Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times

Advertisements

Lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
"Hillbilly ripoffs" according to a lady in Provincetown, Mass., who made the mistake of hiring some of John Waters' friends to work in her shop.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I was in NYC during the MLK Holiday Weekend and stayed down in Chelsea.. I have to admit NYC/Manhattan is quite the urban experience for urbanites like myself.. Ive been to NYC dozens of times usually on day trips from Philly.. But staying over the weekend and walking the streets at night gave me a whole new pespective.. The level of history, new construction, revitalization, street life, and the sheer masses of tourists, visitors, business people and the like totally stamped out any sense of urban ills that may have been around.. From homeless people ranting in the streets to would be thugs or robbers.. I walked down W 30 street which is a side street compared to Broadway, 34th Street, 7th or 5th Ave at 2am to my hotel.. NOOOO One was around.. it was darker than the major streets and yet I felt quite safe... I dont know if people would say the same thing about Water Street, Commerce Street, or East Redwood in our City...

Obviously aside from the Glimpsed section in The Sun Paper.. and maybe a few spots in Harbor East... most of the City is not as fashion conscious as a square block around Union Square or along 5th Ave..

I say all that to say... YEAH.. compared to NYC Baltimore certainly may come up short if people are looking at it in comparison.. but so will 90% of the other cities in the USA when compared to the Big Apple ....

Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default Luv

New York is New York. Still in the 1950s, The Chicago Tribune's famous Colonel McCormick ordered that his New York correspondent's stories should carry a byline as well as this underline: Tribune World Service. McCormick thought New York was that alien.

I love New York and its energy -- and beautiful women on the subway. I lived a summer in Brooklyn, near Sunset Park. The area is improving; there is even a new hotel catering to the Chinese (a minority in the diverse neighborhood) near the Lutheran Medical Center on 4th Avenue.

Last edited by barante; 02-05-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Great, good, bad, worse or indifferent! New York is New York...you can take it or live it! You could blow that city up into 10,000 pieces, it would still be New York and better than most! That just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was in NYC during the MLK Holiday Weekend and stayed down in Chelsea.. I have to admit NYC/Manhattan is quite the urban experience for urbanites like myself.. Ive been to NYC dozens of times usually on day trips from Philly.. But staying over the weekend and walking the streets at night gave me a whole new pespective.. The level of history, new construction, revitalization, street life, and the sheer masses of tourists, visitors, business people and the like totally stamped out any sense of urban ills that may have been around.. From homeless people ranting in the streets to would be thugs or robbers.. I walked down W 30 street which is a side street compared to Broadway, 34th Street, 7th or 5th Ave at 2am to my hotel.. NOOOO One was around.. it was darker than the major streets and yet I felt quite safe... I dont know if people would say the same thing about Water Street, Commerce Street, or East Redwood in our City...

Obviously aside from the Glimpsed section in The Sun Paper.. and maybe a few spots in Harbor East... most of the City is not as fashion conscious as a square block around Union Square or along 5th Ave..

I say all that to say... YEAH.. compared to NYC Baltimore certainly may come up short if people are looking at it in comparison.. but so will 90% of the other cities in the USA when compared to the Big Apple ....

Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM

My ex-wife is from East New York (Brooklyn). You know, the home of Henry Hill (Lucchessi), Carl Sagan and few others. East New York reminds me of Baltimore a lot!! As a matter of fact, there are many similar streets signs East New York and Baltimore share that can be found in both cities.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Did you venture up to Harlem?

Quote:

Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Did you venture up to Harlem?
I didnt venture there this time.. but I have been in the past.. to see the Apollo Theatre, Lennox Lounge and Justins... That was several years ago....

Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 37,781 times
Quote:

I lived on 112 (next to Tom's restaurant from Seinfeld) and would stroll up and down Broadway all the way to Soho, sometimes fairly late (after 10pm). Nothing ever happened and i felt quite safe. NYC is incredible and no other US city compares. Chicago comes the closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: