Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times

Advertisements

In the first place, they weren't scheduled for this county until November, per the power co's notification. More importantly, they weren't supposed to install it until you gave your verbal OK when they came to the door, because it's a political issue and potentially litigious. But the contractors are really hustling for the commission that the power co. pays for each installation.

Settling aside the allegations that these things emit harmful rays and are a riskier fire hazard than the standard meters, I can't see any benefit to the consumer. Can see benefit to the power co., e.g., they will no longer need meter readers.

More control from Big Brother exerting his will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,720 times
It will encourage people to pay their bills on time and have no way to dispute bill overcharges. The smart meters can also be used to shut off your utilities remotely.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
It will encourage people to pay their bills on time and have no way to dispute bill overcharges. The smart meters can also be used to shut off your utilities remotely.
Which goes to my point that they help the power co., although I agree that people should pay their bills on time. I hope I'm not being paranoid about the possibility of something more sinister here. You know, like the power cos. regulating your thermostat setting remotely at the dictate of the govt., under pressure from environazis, even if you have a history of always paying timely....

Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

I lucked out and have my meter in my house, so I'll delay it for as long as possible.

I had problems with my water bill being over by $1000+ a couple of years ago. I had to pay, then dispute and wait for over a year to get reimbursed. Nightmare. The city wanted to keep my money as a credit and I really had to fight to get a check issues. Actually called the mayor's office and got it handled.

I bet others will have similar experiences with BGE,. Plus the health factors of the Smart Meters has me concerned.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM

280 posts, read 675,260 times
Google Maryland Smart Meter Awareness for info. You can opt out, but I have heard there is a threat of being charged monthly for not having one (still awaiting Maryland PSC decision).

I am really on the fence about this. I'm all about energy efficiency and using technology to solve problems, and I'm not concerned about out wifi radiation, but I don't like the idea of the utility being able to remotely control my thermostat or monitor electricity use, and such a device is potentially hackable (subject to mischief, or using electricity usage data to guess if someone is home or not). They can already read my meter without entering the property (drive by reader), what else do they need?

What do others think?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 PM

225 posts, read 429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Which goes to my point that they help the power co., although I agree that people should pay their bills on time. I hope I'm not being paranoid about the possibility of something more sinister here. You know, like the power cos. regulating your thermostat setting remotely at the dictate of the govt., under pressure from environazis, even if you have a history of always paying timely....

You are being paranoid. These meters are not all-knowing machines. They can't change your thermostat any more than they can get up and type an email on your computer.

Also, they emit microwave radiation in short bursts, similar to sending a text message from your cell phone. This is not energetic enough to cause any health problems.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
Google Maryland Smart Meter Awareness for info. You can opt out, but I have heard there is a threat of being charged monthly for not having one (still awaiting Maryland PSC decision).

I am really on the fence about this. I'm all about energy efficiency and using technology to solve problems, and I'm not concerned about out wifi radiation, but I don't like the idea of the utility being able to remotely control my thermostat or monitor electricity use, and such a device is potentially hackable (subject to mischief, or using electricity usage data to guess if someone is home or not). They can already read my meter without entering the property (drive by reader), what else do they need?

What do others think?
I signed to opt out, but still received a letter requesting to put one in. Ignoring and waiting. I posted about this a couple of months ago. Skeptic about those that try and tell me there are no health risks....but that's just me.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM

252 posts, read 425,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I signed to opt out, but still received a letter requesting to put one in. Ignoring and waiting. I posted about this a couple of months ago. Skeptic about those that try and tell me there are no health risks....but that's just me.
Opting out will still require the meter - it's functionality will just be turned off. Think about what would happen if you sold your home and moved: the utility would have to come back out and install a new meter then, at a much higher cost than what they pay to buy them in bulk and install in bulk.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:49 PM

252 posts, read 425,632 times
I think it would be good to read this thread, from late August.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
Opting out will still require the meter - it's functionality will just be turned off. Think about what would happen if you sold your home and moved: the utility would have to come back out and install a new meter then, at a much higher cost than what they pay to buy them in bulk and install in bulk.
I'm never selling....would never have a mortgage this low!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: