Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. Baltimore
Denver 11 68.75%
Baltimore 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 12,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I don't mind playing this game.

Skyline: I'm assuming we're talking strictly from a skyscraper perspective. The Rocky Mountains forming a backdrop behind the row of skyscrapers gives Denver a very scenic skyline. The skyscrapers in Denver are also stretched out in a long row rather than in one dense cluster, which makes downtown Denver look bigger than it really is. Baltimore's skyscraper cluster is concentrated and there's no mountains to provide a scenic backdrop. From this perspective, Denver wins.

From a city view perspective, if you're on a boat in the harbor or in Federal Hill Park or at Tide Pointe, the views of the surrounding neighborhoods stretching gently up the hills away from the waterfront gives Baltimore a truly urban character. Baltimore may not have mountains but Baltimore has hundreds of church spires, domes and tower-like structures such as the Washington Monument, which gives the Baltimore skyline both an urban and historic character that Denver doesn't. From this perspective, Baltimore wins.

Diversity - Denver has a large hispanic population and a modestly sized African American population. Baltimore has a growing hispanic population, a large African American population as well as a burgeoning Asian-American population. Baltimore is more diverse, city and region, than Denver. Baltimore's also more socio-economically diverse than Denver. In terms of true diversity Baltimore wins, but Denver has less racial tensions and far fewer racially segregated areas.

Income - Denver is a white collar city. The Baltimore region is white collar but has a large traditional blue collar population. As a city Baltimore is certainly poorer than Denver but the average household incomes in the suburbs are probably higher than Denver given the proximity to Washington and Washington incomes, but Denver will have a lower cost of living. On the whole I'd give the edge to Denver because of the general lack of a proper urban underclass and a large professional scene.

Crime - Baltimore has worse crime. As mentioned Denver has nothing comparable to the urban wastelands of East and West Baltimore. But from a regional perspective the crime rates in the Baltimore suburbs compared to Denver suburbs are probably similar so it's a moot point for most people in either region. From a strictly city perspective, Baltimore does have far more crime and drugs. It's a gritty city, Denver is not.

Social Epicenter - what do you mean by this? Social activities? Denver has LoDo and Cherry Creek. Baltimore has the waterfront neighborhoods, Mount Vernon and Hampden. Or are you referring to cultural activities? Baltimore easily wins with much better museums, art galleries and cultural venues, not to mention proximity to the cultural scenes of Washington, Philadelphia and New York. Or recreational activities? Baltimore has proximity to sailing and water sports but Denver has the mountains and I've read enough times that Denverites are among the most physically active and healthy people in the United States. I won't provide a clear winner for "social epicenter" because it entirely comes down to what you're looking for.

Most laid back - subjective. But my personal impression is that Denver is more laid back. When my daughter lived in Denver for a year after college, she remarked that coming from the East Coast she was surprised to notice no one ever asked her the following questions: 1. Where are you from? 2. What neighborhood did you grow up in? 3. What high school did you go to? 4. What college did you go to?

Very few people even asked her what she did for a living. The East Coast, not just Baltimore, is much more class and socio-economically conscious than the midwest and west and people are quicker to pigeonhole you by your background, profession and education.

Weather - Denver. No humidity and drier. The winters alternate between cold and warm spells. Even on cold days the strength of the sun can be strong. Denver has the most amount of sunshine of any major American city, besting even San Diego.

On the other hand Baltimore has four proper seasons and while Denver wins the edge in weather Baltimore's landscaping is much more lush. It's a green city compared to Denver. For much of the year Denver is a brown city due to the minimal landscaping in the city and suburbs and the lack of a forest canopy. The sprawl in Denver is much more obvious due to this.
As in social epicenter I mean which ctiy is more known? Which city attracts the most people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Looking for laughs here. I sure hope you meant aesthetically, tho' there are large parts of Baltimore that seem pretty ascetic.
Uh, well, I blame auto-correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: