Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

Baltplanner,

Yeah, I think you're one of a few honest people on the boards who has the nerve to speak truth to power!!! I exhibit all these skills you mentioned and people want to try and box me with their inferior intellects, "you think you're white" ying yang.."No negro and hillbilly! It's called intelligence! Go get some!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
In my experience a lot of native baltimoreans (some of which I work with) have terrible grammar, a poor education, and unimpressive organizational and problem solving skills. If an employer's goal is to hire the best qualified/ most capable candidate then it might just be that their best option is someone who didn't grow up in the hood. Not every employer has the moral inclination or legislative necessity to be magnanimous when it comes to selecting employees. That's the whole reason MD still has such high Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) state contract goals.... because if they didn't very few poor, uneducated black people would be very competitive in winning contracts.

As a side note MBE also provides preference for women owned businesses. In my experience I've seen women owned business out compete black owned businesses for many a contract... sometimes explicitly for the reasons I explained above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 AM

"As a side note MBE also provides preference for women owned businesses. In my experience I've seen women owned business out compete black owned businesses for many a contract... sometimes explicitly for the reasons I explained above."

*I think MBE is joke period! But that is a topic for a whole other discussion. I still think there is air of favoritism and foolishness when it comes who gets award contracts. The sentiments you've shared, I've personally heard this from individuals from MBE say that Black owned business come with half ass presentations, bad organizational skills, and so forth come in trying to compete with some powerful entities. Some business owners cry racism, "but what about that sh*&y ass lego my ego proposal" that looks like you put it together the night before??!"

Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 AM

I disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Low skill service jobs for local and state government and enlisting in the military are still probably the best pathways to a decent paying, law abiding, stable lifestyle for most of the poor and uneducated.... one of the few ways the government is providing a "hand-up" vs. "hand-outs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore