Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times

Advertisements

The city of Baltimore's population is what it is, past and present. Hillbillies are very much a part of Baltimore's history like slavery and Black folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*If I was uneducated, I'd say the same thing!!
I asked you man to man to clean up your language and stop the slurs, which is how you are using the word in this conversation,

Quote:
I've been battling with this hillbillies most of my life in Maryland. They broke into my house and stole things, the name -calling, the fights, and etc... Baltimore's backwater trash of a people.

not as a reference to a historic place of origin of current residents.

I flagged the post and it is up to the mods to decide if that kind of language is acceptable on this site, or if it isn't.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Man..whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I asked you man to man to clean up your language and stop the slurs, which is how you are using the word in this conversation,

not as a reference to a historic place of origin of current residents.

I flagged the post and it is up to the mods to decide if that kind of language is acceptable on this site, or if it isn't.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
I like the idea of the city getting more residents from outside its borders and the region (like me!). Its true that Baltimore has a negative perception amongst people not from the area, but building on strong, safe, cool neighborhoods could add a second face to the city (kinda of like what Park Slope did for Brooklyn, Coral Gables did for Miami, and Center City/ Rittenhouse Square did for Philadelphia). The whole DC area is definitely getting more of a northern feel as more outsiders move in.....a definite improvement over the ghetto fabulous days of Mayor Marion Barry.

There are enough jobs and academic opportunities to attract outsiders....its just that most of them leave after a few years once all the social dysfunctions of the locals wear them down. Separating the derelict population from the more well off areas would help (I'm personally sick of running into heroin junkies as a I travel north and south between Federal Hill and Mt. Vernon).
When did you live in 'ghetto fabulous' DC during Barry's terms? I lived here most of my life and don't remember 'ghetto fabulous' days.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 AM

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha! I remember the district during his administration and I don't remember that either. I don't know where he got that from??! Must have made it up or something. But, "ghetto fabulous" means different things to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
When did you live in 'ghetto fabulous' DC during Barry's terms? I lived here most of my life and don't remember 'ghetto fabulous' days.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM

I agree about the rich historical traditions that should be held up high in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Baltimore has always been an interesting place, rich in history and tradition. One of my Baltimore ancestors (Ulster Irish by birth) was an abolitionist, and met with Frederick Douglas in the 1850's. Another witnessed first-hand the attack by Baltimorons on Massachusetts infantry as it came through in 1861 on its way to defend Washington from the Confederates.

During the second world war, the Glen L Martin complex employed 40,000 people making warplanes and other weaponry, and the Asarco plant in Canton was the largest producer of non-ferrous metal in the world. Bendix made cold-war radars. Baltimore's Western Electric made the undersea cables that connected America to Europe. We worked in all of these places. I suppose that they're all gone now. On and on . . . Interesting city.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM

In actuality, Baltimore has many southern ways. Some good, some bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Usually people from DC like to say this because the city has much northeastern influence, and they fail to recognize that. They think Baltimore is southern.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM

687 posts, read 915,456 times
If it weren't for D.C. being to the southwest of us (from most people's perspective) then Maryland would be considered more "southern".

Our liberal streak doesn't exactly help, but if you travel outside of the central, say, 20% of the state, then you'll find that it's quite rural.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
I like the idea of the city getting more residents from outside its borders and the region (like me!). Its true that Baltimore has a negative perception amongst people not from the area, but building on strong, safe, cool neighborhoods could add a second face to the city (kinda of like what Park Slope did for Brooklyn, Coral Gables did for Miami, and Center City/ Rittenhouse Square did for Philadelphia). The whole DC area is definitely getting more of a northern feel as more outsiders move in.....a definite improvement over the ghetto fabulous days of Mayor Marion Barry.

There are enough jobs and academic opportunities to attract outsiders....its just that most of them leave after a few years once all the social dysfunctions of the locals wear them down. Separating the derelict population from the more well off areas would help (I'm personally sick of running into heroin junkies as a I travel north and south between Federal Hill and Mt. Vernon).

So as an urban planner, what is your solution to the "running into heroin junkies" problem?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM

687 posts, read 915,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
So as an urban planner, what is your solution to the "running into heroin junkies" problem?
Which is why central planning never works, especially at higher levels of bureaucracy.

What do you do when too many people get "Stephen Pitcarin'd" or just regularly shot, stabbed, carjacked, robbed at gunpoint, raped, etc. etc.

Baltimore has a bad image, well...because bad stuff happens there that just doesn't happen as frequently in places like Annapolis or Frederick or, to use comparably sized cities, like Seattle or Portland which have different demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore