Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,755 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I live in Federal Hill and have a girlfriend who is moving from out of state with me around summertime. I've done a few searches and from what I understand, Baltimore City schools is a lottery system. While Maryland has been ranked #1 in public schools, it's hard to believe as I look at stats for schools in my area. He is 11 and will be attending middle school. Is private school the only option to guarantee that he gets into a great school? It doesn't seem possible for him to go to a different county and go to school, right?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Hi Bobby,

Welcome to public education purgatory!

I live near you, my wife is a city public school teacher, have two kids, one private and one in a decent charter (entered via lottery system, long waiting list). Honestly, middle school is probably the time when it is best to go private so you have control and can do the best to ensure a positive outcome. PM me if you want suggestions.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Public middle schools in Baltimore City pretty much suck. Even Roland Park's gets mixed reviews. Mt Washington just started one that's going for IB certification soon but it's only been a couple of years since it started so the jury is still out. From there your only decent option is the Ingenuity Project, a gifted program that focuses of science and technology and has chapters in 4(?) schools. The kid would have to take the entrance exam and score very high.

I have been told this same thing several times by multiple people from all walks of life... even teachers. Perhaps there is another viable public option out there but I haven't heard abotu it. A few of the specialized high schools start at 6-7th grade (?) so maybe one of those is a good option?

I think private is likely to be your best option.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM

34 posts, read 74,620 times
There are some good schools for middle school kids if you dig deep: Hampstead Hill Academy, City Neighbors, KIPP Ujima Village, Thomas Jefferson (near Federal Hill), Federal Hill Prep, and others. Don't go by the number ratings on greatschools.com - they don't always tell the whole story about a school. Read reviews, talk to parents, go to open houses, etc. There are terrible schools ranked a "2," and awesome schools ranked a "2."

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM

30 posts, read 143,335 times
I used to work at KIPP. I have mixed feelings. I am not saying the education is bad, there are some solid, dedicated teachers there, but there are some real inner city problems in that school and the administration does not address them properly. I think this school is great for kids living in poverty who have no choice other than attending regular Balt City schools and this gave them oppty for scholarships to private schools.

I personally wouldn't send my kids there for the behaviors issues alone.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS2010 View Post
I used to work at KIPP. I have mixed feelings. I am not saying the education is bad, there are some solid, dedicated teachers there, but there are some real inner city problems in that school and the administration does not address them properly. I think this school is great for kids living in poverty who have no choice other than attending regular Balt City schools and this gave them oppty for scholarships to private schools.

I personally wouldn't send my kids there for the behaviors issues alone.
+1
I knew folks that worked there, helped open it.
Behavior/peer group is a major influence on how a child will do in a class and school. You can control your kid to a point, but not the others. Teachers have to deal with the disruptive kids and often it is at the expense of the non-disruptive kids. Administrations are instructed to minimize disciplinary actions. Some parents/guardians don't react when informed of issues. And the disruptions continue. So the class sinks to the level of the lowest common denominator. After 6 years of this foolishness, we pulled our oldest and sent her private.

Public elementary thru 4th grade is OK, 5th into middle school is awful and you better get your kid into a good high school...

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybmore View Post
I live in Federal Hill...
But do you OWN there?
iow... how committed to living in the City are you?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM

95 posts, read 171,000 times
As a product of the Baltimore city school system, Roland Park Middle was good. We had a lot of kids do well in high school and beyond based on reconnections on Facebook. Our class had Poly's valedictorian, Western's valedictorian, Gilman's valedictorian, and many successful professionals.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
You're thinking about an alternative to Baltimore City schools, when really you should be thinking of an alternative to Baltimore City. Given there outstanding schools less than 20 min away, why would you do that to a kid?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
I have 2 sons who attend and have attended RP Park: one went to RP Park from K through 8, and now attends accelerated math and science program (ingenuity) at Poly.

Compared to schools in wealthier counties we may not have the same amenities, but my kids are getting a solid education. I would suggest your girlfriend come for a visit, meet the principal and talk to the parents! It really depends on your child and if it's the right fit.

Also: as a family we have benefitted from our kids being able to walk and bike to school--something that has become increasingly rare in this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: