Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 AM

219 posts, read 403,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I'll take a stab at #2 -
Moving to opportunity doesn't have a significant impact on the culture of poverty. Here's a fun read from The Atlantic in 2008:
American Murder Mystery - Hanna Rosin - The Atlantic

Seriously, excellent article! I encourage everyone to read it. Definitely and eye-opener for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times
That is not an analysis of Baltimore City politics! Smh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Excellent analysis of Baltimore City politics! Also, I completely agree that any new/ replacement low income housing units should be included in mixed income developments vs. all low income developments which only concentrate poverty and social problems.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
I don't know about the wheels and deals from privite and gov. Organizations ....... but I grew up there just after the war ( WW2 ) and lived in the Perkins projects ( Spring Court ) . Last week I went back for a viist and was pleasantly surprised how neat and clean it was . I woult have loved to look inside our old apartment . The folks there probably thought I was a cop , ha ha . The bottom line is that that area is very valuable , so hungry eyes are checking it out. But as always what about the people .the top priority should be the people of Baltimore , all the people m.G.b. Tom Shelley

Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 PM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgshelleyy View Post
I don't know about the wheels and deals from privite and gov. Organizations ....... but I grew up there just after the war ( WW2 ) and lived in the Perkins projects ( Spring Court ) . Last week I went back for a viist and was pleasantly surprised how neat and clean it was . I woult have loved to look inside our old apartment . The folks there probably thought I was a cop , ha ha . The bottom line is that that area is very valuable , so hungry eyes are checking it out. But as always what about the people .the top priority should be the people of Baltimore , all the people m.G.b. Tom Shelley

It wouldnt surprise me if the Housing Authority is either slowly downsizing that complex or screening it to make sure their best tenants go in there.. Because of its location... it is probably being heavily scruitinized and there the drum beat for redevelopent would beat louder if it is a bastion of crime and criminal mischief.. By holding off for a few more years the Housing Authority will get top dollar so it pays to wait.. and while they wait they will make sure that the complex stays presentable and is not a blight on the surrounding slowly gentrifying areas...

Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,076,032 times
Believe It or not, I have been to Perkins Homes many of times. I mentor a child that lives in Perkins Homes. Before we get ahead of ourselves, lets not forget that these are people who have everyday lives. Planning to remove them from these projects could potentially disrupt and displace their lives. That being said, of course in theory it would be great to remove these projects and replace them with more overpriced apartments. But how much money will it cost to remove everybody from their apartments? They have no money so it is going to cost somebody. Now of course, the theory of building nice apartments for Perkins residence is the golden dollar question, will they appreciate it and take care of it or will it fall to shambles? Treating people like they are not good enough for an area continues the Baltimore black vs white struggle.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,498,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Believe It or not, I have been to Perkins Homes many of times. I mentor a child that lives in Perkins Homes. Before we get ahead of ourselves, lets not forget that these are people who have everyday lives. Planning to remove them from these projects could potentially disrupt and displace their lives. That being said, of course in theory it would be great to remove these projects and replace them with more overpriced apartments. But how much money will it cost to remove everybody from their apartments? They have no money so it is going to cost somebody. Now of course, the theory of building nice apartments for Perkins residence is the golden dollar question, will they appreciate it and take care of it or will it fall to shambles? Treating people like they are not good enough for an area continues the Baltimore black vs white struggle.
I partially agree with you. But one thing that you need to remember is that these buildings won't last forever. If money is going to need to be invested, there is probably a better plan than to attempt to leave Perkins Homes frozen in time. Ultimately, there is room for the current residents at double or more the density and something else on the rest of the land. Better yet, a project, like one planned for the UMB Biopark area, could combine market rate and affordable units. It is hard to drive through there and not believe that there is room for improvement.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I partially agree with you. But one thing that you need to remember is that these buildings won't last forever. If money is going to need to be invested, there is probably a better plan than to attempt to leave Perkins Homes frozen in time. Ultimately, there is room for the current residents at double or more the density and something else on the rest of the land. Better yet, a project, like one planned for the UMB Biopark area, could combine market rate and affordable units. It is hard to drive through there and not believe that there is room for improvement.
It certainly is a thorn in the rose bush. Ill be curious to see what comes up. As long as the residence are okay with it, I see no problem.

FYI, Inside the apartments are up to 8 rooms.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM

759 posts, read 1,349,023 times
Mixed feelings about Perkins.
A) It is a drug and crime infested dunghole that is 60+ years old, and looks it. Many of these projects have been gotten rid of over the past 20 years, the only other one I know of remaining in that part of East Baltimore is the sprawling Latrobe/Douglass Homes project, which is equally (maybe more so) nasty.
B) Damn, that is currently some hot real estate, ripe for development in what would, almost certainly, rapidly become a trendy, upscale new neighborhood, if given the right developers and marketing. And those new residents would be paying big dollars to live there, adding to the tax base.
3) But...where are all of those folks gonna go? I know the City has spent obscenely gigantic amounts of money (in league with Hopkins) to move lots of poor folks out of long-time residences in East Baltimore, but they'd have to do this on their own, in hopes of recouping the demolition/displacement costs when the land is sold. How long would that take?
4) Finally, I live in North East, where a lot of of less than desirable individuals from more inner city locales have already been relocated by the City and Section 8. This has caused an upturn in blight, crime, and general degeneracy, while causing a downturn in property values. Not to be too Nimby, but we've had our share of that burden. We've been trying to build up our community despite the City's efforts to the contrary. So where would the residents of Perkins go?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Mixed feelings about Perkins.
A) It is a drug and crime infested dunghole that is 60+ years old, and looks it. Many of these projects have been gotten rid of over the past 20 years, the only other one I know of remaining in that part of East Baltimore is the sprawling Latrobe/Douglass Homes project, which is equally (maybe more so) nasty.
B) Damn, that is currently some hot real estate, ripe for development in what would, almost certainly, rapidly become a trendy, upscale new neighborhood, if given the right developers and marketing. And those new residents would be paying big dollars to live there, adding to the tax base.
3) But...where are all of those folks gonna go? I know the City has spent obscenely gigantic amounts of money (in league with Hopkins) to move lots of poor folks out of long-time residences in East Baltimore, but they'd have to do this on their own, in hopes of recouping the demolition/displacement costs when the land is sold. How long would that take?
4) Finally, I live in North East, where a lot of of less than desirable individuals from more inner city locales have already been relocated by the City and Section 8. This has caused an upturn in blight, crime, and general degeneracy, while causing a downturn in property values. Not to be too Nimby, but we've had our share of that burden. We've been trying to build up our community despite the City's efforts to the contrary. So where would the residents of Perkins go?
It would be interesting to see if BaltPlanner has any information to add about these interesting questions. I think you are right, they would move the projects to the North East. There is also plenty of vacants through out the city, would it be to expensive to fix up the vacants for occupation?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Maybe a good solution would be to level an area of vacants in East Baltimore, erect decent, modern subsidized housing there while turning over Perkins Homes for high tax yield development? Renovate a vacant part of Baltimore and get the increased value and revenue? I'm sure subsidized housing residents and activists for the poor will complain about any move, but it the facilites need renovation anyway, why not maximize the opportunity for the city as a whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore