Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyNPratt View Post
You and Emma are the best posters in this section

Infinite Heights is this sections "Troll" aka Uncle Ruckus, I wouldn't take his post seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrYRtCui5EE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQWlri5GGw
Infinite Heights may not be as tactful as some would like, but a lot of what he says is true.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM

428 posts, read 848,655 times
Men Threaten Worker With Gun Over Fried Chicken | WREG.com

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Memphis house fire leaves 3yo dead, Aunt just wants FOOD STAMPS??? - YouTube

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Sad thing is I minored in Africana Studies and my pops was a panther back in the day. He raised me to know our history and to always help the people. I help these people daily with my job trying to help the people. The thing is most of our gifted, talented, and educated leave our communities for employment. That is why I am at the point where it is like I can just go back to Mississippi and also help my people but not deal with this Urban Black madness.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
The best you can do is post up clips of Boondocks!!!? Seriously??! Is that your answer to perplexing social problems within the African American community is by posting up video clips??!!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
You need to read some books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
This is literally the worst bull**** I have ever read. "Forced" integration? Are you f*cking kidding me? Yeah, how DARE those blacks demand equal opportunities that whites have! How DARE they want to use the same institutions that white people have had access to for centuries! How DARE they not sit secluded in their own communities, cut off permanently from white paradise! Please, give me a break. Everyone deserves the same access to whatever institutions they desire, regardless of race. So they shouldn't just support the "black community," they should support all of their community, which in your poor example sounds like its what they're doing. Of course, the support isn't reciprocated because of individuals like YOU who continue to perpetuate the myth that segregation was a good thing. I bet you're one of those people that complains when black people actually do what you say and calls them "racist".

You also act like people of all races don't do this-live a first class lifestyle and not care about education and things that don't matter. And I can tell you that you're wrong. For example, live in an all white suburb and you'll see a different kind of culture. Not a stomped on, beaten, oppressed, we-give-up culture you see in poor black neighborhoods, but instead a we-dont-care, too good for others and entitled culture here in the suburbs, especially in my generation. Think black teens are bad? What about all the white teens who party, drink alcohol, do drugs, drive drunk, destroy property, and get let off with a warning by county cops who don't care? They expect their riches to stay with them and couldn't give a living crap about their education, and the parents either encourage it, don't care enough to turn it around, or aren't even aware of whats going on. And they get away with that stuff because they have generational money; ever notice that those with money get let off easier than those who don't? For example, Justin Bieber got arrested for drunk driving-he could have killed someone, for Christ's sake!!!-and he was let out only hours afterward. He went on and lived his life and still has throngs of mindless supporters because he's filthy rich. No long term consequences. A poorer black individual wouldn't get off so easily.

Seriously, can we close down this whole thread? It's so blatantly racist that it's sickening. The whole thing is a "let's bash poor blacks!" thread.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

It is one thing to give up after years of struggling as it takes less energy to continue on fighting. That is understandable. But the re-engagement needs to start with the home first, block next, neighborhood, then city. It is possible to be beat-down and poor and to have self-respect at the same time. A community of poor people full of self-worth and dignity is richer than the richest suburb in the U.S. I know it is easier said than done, but the saying that change comes from within is true. Getting rid of the corrupt political system in Baltimore is a start, but will not solve everything. Neighbors need to develop a sense of community pride, as seen in Prospect Park.

I know there are plenty of truly good people living in Baltimore, but the general idea of "This is Baltimore" seems to permeate...everything. It has become Baltimore culture.
I agree that real change starts from the bottom up and not the top down. So yes, it needs to begin at a grassroots level. I also think that one of the real problems is that these discussions always happen without the very people most affected present. Someone else is always deciding who they are and what they need from miles away, then imposing solutions. Maybe if people with resources/power went into the community and got to know people, and listened to what they had to say, and worked WITH those who are willing... maybe we'd get somewhere faster.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM

219 posts, read 405,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Good question. Just certain types. I know its cliche to say this but I do have some black friends that I have loads of respect for... and I never speak with them about these issues for fear of losing their friendship. It just seems that the large majority of black people in the Baltimore area fall into the culture that I've described. In fact the majority of black people I've met all over the country seem to and that's why I said I don't want to be around large black populations...I'm just playing the statistics.

I just re-read this post and I have to say that I'm ashamed of myself- especially for the potion in bold. The majority of black Americans are not terrible people...there's just a large concentration of the black underclass that live in Baltimore City.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 AM

777 posts, read 880,709 times
"Simply put, you are not Black if you do not wear Nikes, listen to hip-hop/R&B, smoke menthols, drink Colt 45, read Jet"........and begin your name with a K if you are a DJ.........but seriously...

......each of the "black traits" you mentioned are related to a corporate entity. The logical extension of the argument would say that black culture as we know it today was created by the corporations to foster behaviors so they could profit from them.

It is no coincidence that most of the prominent black people that the corporate media feeds
to the black masses are in entertainment and sports.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
"Simply put, you are not Black if you do not wear Nikes, listen to hip-hop/R&B, smoke menthols, drink Colt 45, read Jet"........and begin your name with a K if you are a DJ.........but seriously...

......each of the "black traits" you mentioned are related to a corporate entity. The logical extension of the argument would say that black culture as we know it today was created by the corporations to foster behaviors so they could profit from them.

It is no coincidence that most of the prominent black people that the corporate media feeds
to the black masses are in entertainment and sports
This always bothered me. I grew up learning about George Washington Carver and the peanut. It wasn't until much much later in life, on my own, that I learned Dr. Carver was an agricultural scientist of tremendous ability and a visionary that is largely responsible for reinvigorating the entire agricultural economy of the deep south. The guy should be always be mentioned in the same conversations with Ben Franklin, B.F. Skinner, E.O Wilson, and the other great American scientific minds, rather than the small inset boxes we see in textbooks or on the "black history" posters put up in February. (I think every month is black history month)

In my community, I often wonder how many residents know that Henry Louis Gates, maybe the premier black academic in America today grew up in Piedmont WV, and still has family in Cumberland. I suspect more locals would claim our most famous black native as Steve Trimble, ex-NFL safety.

I think our country MAY be getting a bit better about this with Gates, Ben Carson and Neil deGrasse Tyson getting some public air time on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore