Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM

175 posts, read 288,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Im visiting Baltimore for 5 days at the beginning of April. I would love a locals perspective of what things I should see , and everyones favorite places to eat. Online guides and a good starting point, but people who live in a city know so many more interesting places. Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Start on this website: Live Baltimore and http://baltimore.org/ to get a general idea of neighborhoods.

Figure out if you are coming during any events or festivals. Early April may still be too soon for many activities, but you'll definitely have a great time!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM

really?? no restaraunt picks and faves?? anyone.....anyone....?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 17,299 times
There are so many great restaurants in Baltimore. So let me just throw a few ideas out there:

Woodberry Kitchen (this place is great)
Meet27
Sascha's

Or search online for a Baltimore food tour. The one that goes through Little Italy is fun and tastey. It starts at Attman's deli, (which has been there for 99 years) and finishes at Piedigrotta Bakery.

Also, this: //www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rab-cakes.html

And I'm sure some of the locals can weigh-in for a non-yuppie perspective

Old 01-30-2014, 04:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Restaurants....tons on the Avenue in Hampden. I love Golden West on the weekends for brunch.

Cosign on Meet 27 and Woodberry.

Inner Harbor....Miss Shirley's is the only one I bother with since it's pretty much for tourists down there.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Have food at Belvedere Market then go see a movie on the main screen at the Senator Theater.

Check out the famous burger joint in Federal Hill (Abbey's I think).

Get some cheap oysters and clams from Faidley/Lexington Market.

Depending on how much time you have, I would try one of these suggestions. The list is in decreasing order of too much time on your hands to hardly any.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM

225 posts, read 429,382 times
Everyone is different, but I would focus on one neighborhood each night.

E.g., Hampden: go on a Saturday, when you can rummage around in all the antique/bookstores. It's a fun place to window shop. Then, go to dinner at Grano Pasta Bar. Best meal for your dollar in Baltimore, and run by Italians. It's a Rome-style pasta bar, so bring your own wine from the Wine Source, a good liquor store just around the corner. If you're lucky, you'll find Corner BYOB doing $1 oyster shots just down the block.

Area 405 is a really interesting art space has movies on some Fridays, that come with home-cooked food. They tend to screen indie/old movies, if you like that kind of thing. Also BYOB.

Baltimore has some awesome Greek Restaurants. Most of them cost $$, but if you're a sophisticated diner you cannot go wrong with either the Black Olive (old school, small, intimate) or Ouzo Bay (sleek and modern). Get a bottle of Assyrtiko wine and order the Bronzini. Make sure they give you a side of olive-lemon sauce. Another good option is Meli, or their restaurant next door which has a beautiful garden.

Woodberry Kitchen, Bottega, and Birroteca are all really good. I would put Woodberry on top. If the weather is nice, it's a great place to have brunch outside. Take a walk around the small neighborhood there, it has some interesting converted Mill architecture and a few small artist shops.

If you like throwback movies, you could go to the Charles Theater on a Thursday night. Grab dinner at the Tapas place next door first, and take your sangria into the movie with you.

Try and see an opera at the Engineer's Club. You won't get inside too many mansions like that in your life.

An Die Musik Live! Is also an interesting venue that gets a lot of local artists and jazz in particular.. See the Cuban Jazz group there if you like that kind of thing. I thought it was awesome. You could eat at Brewer's Art after, they make their own beer and the food is good.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
The new Cafe Poupon is opening on Charles St soon, and hopefully will be a nice place to relax with coffee or wine between the Inner Harbor and Mt Vernon.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM

thank you all for the great suggestions! now to carefully plan so that we can get everything in!! Want to drive to DC one day to go to the smithsonian as well

Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Just to let you know, you can take Marc down to Union Station and walk over to the Smithsonian while also taking a nice peek at the Capitol building on your way. Depending on your vehicle's MPG, it might come-out cheaper and relieve you of the stress of driving and finding open parking meters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore