross at Remax he can help you out. He is good at finding you what your looking for. Tell him the Diva sent ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore