Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

This was really strange. I saw this link on another thread and took the quiz. When finished, my number one was Baltimore and my number two was (yes, you guessed it) Portland, Oregon. Unbelievable. I thought DC would have been my number two but it was down the list (like 15 or something like that). I guess housing costs may have had something to do with the difference. Anyway, interesting quiz for anyone who wants to try it.
Cool quiz. Many of my results were expected like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Scottsdale AZ but also a few surprises like Greenville, South Carolina, El Paso, and Jackson, Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Cool quiz. Many of my results were expected like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Scottsdale AZ but also a few surprises like Greenville, South Carolina, El Paso, and Jackson, Mississippi.
from what i've read u do not i repeat DO NOT want to go to Scottsdale. Materialistic, stuck up, boob jobs.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 AM

13 posts, read 94,766 times
I'm a Baltimoron at heart but I heard that Portland is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The Mountains the forest the lack of pollution, but 300 million miles from the beach.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 29,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbiz View Post
Wow 115k! hmmmm...

The only area "down past federal hill" where a house can be had for 115k is pretty hillbilly/White slum. At least when I lived in Baltimore.

But, probably not for long. Gentrification, like in Canton, will eventually displace them as well, and the area will become "East Federal Hill" or something.

If they're moving from Boston I doubt they want to live in an area like that.

To OP: think Chelsea...

Hamden is pretty far from 115k now.
No, in the south side it is starting to change. Some people I know started out in the south. It is really not all the hillbillies anymore.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM

234 posts, read 1,062,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Boy 34 View Post
The Mountains the forest the lack of pollution, but 300 million miles from the beach.
Portland IS beautiful and close to beautiful beaches on the Pacific.....far more scenic than Ocean City I can assure you.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetchie View Post
Portland IS beautiful and close to beautiful beaches on the Pacific.....far more scenic than Ocean City I can assure you.

Scenic yes---it's beautiful. the mountains, etc. Spent two years there as a child--beautiful area but the beach is for the eye---not for swimming. The water is freezing and most of the time, a bit chilly for me. I actually prefer the Atlantic because I go to the beach to swim, not hang.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Maryland

Oregon

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Stretchie--Thank you for posting your pictures. They completely back up my view. Pacific beaches for the eye. Atlantic beaches for swimming. I always prefered the sunset views from the Pacific vs. the sunrise over the Atlantic. But, I am a swimmer so I'll stick with the Atlantic.
And Army Boy--you are correct. The beaches on the Oregon coast are quite a hike to get to from Portland.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:15 PM

The Pacific is chilly, that's for sure. Wetsuits are common for surfers in the area and I presume that they are still cold. The picture in the photo is of Cannon Beach, 79 miles West or Portland or about an hour and 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon when everyone is headed that way.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM

I have found that the only Atlantic coast that could possibly compare to the Pacific in terms of natural beauty would be along Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Even the more crowded coastline of southern California has a beauty that is far superior than most of the Atlantic. But, just my opinion on that one. I guess this is all a bit off-topic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore