Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM

27 posts, read 32,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The only thing Independent City means is that it isn't included in a county.

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baltimore is small by area. It isn't Philly, it isn't LA, it isn't Dallas, it isn't Chicago, it isn't Atlanta, it isn't NYC. You clearly haven't driven across a city like Philly, Chicago, Dallas, or LA, which can take forever, because they are massively sprawled out. Baltimore isn't even close to being as big as any of those cities in terms of area and traffic nearly nowhere as bad in Baltimore as those cities. The only places a tourist are going to go are probably Hampden, Inner Harbor, Canton, or Camden Yards. The other 50% of Baltimore isn't even worth going to unless you want to get robbed, which means you can cut the size of Baltimore by probably half. You can take a taxi from Hampden down to the Inner Harbor or Camden Yards (and which is also the further one would need to travel in Baltimore) for probably about $18-25, which when split between 3 people really isn't that expensive at all.
I live in Baltimore (Hampden) and completely agree. The OP is coming here and wants to do the typical tourist stuff at the Inner Harbor. His best bet to get there is to take a cab from Penn Station. Or Uber if he has that on his Iphone. It's very inexpensive. It's a helluva walk from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor (and through some crappy areas) and the bus system in Baltimore is not tourist friendly at all. He'll end up lost and scared.

I also agree with your larger point -- Baltimore is not any of those cities and measuring it by "area" is very misleading because there LOTS of areas in the city where one would never want to go. Even the cool "hip" areas don't really compare to cool "hip" areas in other cities. Hampden, for example, is nothing like Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle. That's not to say that Hampden doesn't have some nice spots -- it does. But it's not in the same league as big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The only thing Independent City means is that it isn't included in a county.

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baltimore is small by area. It isn't Philly, it isn't LA, it isn't Dallas, it isn't Chicago, it isn't Atlanta, it isn't NYC. You clearly haven't driven across a city like Philly, Chicago, Dallas, or LA, which can take forever, because they are massively sprawled out. Baltimore isn't even close to being as big as any of those cities in terms of area and traffic nearly nowhere as bad in Baltimore as those cities. The only places a tourist are going to go are probably Hampden, Inner Harbor, Canton, or Camden Yards. The other 50% of Baltimore isn't even worth going to unless you want to get robbed, which means you can cut the size of Baltimore by probably half. You can take a taxi from Hampden down to the Inner Harbor or Camden Yards (and which is also the further one would need to travel in Baltimore) for probably about $18-25, which when split between 3 people really isn't that expensive at all.
Baltimores bigger than Atlanta though. Never said it was bigger than Philly, LA, Chicago I simply said its not a small city like Richmond VA, or Annapolis. Its a major city it always has been. Comparing Baltimore to cities like NYC or Chicago isn't even fair. Your irrelevant. Baltimores "rough" areas are no worst than Philly's or Chicago's. Your point is irrelevant. Point is Baltimore is the biggest city in Maryland and in my opinion a big city. It covers 92 SQ miles. If you caught a cab from NW Baltimore to Fells Point it would cost around $50-60, i know this for a fact because I've done it before. I think the mans point was that Baltimores central business district is small in area. That certainly doesn't mean Baltimore is a small city.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan81 View Post
I live in Baltimore (Hampden) and completely agree. The OP is coming here and wants to do the typical tourist stuff at the Inner Harbor. His best bet to get there is to take a cab from Penn Station. Or Uber if he has that on his Iphone. It's very inexpensive. It's a helluva walk from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor (and through some crappy areas) and the bus system in Baltimore is not tourist friendly at all. He'll end up lost and scared.

I also agree with your larger point -- Baltimore is not any of those cities and measuring it by "area" is very misleading because there LOTS of areas in the city where one would never want to go. Even the cool "hip" areas don't really compare to cool "hip" areas in other cities. Hampden, for example, is nothing like Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle. That's not to say that Hampden doesn't have some nice spots -- it does. But it's not in the same league as big cities.
Your point? Who cares if the areas aren't places you want to go? Point is Baltimore isn't a small city. If Baltimores a small city then say DC is too because baltimore is bigger than DC geographically.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Baltimores bigger than Atlanta though. Never said it was bigger than Philly, LA, Chicago I simply said its not a small city like Richmond VA, or Annapolis. Its a major city it always has been. Comparing Baltimore to cities like NYC or Chicago isn't even fair. Your irrelevant. Baltimores "rough" areas are no worst than Philly's or Chicago's. Your point is irrelevant. Point is Baltimore is the biggest city in Maryland and in my opinion a big city. It covers 92 SQ miles. If you caught a cab from NW Baltimore to Fells Point it would cost around $50-60, i know this for a fact because I've done it before. I think the mans point was that Baltimores central business district is small in area. That certainly doesn't mean Baltimore is a small city.

Baltimore is 92 square miles and Atlanta is 132 square miles. That surprised the hell out of me as I have always thought of Atlanta as a small town when compared to Baltimore. Even more surprising is that Atlanta's metro population is larger than Baltimore's metro population. Philadelphia is 141 square miles, making it about one and a half times the size of Baltimore. However, Baltimore is bigger than DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and St Louis.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:27 AM

556 posts, read 946,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan81 View Post

OK, I was the first to suggest a taxi, so I obviously don't think it's a terrible idea, but you're way off base here. For starters, why would you use uber when there is a line of cabs ready and waiting at the train station? Secondly, the walk from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor is a straight shot down Charles St - clean, safe, beautiful buildings - not crappy at all, and nearly impossible to get lost. Finally, the circulator stops TWICE at the train station, once on each side, then drives straight down St Paul to the harbor. It's about as tourist friendly as it gets.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM

27 posts, read 32,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
OK, I was the first to suggest a taxi, so I obviously don't think it's a terrible idea, but you're way off base here. For starters, why would you use uber when there is a line of cabs ready and waiting at the train station? Secondly, the walk from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor is a straight shot down Charles St - clean, safe, beautiful buildings - not crappy at all, and nearly impossible to get lost. Finally, the circulator stops TWICE at the train station, once on each side, then drives straight down St Paul to the harbor. It's about as tourist friendly as it gets.
I agree completely about the Circulator -- I was talking more about MTA #11. I would not recommend the city buses to tourists.

People use Uber because they don't want to deal with taxis -- in most places where Uber is very popular, there are still plenty of taxis. But it really is a matter of personal preference -- I use both taxis and Uber regularly.

As for the walk downtown, it's not bad if you stay on Charles or Saint Paul the entire time. But if you decide to go on some of the side streets, it can get dicey. I used to live one block from Charles on Park Avenue and it was not always safe.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Your point? Who cares if the areas aren't places you want to go? Point is Baltimore isn't a small city. If Baltimores a small city then say DC is too because baltimore is bigger than DC geographically.

I think a more accurate description would be Baltimore is not as 'congested' as say DC or even ATL. Since your cab fare is a product of both distance and time you may be able to get from one section of Baltimore to another in a cab 'cheaper' than doing so in the aforementioned cities.. because its less congested thus less time sitting at lights and in traffic wont have as much of a negative impact on your fare. The fares in DC are likely higher than in Baltimore.. not sure of ATL though... Anyway.. just a thought.....

Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think a more accurate description would be Baltimore is not as 'congested' as say DC or even ATL. Since your cab fare is a product of both distance and time you may be able to get from one section of Baltimore to another in a cab 'cheaper' than doing so in the aforementioned cities.. because its less congested thus less time sitting at lights and in traffic wont have as much of a negative impact on your fare. The fares in DC are likely higher than in Baltimore.. not sure of ATL though... Anyway.. just a thought.....
I completely agree. DC and ATL def are more congested. I was just making the argument that saying Baltimore is a small city like Pittsburgh, Alexandria, Wilmington, or Annapolis is irrelevant. But I agree with your post.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
I completely agree. DC and ATL def are more congested. I was just making the argument that saying Baltimore is a small city like Pittsburgh, Alexandria, Wilmington, or Annapolis is irrelevant. But I agree with your post.

Right... One reason why I like Baltimore is because it has all of the amenities of most major cities without the congestion, prices, etc. You can go down to Fells or even Harbor East and find a parking space. even if you cant the City has atleast three garages within walking distance where you can park for like $5 after 5pm.. That is unheard of in many major cities.. I am amazed at how many folks though are not aware of these garages (or maybe they are and just dont want to pay) and will park in sketchy areas and walk a great distance to get to these areas.. then post on these boards that something bad happened to them or their car... I havent had any issues with parking in a City Garage.. well worth the $5 for the piece of mind....

But you are right comparing Baltimore to a 'small city' like Wilmington or Annapolis is just an attempt to be insulting....

Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Right... One reason why I like Baltimore is because it has all of the amenities of most major cities without the congestion, prices, etc. You can go down to Fells or even Harbor East and find a parking space. even if you cant the City has atleast three garages within walking distance where you can park for like $5 after 5pm.. That is unheard of in many major cities.. I am amazed at how many folks though are not aware of these garages (or maybe they are and just dont want to pay) and will park in sketchy areas and walk a great distance to get to these areas.. then post on these boards that something bad happened to them or their car... I havent had any issues with parking in a City Garage.. well worth the $5 for the piece of mind....
Exactly. Mostly outsiders or tourist that don't know the city that well park in the sketchy areas. I don't even see how they could miss it, if you go through downtown I guarantee your going pass a garage somewhere. The Garages are so convenient, and not even sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore