Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM

64 posts, read 122,975 times

Advertisements

I like DC. I visit often and consider it a close relative of Baltimore. I do think it is sterile compared to other east coast cities. I wouldn't want to live there although I am very jealous of their public-transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:42 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
We see DC as a transit society. No real culture, people go to work their and then leave. Not saying its true but Baltimore def has more of a neighborhood feel.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,370 times
I hear what you all are saying. DC is extremely transient. Some may hate this, but I love it. It has so many different cultures and I love that. Although I do understand people saying that they prefer Baltimore's regional culture to DC's international culture. To each their own. For me, I think that DC and Baltimore are headed in completely different directions. DC is becoming a world class city with lots of energy, a good metro, history, good architecture, and is climbing the ladder up into the ranks of NY, Paris, and London on some levels (however DC is still far from competing with these cities on every level). While DC is headed the international way, Baltimore seems very happy with being an all American city, which is so cool. It's interesting how they are becoming so different, but nice at the same time because you are so close if you ever want to escape the city you are in and head to a new city with a different vibe.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM

19 posts, read 37,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I hear what you all are saying. DC is extremely transient. Some may hate this, but I love it. It has so many different cultures and I love that. Although I do understand people saying that they prefer Baltimore's regional culture to DC's international culture. To each their own. For me, I think that DC and Baltimore are headed in completely different directions. DC is becoming a world class city with lots of energy, a good metro, history, good architecture, and is climbing the ladder up into the ranks of NY, Paris, and London on some levels (however DC is still far from competing with these cities on every level). While DC is headed the international way, Baltimore seems very happy with being an all American city, which is so cool. It's interesting how they are becoming so different, but nice at the same time because you are so close if you ever want to escape the city you are in and head to a new city with a different vibe.
DC cannot compete with Chicago, SF or Miami, let alone NYC and London (what???). And no, it will never get there because, by design, it can't achieve population density needed to be a great city. DC is more like asuburb with a lot of monuments than a real city.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM

64 posts, read 122,975 times
Quote:
I also don't see DC coming anywhere near Paris. London, or New York in terms of stature. It is more like a big Ottawa. It doesn't have the bustle of Philadelphia or Boston either. Not to disregard it. As I mentioned, I like DC but take it for what it is.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataMD View Post
DC cannot compete with Chicago, SF or Miami, let alone NYC and London (what???). And no, it will never get there because, by design, it can't achieve population density needed to be a great city. DC is more like asuburb with a lot of monuments than a real city.
By design? I assume you are talking about the height restrictions. You are just like the confused in DC who believe that height=density. It doesn't. & if DC is a suburb, than Baltimore is rural. DC has one of the largest downtowns in America, some of the best shopping in the US, a thriving restaurant scene, & extremely diverse neighborhoods. Far from a suburb

Old 02-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltItaly View Post
I also don't see DC coming anywhere near Paris. London, or New York in terms of stature. It is more like a big Ottawa. It doesn't have the bustle of Philadelphia or Boston either. Not to disregard it. As I mentioned, I like DC but take it for what it is.
Go to Penn Quarter at about 6 PM any day of the week & tell me it doesn't have an energy comparable to NY. DC being the capital of the US already makes it a world class city. & I didn't directly compare it to NY, Paris, & London. I said certain aspects do DC can compare

Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 PM

19 posts, read 37,750 times
Quote:
By design? I assume you are talking about the height restrictions. You are just like the confused in DC who believe that height=density. It doesn't. & if DC is a suburb, than Baltimore is rural. DC has one of the largest downtowns in America, some of the best shopping in the US, a thriving restaurant scene, & extremely diverse neighborhoods. Far from a suburb
I've never said Baltimore was a world-class metropolis, but at least it's not pretending to be. Baltimore (rightly) compares itself to DC; but DC compares itself to London and NYC (LOL).

DC has terrible shopping and, as I said, is inferior to cities such as Chicago, Miami and SF. NYC etc are a different league entirely.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
DC has a harbor.
Exactly.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataMD View Post
I have a pretty clear view of Potomac from my window and to me it feels like any other random river. On the other hand, Baltimore harbor, especially around Canton feels like I am at an actual seaside community. I wish people planted some palm trees around Baltimore harbor.
Don't know how well that will work for you guys up there lol...But then again, if Chicago could pull that off with their beaches, then why not I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore