Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 15,559 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've been spending all of the holidays pondering a career decision I will have to make later this month, and needed some advice on the issue. I've spent countless hours going through old threads, and I see people on the site give very blunt advice (something I need regarding this issue).

Currently, I am located in Chicago and just graduated from grad school a couple of months ago. For the past couple of months, I've been on a serious job hunt. Thankfully that may have all come to an end this month. I have to two interviews lined up. One is with the State of Hawaii and the other is with the City of Baltimore. They are pretty much for the same position, its just a Hawaii pays a little better because of the higher cost of living. The job in Hawaii also is a grade higher ( Hawaii analyst II or Baltimore Analyst I).Lets say I get a job offer for both jobs, where should I go?

~NOTES~

. Interviews are going to be done on the phone and Skype.

. Only 25 yr and only child. will have some financially support of parents until Ia'm on my feet

. I love Chicago but I'am so over the snow and the cold. I understand Baltimore has similar weather.

. I Imagine a Chicago lifestyle is prob very similar to a Baltimore. But I am intrigued in living a real authentic Hawaiian lifestyle. But not sure if its worth it, if I am going to be broke and not able to do much.

. My salary would be around 40k or higher for Baltimore, 50k or higher for Hawaii.

. I know my money will go way longer but come on its Hawaii....

. I feel like I could advance my career farther in Hawaii since I starting at a Higher level and I have a masters degree. It would mean I would prob have to live there for a while which I wouldn't have a problem with. Working in Baltimore would give the opportunity to go on to other cities after I have gained some career experience.

. I am really worried about housing in Hawaii, I really just want to spend 1000 to 1500 month on rent. I understand I could get a really nice place in Baltimore for that amount.

. Im worried about how difficult it would be for me to move to Hawaii. Should I even bring a lot of stuff? ( car, furniture, ect...)

I know it sounds like I'am leaning towards Hawaii. But I want to make the smart move. I want to know what would be better for my career and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
North Shore!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM

127 posts, read 182,935 times
It depends on what matters to you more over the long-term: career or finances. I recently faced a similar decision when I had a job offer in Hawaii. After crunching the numbers, I couldn't justify the move because I'd have to live with a roommate in order to save money each month. If you want to live on your own on Oahu in a decent (not luxury) place, be prepared to shell out 1500 to 1700 a month on rent. The cost of food, gas, and utilities are also much higher than on the mainland. According to this calculator, an annual salary of 50k in Hawaii is roughly the same as making 35k in Baltimore, which doesn't get you very far. And then the move to Hawaii itself can cost quite a bit if you plan on hauling your car and a lot of furniture over there.

Last edited by Tarheel8406; 01-05-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Hawaii beckons and they are starting you at a higher level. What more is there to think about?

If you want to think some more, I suggest you read the thread on the Baltimore forum titled "Mayor Rawlings-Blake labled the worst mayor in America". Pay close attention to post #9 by EducatedBro82. I can relate to it because many years ago when I was in school I substitute taught in Baltimore City. It was somewhat of a miracle if one got paid properly and on time. I see the city hasn't changed a bit. It is hard to believe that in this century one needs to go in person to the administrative offices of a major American city to fight for the money that they already earned as a city employee, not an outside contractor, but such is the case. The city is so dysfunctional it can barely perform the simplest tasks.

If you are worried about the housing costs in Hawaii, I suggest you have a talk with the people who hire you, AFTER (not before) you have been offered the job. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,940 times
Default We just returned from Hawaii . . .

. . . but don't pretend to be experts.

If you like the offer and can figure out a way to stretch your money to cover housing, why not? That's why you are young. But please realize that milk is $8 gallon, gas a dollar more than here, and the pineapples come from Central America, where labor costs are so much lower. Also factpr in the cost of airconditioning which may be steep, depending where you live.

Not surprisingly, Hawaii has a big concentration of retired military who can shop at PXes.

Also consider that were you to work on the Big Island, for example, rountrip air to Honolulu can be $250, while Los Angeles is only $350.

Since we were on a cruise that included our food, we only had three restaurant meals during our stay. One, at the suggestion of a friend living in Honolulu, was at a Japanese all-you-can-eat place in the Waikiki area. The quality of food was not as good as at Teppanyaki in Lansdown, nor was the selection of items. Except that mahi-mahi was terrific. That meal was about $13 pp. We also had two good meals on the Big Island, neither expensive. But that was because our friends living there knew where to take us.

Also take into consideration whether your spouse would be happy/unhappy in paradise. Because I know a couple, where the husband is doing exciting things and his wife is going crazy.

Last edited by barante; 01-05-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 AM

458 posts, read 644,897 times
What kind of question is this?
I mean I love Baltimore, but this is not even a good comparison of choices.
How can anyone resist warm weather all year round?
Choose Hawaii if you can afford it.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
A vehicle will be a major cost factor for Hawaii. I would pick Baltimore...depending on the work environment!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
This is a tough choice. Hawaii is considered paradise but will it be worth it after 6 months? I have heard that it is extremely expensive. There are also cultural differences. I think you would be happier in Baltimore. Baltimore city is a great place for young folks. There is a lot to do here. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,567 times
Hawaii no doubt

Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
What kind of question is this?
I mean I love Baltimore, but this is not even a good comparison of choices.
How can anyone resist warm weather all year round?
Choose Hawaii if you can afford it.
It's not even "warm" all year. It's a comfortable 70's year round. If it's too hot move a little higher up the mountain and live where it's cooler. No brainer. I only wish we had done something like this before our children moved out, got married and started planting anchors(grandchildren) in Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore